Old 02-03-2018, 09:42 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Re-wiring existing roof lights

Hi all,

This is my first post in the forum as my partner and I just purchased a 2006 GMC E350 shuttle bus for our conversion!

I have done a lot of research and the electrical system for me seems to be the hardest part to grasp. It also makes it a bit difficult to think of adding lights to the ceiling when it's just got a whole one piece fiberglass roof rather than individual metals panels that school buses seem to have (same for the walls).

Ideally, I would keep the current wiring and just replace the light itself with power-efficient LED's

I was wondering if it's possible to do this and just make it so they run off the house batteries instead of the car battery?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - It seems to be a lot harder to find info for these fiberglass shuttle buses than skoolies
Jeremyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:17 AM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremyc View Post

Ideally, I would keep the current wiring and just replace the light itself with power-efficient LED's

I was wondering if it's possible to do this and just make it so they run off the house batteries instead of the car battery?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - It seems to be a lot harder to find info for these fiberglass shuttle buses than skoolies
Sure ! it's easy. You want to take a bulb out and look at the tiny numbers or post a pic.

Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 12.14.51 AM.png

Decide if you want bluish light or yellower light. That's what they mean by temperature

kelvin-color-temperature.jpg
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 12:24 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Sure ! it's easy. You want to take a bulb out and look at the tiny numbers or post a pic.

Attachment 18866

Decide if you want bluish light or yellower light. That's what they mean by temperature

Attachment 18867
Thanks for your response

is it possible to make it so these lights are powered by the deep cycle batteries we put in rather than the car battery that they currently use?
Old 02-04-2018, 01:06 AM   #4
Traveling

Quote:
Thanks for your response

is it possible to make it so these lights are powered by the deep cycle batteries we put in rather than the car battery that they currently use?
Sure ! remove the current battery and replace with deep cycle battery.

You are going to eventually want to get a DC power distribution system. Something that has some switches, gauges and most importantly- circuit breakers to protect wiring.

something LIKE this- do research, just grabbed this one, but it has a built-in charger for that house battery.

Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 1.05.16 AM.png

It's all here- start reading before you start spending!!!

Boat dc panel will get you by, but fewer features.

Screen Shot 2018-02-04 at 1.14.16 AM.png
Old 02-04-2018, 12:42 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
I would think that for temporary use you could find the fuse that powers the cabin lights you wish to repower remove the fuse and supply power from your house battery to the non power side of the fuse panel circuit BE SURE to fuse the circuit. Temporary only until you get your conversion going and install proper distribution center
Old 02-05-2018, 10:26 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you everyone for your helpful responses! I think I will probably use a professional to help me with all of this
Old 02-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #7
Traveling

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your helpful responses! I think I will probably use a professional to help me with all of this
Professional what? Electricians aren't real fond of these oddball 12V projects. You need to learn at some point...to maintain? It will get real $$$ to farm everything out. We can help.