Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2martins View Post
We got 4/0 wire for the batteries themselves, but not from the inverter to the fuse out. Does that make sense? No! Inverters produce AC, at about a tenth of the DC current needed to be converted into AC (at least, for a 12V inverter). The AC output from an inverter should go through AC circuit breakers just like in a house breaker panel. If you mean from an inverter's built-in charger, then you could fuse it if you want. Most folk don't. Just use a fuse large enough to prevent inadvertent blowing under spike loads, or a suitable CB. NEC needs a 1.25 rating for fuses and CBs, but remember that fuses and CBs protect the wiring, not the loads. My son is actually the one doing this. He knows more about it than I do, but I doubt he knows enough because he's 18. There just only so much experience one can have at 18!! He has read up some on RV wiring, he's an engineering student, he has some experience wiring small projects with way less power, and he's smart. But I'm paranoid and I don't know enough to double check him which makes me uncomfortable.
There's a lot more to wiring (or plumbing, or pretty much anything else!) an RV or bus conversion that initially meets the eye. Read, read more, learn, read even more, question what doesn't seem right to you, and carefully think through everything you do.

John

Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote