Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 01:42 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Zaphod, you're getting good information here but do yourself a favor and get someone knowledgeable to look over your wiring before you go hot. You're trying to translate UK electrical into US electrical and you're bound to get the translation wrong somewhere along the way.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:00 PM   #22
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
Zaphod, you're getting good information here but do yourself a favor and get someone knowledgeable to look over your wiring before you go hot. You're trying to translate UK electrical into US electrical and you're bound to get the translation wrong somewhere along the way.
Getting a certified electrician should be mandatory in most cases.

So much can go wrong and building a house/rv needs to stay fun and safe!
Old 08-31-2015, 03:17 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
"America...and the United Kingdom.

Two nations separated by a common language".
Old 08-31-2015, 07:53 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 466dt
Rated Cap: 59
I just returned from a trip to Lowe's. It seems that a 30A cord is going to be pretty challenging to handle! Thus, it looks very much as though I'm going to go with 30A rather than 50A.

The socket I have is not the RV type which might make my cable less susceptible to theft.

I looked at cables in Lowe's... Wow! What a price!

If I must, I could put a main breaker in a box elsewhere such as next go the 12v fuse panel in my forthcoming battery compartment.

Realistically, I'll probably be running a Haier mini fridge, a kettle, a microwave, a coffee maker, a slow cooker though I hasten to add not all at once.

I have no idea how much power those mini fridges use. I know I have one in the shed. I've never used it.

The plug for the socket I have seems to be made for much heavier cable. It's going to be interesting trying to pad the cable grip to take lighter cables.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:39 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Consider one of these Progressive Dynamics distribution panels. You get AC breakers, DC fuses and a DC converter with a three stage battery charger in one fairly compact package. I've got one and am very happy with it.

Mighty Mini All-In-One System AC/DC Power Distribution Panel and Inteli-Power Converter
Old 08-31-2015, 08:43 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Neat. I already have my panel though. I generally don't return things so I'll stick with it.

For the 12v panel, a friend recommended a fuse panel from a GM Astra.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:55 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephod_beeblebrox2 View Post
The socket I have is not the RV type which might make my cable less susceptible to theft.
Go with a standard TT 30 plug & receptacle or a 30 amp twist lock. If your extension cord was to be stolen you'd have a hard time getting another cord. Unless you're camping out in the big city you shouldn't have much problem with pilferage.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:02 PM   #28
Bus Nut

I can build my own cables I don't really see a need for twist lock. That just seems excessive to me.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:06 PM   #29
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Dear god you need to get on google and educate yourself.

There is nothing wrong with the way we wire our homes here in north America.

Only thing wrong is your lack of understanding on the subject and thinking your home country is so Superior.

If everything is that great there, why don't you move back?

Twist lock ensures that the connection is fully engaged, preventing heat buildup that leads to fires from a loose connection.

Again, educate yourself before you harm yourself or someone else.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 09-01-2015, 06:23 AM   #30
Skoolie

Also, wiring you bus with the local standard will allow for easier fixes on the road by any electrician.

If you use a mix of UK and US standards, you might get some weird looks if you need electrical help on the road...
Old 09-01-2015, 07:02 AM   #31
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblah View Post
Also, wiring you bus with the local standard will allow for easier fixes on the road by any electrician.

If you use a mix of UK and US standards, you might get some weird looks if you need electrical help on the road...
I'm used to weird looks. I won a raffle on Saturday at work. It was an insulated lunch bag that says "girls rule". I went and collected it in front of the whole company. It doesn't matter to me what it says. What matters is whether it keeps my sandwiches cool! My gf is constantly shocked that I go to Lowe's in my work on the bus clothes because I apparently look like a hobo. Lol.

Having thought about it, I'll plug on (pun intended). Looks like I'll be fitting 4 breakers in my 6 breaker box, each rated at 15A. I'll feed two 30A cables from the box to a small breaker box that holds two breakers and that will be located in the house battery compartment along with the 12v fuse box.

I'll put a pair of 15A breakers, one for each wire. The cables on the shore side of that box go to my 50A socket. I then build a couple of adaptors - one to interface with a 15A house cable and one to interface with a 30A cable - if there's a difference. I've seen 30A cables in Lowe's but not looked at the ends.

Having checked conduit prices, I'll go with steel tube conduit under the bus. I'm not sure I really need conduit inside but I'll probably put it as far as the breaker box.

I've a mind to put 4 sockets directly on the breaker box then just plug cables into the breaker box. It's more work but gives me a cleaner installation

My first task though is to rebuild the house battery compartment. The cretins that built it, built a leaky door, built the compartment out of plywood and balanced one end on the edge of the running battery compartment and secured one of the other corners to the skirt. The 4th corner is just flapping loose. Needless to say, the wood is rotted!
Old 09-01-2015, 08:41 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
I'm used to weird looks. I won a raffle on Saturday at work. It was an insulated lunch bag that says "girls rule". I went and collected it in front of the whole company. It doesn't matter to me what it says. What matters is whether it keeps my sandwiches cool! My gf is constantly shocked that I go to Lowe's in my work on the bus clothes because I apparently look like a hobo. Lol.

Having thought about it, I'll plug on (pun intended). Looks like I'll be fitting 4 breakers in my 6 breaker box, each rated at 15A. I'll feed two 30A cables from the box to a small breaker box that holds two breakers and that will be located in the house battery compartment along with the 12v fuse box.

I'll put a pair of 15A breakers, one for each wire. The cables on the shore side of that box go to my 50A socket. I then build a couple of adaptors - one to interface with a 15A house cable and one to interface with a 30A cable - if there's a difference. I've seen 30A cables in Lowe's but not looked at the ends.

Having checked conduit prices, I'll go with steel tube conduit under the bus. I'm not sure I really need conduit inside but I'll probably put it as far as the breaker box.

I've a mind to put 4 sockets directly on the breaker box then just plug cables into the breaker box. It's more work but gives me a cleaner installation

My first task though is to rebuild the house battery compartment. The cretins that built it, built a leaky door, built the compartment out of plywood and balanced one end on the edge of the running battery compartment and secured one of the other corners to the skirt. The 4th corner is just flapping loose. Needless to say, the wood is rotted!
One of your threads is titled "writings of a mad woman" http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/mu...man-11140.html
Old 09-01-2015, 08:49 AM   #33
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
One of your threads is titled "writings of a mad woman" http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/mu...man-11140.html
So? Does it make any difference in an online forum whether I'm male, female, black, white or even a pickled gherkin?
Old 09-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Not at all but why would the lunch bag cause awkward looks or whatever?

Hey I'm all for everyone doing whatever they want and being whatever they want to be. Whatever gender you identify yourself as is PERFECTLY fine with me. PERFECTLY FINE.
I just wanted you to know that you've caused a bit of confusion and no one wants to inadvertently misidentify you.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:06 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Not at all but why would the lunch bag cause awkward looks or whatever?
You don't see too many pickled gherkins carrying bags that say girls rule.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:13 AM   #36
Bus Geek

Quote:
girls do rule

until I send her on vacation!! and the house is mine, hahahahaha
Old 09-01-2015, 09:25 AM   #37
Bus Geek

Quote:
10-4, duly noted.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:37 AM   #38

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
So what, I put a pink collar on my Rottweiler to shut people up because they thought the name I chose was too feminine.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 09-01-2015, 09:44 AM   #39
Bus Nut

Yeah, people get way hung up on gender. If it's raining and my umbrella is perceived as gender inappropriate, so what? It keeps me dry and that's all I care about. Look in the stores - cosmetics mirrors are inexpensive, men's shaving mirrors are expensive. Indeed the sane gender neutral mirror from either section will be vastly more expensive if it comes from the men's section.
Old 09-01-2015, 10:06 AM   #40
Bus Geek

I used to rock a pink motorola razr phone because I got it cheaper than the comparable blue model... And if you have a pink lighter its a lot less likely to be pocketed by a friend!
Closed Thread