Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2017, 09:50 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Skoolie Solar/House Electric. How does this look so far?

Just curious if I wired this correctly as far as house wiring. I looked at the wiring in my actual home and it looked like neutral and earth were wired together. I have my inverter Live wire going to one line of breakers and then bridged over to the other one for the breakers on that line. One question I do have if this in fact correct is whether or not to link my inverter body's ground to the bus frame and also the neutral/earth bar of the home breaker panel to the frame of the bus as well. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
20170409_144902.jpg  

Kdruva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:46 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdruva View Post
Just curious if I wired this correctly as far as house wiring. I looked at the wiring in my actual home and it looked like neutral and earth were wired together. I have my inverter Live wire going to one line of breakers and then bridged over to the other one for the breakers on that line. One question I do have if this in fact correct is whether or not to link my inverter body's ground to the bus frame and also the neutral/earth bar of the home breaker panel to the frame of the bus as well. Thanks in advance!
Hey Kdruva,

Looking at the pic of your panel and it is not correct.

You have the Neutral and the Ground bonded. They should be isolated in your bus panel.

Also, you have no "Main" breaker or disconnect on the incoming line. I don't know that it is an absolute necessity but I would certainly want a way to de-energize the panel without having to go outside and unplug.

If you look at your home panel they will be bonded and that is correct but not in your bus/RV panel.

As far as grounding the inverter to the bus frame: yes. Although I have heard of some folks having strange issue when plugging inverters with auto transfer switches into GFI protected receptacles when doing this. They contacted the inverter manufacturer to resolve the issue.

The Neutral should not be bonded to the frame.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:46 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
This should be fun?

Out of curiosity, are you running a circuit for shore power also, or strictly solar?
Old 04-10-2017, 11:52 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Looking at the pic of your panel and it is NOT correct.

You have the Neutral and the Ground bonded. They should be isolated in your bus panel.

If you look at your home panel they will be bonded and that is correct but not in your bus/RV panel.
Thank you much. So then would the neutral or ground be connected to the bus frame along with the body of the inverter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredman View Post
This should be fun?

Out of curiosity, are you running a circuit for shore power also, or strictly solar?
The shore power goes through my inverter which is a Samlex 2,200 watt 24v inverter with a built in shore power switchover.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
The ground for your panel and inverter should both be attached to the body. Neutral wires do not ground to the body.

As Steve said, the ground and neutral bus bars in your bus panel should be separate (not connected together). The ground/neutral bond happens only at the shore power panel.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:59 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Awesome will do! Thanks for the help!
Old 04-10-2017, 06:05 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Looks like in that panel the bus bar across the top is for neutral and the one in the lower corner is for ground. Often there's a screw that can be installed through the neutral bar to bond it to ground. I see a hole in that neutral bar so it's probably not bonded, but it wouldn't hurt to verify with an ohm meter.

I recommend investigating the inverter's built-in shore power switchover feature to confirm that it automatically makes the ground-neutral bond when on inverter power and breaks the bond when on pass-through shore power.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote