Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2019, 09:33 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Repurposing Warning Flashers

Hi,

Now that I’ve disconnected the 8 way flasher, what to do with the warning/emergency lights? I have been considering disco light show, lasers, servo-controlled utility lights...

What have you done?

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:00 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Front uppers are turn signals tied in to the factory turns, and driving lights on a dedicated switch for the front and back up lights tied into the factory backup lights on the rear replacing the reds.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:19 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I skinned over my entire front cap above the windshields to make a clean look after I removed the flashers there; after it's painted it will look like it came from the factory that way. The rear red flashers are still in place, repurposed as extra high-mount brake lights that work only when I have my fog lights on: in thick fog or heavy rain I'm more concerned about some mouth-breather coming up too fast behind me, so anything I can do to prevent someone rear-ending me is well worth it.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 04:45 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
My plan on the rear is to swap reds and yellows, tie outer (now) yellows to turn signals and inner (now) reds with stop/brake lamps. No ideas yet up front but I lean towards Iceni_John's idea to smooth them over. I could see some value in front high turn signals also but I think most school buses have that covered pretty well. So maybe remove the reds and then relocate those also in the rear in the center, giving a total of 6 stop lamps.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: Chevy cut-away 6-window shortie
Engine: 6.0L Gasser
Fiberglass and bondo all the way on this end!
Old 05-17-2019, 09:33 AM   #6
Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3L
I put in all LED replacements. Front wired as marking lites and turn signals, the rear wired as stop turn and marker. Spendy but has a cool look to it.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:41 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
I put in all LED replacements. Front wired as marking lites and turn signals, the rear wired as stop turn and marker. Spendy but has a cool look to it.
I was thinking about doing this until I started pricing 7" LED lamps, and then steel discs started seeming more sensible.
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:49 PM   #8

I'd move all the reds to the rear, wire them as tail/turn/brake. Amber on the front as signal/marker. Or make them steady burn for look cool's at night.
Tlauden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:29 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/sk...tml#post275508

this is what I did. wish my bondo work was better but it is cleaned up.

steel plates welded on the inside and the holes filled with bondo.

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 11:16 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I replaced the bulbs with LED bulbs... It was much cheaper - and they seem to last (almost two year and counting...)

I searched Amazon for the specific bulbs and they were relatively cheap. There are several different types - but they swap out easily.

These were for the interior lights:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These were my brake lights:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KN3531Z...detail_2?psc=1

But be sure to check the different bulbs if you go this route - My 8-way flashers were one type, brake lights another, back-up, front directionals... etc.. all different. But overall - cheaper than buying the 7" LED replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I was thinking about doing this until I started pricing 7" LED lamps, and then steel discs started seeming more sensible.
Old 05-18-2019, 09:46 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
I'm putting spot lights in front and back for camping.
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:10 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Removed the front lights. We put clear lenses on the rear lights. The outer two will be controlled by a switch in the workshop of the bus and the inner two will be wired with the backup lights.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:59 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post

I just finished all LED replacements to all the lights. Up front for the flashers, I put big white lights to act as running lights. In the rear, I put reds on the outside that mirror the brakes. On the inside, I put more whites that mirror reverse.

Along the whole side of my bus I installed amber marker lights that flash inverse that of my turn signals. You WILL KNOW if I'm turning into your lane.
Attached Images

kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:12 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
I just finished all LED replacements to all the lights. Up front for the flashers, I put big white lights to act as running lights. In the rear, I put reds on the outside that mirror the brakes. On the inside, I put more whites that mirror reverse.

Along the whole side of my bus I installed amber marker lights that flash inverse that of my turn signals. You WILL KNOW if I'm turning into your lane.
Good idea. I had planned on mounting small LED's in the tops of each rubber wheel flare so I can see them better at night to know where that back wheel is. Connecting them to turn signals sounds safe.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:44 PM   #15
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Girardian Handicapped Commercial
Chassis: E-450
Engine: Ford 7.3L
Rated Cap: 9,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post

I was already thinking of front running lights and was going to do rear spots also. But then all this about brake lights in the rear for safety got me thinking. Then I saw this, and I think you have a really nice set up that accomplished all things. Not to mention the insanely awesome side blinkers. WOW! Do you have a build thread for this?
mc11237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:49 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc11237 View Post
I was already thinking of front running lights and was going to do rear spots also. But then all this about brake lights in the rear for safety got me thinking. Then I saw this, and I think you have a really nice set up that accomplished all things. Not to mention the insanely awesome side blinkers. WOW! Do you have a build thread for this?
There's 4 w/l, so 2 can be used for brake lights and the other 2 for spots in the rear, and brights and turn signals in the front.
Old 01-08-2020, 03:11 PM   #17
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Girardian Handicapped Commercial
Chassis: E-450
Engine: Ford 7.3L
Rated Cap: 9,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
There's 4 w/l, so 2 can be used for brake lights and the other 2 for spots in the rear, and brights and turn signals in the front.
Yea but I think the times I would want the rear spots the most is reversing which I would get by having them hooked to reverse instead of a switch. I'm thinking of adding separate lights pods around places that need dedicated outside light. Practicality will dictate the locations for the pods. And just hook them to a rocker.

But as far as the wiring. I guess you just cut the wire running to some computer that makes them flash and run it to the brake or reverse? People always talk about the wiring stopping the bus from starting so a thread that shows the exact wiring for this would be amazing for me.
mc11237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:51 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yea but I think the times I would want the rear spots the most is reversing which I would get by having them hooked to reverse instead of a switch. I'm thinking of adding separate lights pods around places that need dedicated outside light. Practicality will dictate the locations for the pods. And just hook them to a rocker.

But as far as the wiring. I guess you just cut the wire running to some computer that makes them flash and run it to the brake or reverse? People always talk about the wiring stopping the bus from starting so a thread that shows the exact wiring for this would be amazing for me.
I'll just splice the rear top yellow lights to the turn signal wiring. The reds to the back up lights and change to spots. On the front the reds get wired to the high beam circuit and the yellows to the turn signals.
Old 01-08-2020, 04:55 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/ka...ild-22680.html
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:11 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466E (195hp, 520tq)
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I'll just splice the rear top yellow lights to the turn signal wiring. The reds to the back up lights and change to spots. On the front the reds get wired to the high beam circuit and the yellows to the turn signals.
We plan to jumper a pair of the rear lights, with clear lenses, from the backup lights. However, when I looked at the bulbs, the normal backup lights are the little 5w bulbs and the warning lights are 55w. We may rig in a relay and 12v power for the upper lights to avoid popping the original backup light circuit. The same may apply to the directionals. Of course, if you converted the upper lights to LED, then forget what I just said.....

Tags
warning lights