Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2018, 02:55 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Shuttle bus key switch to operate the bus door??

I am converting a shuttle bus into my skoolie.

Things are going great but I’m having trouble replacing the switch that operates the electric entry door.

There was a key switch located just outside the door that they must have broken the key off inside. (I had to cut the lock off with a sawzall because it was all nasty)

Anyhow...

There are 3 wires that went to the switch. A red, blue, and black.

The black must be a common or something. When you tap the blue wire to it the door closes. When you tap the red to it, it opens.

Problem is that the “open” wire is only hot when the ignition is in the “run” or “accessory” position.

It’s a pain to keep the key in the accessory postition to be able to open the door.

Trying to figure it out. Saw in one post that it might reverse the polarity and thats how the door is actuated.

Any thoughts?

Also....I can’t find a key switch that’s for a 1 inch opening. I’ve googled and searched eBay. Just stuck.

25074 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:00 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Coach & Equipment MFG
Chassis: ford E350 superduty
Engine: 5.4 liter v8
Rated Cap: 7 passenger
try here
https://www.delcity.net/store/Igniti...tches/p_807862
Old 04-03-2018, 06:15 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Coach & Equipment MFG
Chassis: ford E350 superduty
Engine: 5.4 liter v8
Rated Cap: 7 passenger
i would see if any hot wire will open the door,.. if so just run a hot from somewhere (batt fusebox)
Old 04-03-2018, 06:49 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
get some reducing washers on the electric parts and supplies aisle at home depot. sounds like you need 1 inch x 3/4 . Use 2, one on the front and one on the back. What if you hooked up the "open" wire to the accessory terminal on the switch and the "close" wire to the start side of the switch?
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:52 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
And just run a fused unswitched hot to your inition switch door opener. Turn the switch to acc and the door opens turn the switch to start and it closes.
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:53 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25074 View Post
I am converting a shuttle bus into my skoolie.

Things are going great but I’m having trouble replacing the switch that operates the electric entry door.

There was a key switch located just outside the door that they must have broken the key off inside. (I had to cut the lock off with a sawzall because it was all nasty)

Anyhow...

There are 3 wires that went to the switch. A red, blue, and black.

The black must be a common or something. When you tap the blue wire to it the door closes. When you tap the red to it, it opens.

Problem is that the “open” wire is only hot when the ignition is in the “run” or “accessory” position.

It’s a pain to keep the key in the accessory postition to be able to open the door.

Trying to figure it out. Saw in one post that it might reverse the polarity and thats how the door is actuated.

Any thoughts?

Also....I can’t find a key switch that’s for a 1 inch opening. I’ve googled and searched eBay. Just stuck.
2 wires are switching...3rd is ground...go to a RV store or truck body shop...or online...you want a "keyed double pole switch with DCV rating"

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:55 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty View Post
2 wires are switching...3rd is ground...go to a RV store or truck body shop...or online...you want a "keyed double pole switch with DCV rating"

Similar to this:

Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:30 PM   #8

I was wondering if you were ever able to figure out the solution to this and make a key work when bus key was not actually in the bus in the on position or turned in accessory position? I need to add a key switch to outside of mine as well because, like you mentioned, keeping key on and/or having to do so very time someone needs to come through the side door is quite bothersome and I can not find out any information to make it happen
barbaraanne21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 11:56 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Front Engine
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
It's really not THAT complicated but you have to understand electrical stuff a little bit.

In this circumstance you have to find where the wires come from (maybe hard) or just run a new 12V wire to the switch that is on full time (probably easier). It's just a matter of doing the work to get the wire there. finding permanent 12V sources should be easy with a meter, but if you're not up on the electrical side of things it's probably going to be difficult.

maybe that's not helpful but I don't think there's going to be much of a tutorial on this particular item as it seems different on a lot of busses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaraanne21 View Post
I was wondering if you were ever able to figure out the solution to this and make a key work when bus key was not actually in the bus in the on position or turned in accessory position? I need to add a key switch to outside of mine as well because, like you mentioned, keeping key on and/or having to do so very time someone needs to come through the side door is quite bothersome and I can not find out any information to make it happen
rffffffff is offline   Reply With Quote