Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2016, 03:46 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTrans
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Renogy 200w solar starter kit?

Is anyone familiar with the Renogy 200w 12v monocrystalline starter kit? Thoughts on it?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCRG22A/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_RMGrxbD0YPKND

I had somewhat decided not to go with solar at all, at least for the time being, but after stumbling upon this kit on Amazon for the price and with such good reviews it's got me reconsidering.

But I'm curious to here fellow skoolie thoughts.

Thanks!

WhiteWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:52 PM   #2
Skoolie

Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWhale View Post
Is anyone familiar with the Renogy 200w 12v monocrystalline starter kit? Thoughts on it?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BCRG22A..._RMGrxbD0YPKND

I had somewhat decided not to go with solar at all, at least for the time being, but after stumbling upon this kit on Amazon for the price and with such good reviews it's got me reconsidering.

But I'm curious to here fellow skoolie thoughts.

Thanks!
from what i have seen renogy is a great piece of solar but they expect you to know a little bit about solar energy and wiring. Dont forget you will need an inverter unless you plan to go full DC and have no AC
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 05:21 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Have it, like it. Keeps my 4 Dekas well charged. Run a 4.5 cf fridge even 'docking they do well. The fridge draws .8a (measured with Killawatt) plus the Xantrex invertor which is 2000w and 90% efficient.

Plug and play, easy install.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:36 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks guys. Yes I realize I will still need and inverter and what not for the AC side of things. But I think this will be a good start for us. I just couldn't get over the price. I feel like I was seeing people spend 3-5grand on solar systems which gave me sticker shock. I realize some of their systems were probably far more advanced, but I question if we really need any more than this one. As it is we don't have a TV or spend much time on computers and whatnot even in our regular house. I don't foresee us needing a very big power system in the bus.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:22 AM   #5
Skoolie

Chassis: IC CE
Engine: T444
Quote:
Thanks guys. Yes I realize I will still need and inverter and what not for the AC side of things. But I think this will be a good start for us. I just couldn't get over the price. I feel like I was seeing people spend 3-5grand on solar systems which gave me sticker shock. I realize some of their systems were probably far more advanced, but I question if we really need any more than this one. As it is we don't have a TV or spend much time on computers and whatnot even in our regular house. I don't foresee us needing a very big power system in the bus.
The 3-5 grand is the range i see for systems that can power an entire house. Also they include the price of solar specific batteries, when just about any deep cycle battery will work.
Azuleslight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:31 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
I just ordered this kit and it will arrive Monday! I am very excited, and i just found Trojan t105 batteries, here in Virginia, for a superb price.

Did you decide yet?
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:32 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carytowncat View Post
I just ordered this kit and it will arrive Monday! I am very excited, and i just found Trojan t105 batteries, here in Virginia, for a superb price.

Did you decide yet?
No we havent ordered yet. I havent done enough research to decide exactly what size system we will need, or if we should go PWM or MPPT. Which did you go with and why?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2016, 09:47 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas/International
Chassis: 3700
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 72
mppt

an mppt will get probably you 5% to 10% more power out of their panels than a pwm, they are at their best (compared to a pwm) when the sun is low and the outside temp is not hot,
the mppt's work best with high voltage panels, a 12v panel usually puts out 16v at the panel but for an mppt it is better to get a panel that puts out about 18v,
I like and use a morningstar mppt
Many wont get an mppt unless they have larger panel arrays, must calculate the difference in getting another panel or an mppt for the extra power
Old 06-24-2016, 11:49 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
Have the 300 watt renogy kit, a 225ah bank, and a aims 2000w inverter/70amp built in charger.
My goal for that system was to run the fridge, some fans and electronics for the pups when I'm gone.
Have the Rooftop AC run to a 30amp receptactle, where I plug in to from my 3000 watt gen (champion)
Works well for me, and the 300 watts of solar run my fridge, charging without a problem.
If the batteries go low, I can either drive the bus, or bring the gen to charge them up.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Yep they arrived and are installed. I went with 2 Trojan t105 deep cycle bats. if yoy are in VA there is a dealer her and the price is superb. I just have a little black and decker modified sine 500w inverter, but so far it has been wonderful, and i even used a corded drill the other day.

I really dont use much power with led lights and laptop and cell phone, plasma tv, cordless batt charger, fan, stereo, but i have ran it all for hours at night and haven't had a problem. I am considering plugging my mini fridge in just to see if it saps the power down.

Renogy makes great products. I may purchase 2 more panels in the future if i find more uses for electricity, but for now the 200w is more than adequate.
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:53 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereFast View Post
Have the 300 watt renogy kit, a 225ah bank, and a aims 2000w inverter/70amp built in charger.
My goal for that system was to run the fridge, some fans and electronics for the pups when I'm gone.
Have the Rooftop AC run to a 30amp receptactle, where I plug in to from my 3000 watt gen (champion)
Works well for me, and the 300 watts of solar run my fridge, charging without a problem.
If the batteries go low, I can either drive the bus, or bring the gen to charge them up.
So you guys run a conventional compressor style electric fridge off your solar/battery system? I have been trying to decide if we should try to build our system big enough to do that or if we will bite the bullet for new propane RV fridge. I am afraid that the new RV fridge and the cost of running off propane will be a bit expensive. I like the idea versatility of the RV propane/120v fridges, but from what I understand the conventional house/apartment fridges are actually much more efficient on electricity. I just haven't sat down and done the math to figure out of an electric fridge is feasible to run 24/7 off solar/battery system only, and what size system it would take to do so...
Old 06-27-2016, 03:03 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: d466 mechanical
Quote:
So you guys run a conventional compressor style electric fridge off your solar/battery system? I have been trying to decide if we should try to build our system big enough to do that or if we will bite the bullet for new propane RV fridge. I am afraid that the new RV fridge and the cost of running off propane will be a bit expensive. I like the idea versatility of the RV propane/120v fridges, but from what I understand the conventional house/apartment fridges are actually much more efficient on electricity. I just haven't sat down and done the math to figure out of an electric fridge is feasible to run 24/7 off solar/battery system only, and what size system it would take to do so...
My fridge/freezer is 4.5 cf, it holds enough for a week or so. I had it left over from college and decided to use it.
300 watts of solar is more than enough for me to run the fridge, fantastic fan, and some fans for my pups when I'm not there continuously for probably a few days.
I'm frugal with energy use so it's also enough most of the time to not have to run the generator at all. I'll cook on a bbq grill, or stove top inside (propane).
I bought 225ah interstate deep cycle batteries as sort of a test run before I go fully solar and probably go to Trojans.
Can't complain, it was fun learning to install, I can add a 4th panel for 400 watts and add batteries if needed.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:34 PM   #13

I would pay slightly more and go with Kyocera: KD 145 SX-UFU
Giorgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 04:45 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowhereFast View Post
My fridge/freezer is 4.5 cf, it holds enough for a week or so. I had it left over from college and decided to use it.
300 watts of solar is more than enough for me to run the fridge, fantastic fan, and some fans for my pups when I'm not there continuously for probably a few days.
I'm frugal with energy use so it's also enough most of the time to not have to run the generator at all. I'll cook on a bbq grill, or stove top inside (propane).
I bought 225ah interstate deep cycle batteries as sort of a test run before I go fully solar and probably go to Trojans.
Can't complain, it was fun learning to install, I can add a 4th panel for 400 watts and add batteries if needed.
Our systems are similar, even the fridge size.