Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 7.8 New Holland
Rated Cap: 72
solar electic system wireing

Hello, i was wondering if anyone has a wireing diagram of there solar electric system, with an inverter. I have an idea on how and what i want chargeing and when, i just need some visual ideas.

thanks
Mikey

MikeyBskunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit Diesel 6-71
Re: solar electic system wireing

Espiritus - thanks for posting! that link is dead but the blog title is at the top so still accessible. I have to say, I've read WildBlue's stuff ( http://www.wildbluebus.com/2013/01/diy- ... ShlxB3BOSp) which is pretty easy to read and understand. Just read the solar quick answer from the link you posted, and am now reading the longer explanation.. I've been looking up solar panels on the web all day. HandyBob's blog is great.

We are definitely going solar also, with a small wind turbine (most likely built ourselves - helloooo expensive). I looked at my electric bill for the past few months and I know we can half the usage there, but my head has been swimming. I'm more an artsy visual learner so the amps and kw's and watts and volts and things just don't compute too easily, my fiancee is the mechanical brains so I'm sure we'll be able to figure it out. It just seems like a lot. Between WildBlue and HandyBob though, things are starting to make a bit more sense.

I think it's ridiculous all this stuff is so expensive, but i suppose that's the price you pay for saving money...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=466562
inkblots84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Handy Bob Solar

http://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/

If you are contemplating solar then I would suggest that you READ ALL OF IT. Bookmark it. Read it at least once a week. Bearing in mind that Solar Bob has made some lifestyle choices that you may or may not be willing to do. That said, his website is full of real-life- been-there-this-is-what-works-for-me experience. In other words, he has the fruit on the tree. I find his website very informative. We simply are not interested in solar. But there is very good info on reducing & living with lower power usage. This is what interests me on solar. And why I read so many solar websites, books and blogs.

And I do believe I have run into some of the folks online he rants about. For I too have had the "discussion" about my little Dynaglo Tag-a-long LP heater he had about his brick heater. My heater is also a "brick" or "Tile" heater. I have a digital CO/LP detector. My Dynaglo does not produce CO. I've checked. Now my LP home range has not given off enough to make my CO detector notice either. Difference between a home style range and an RV range? It has raised my LP reading when the oven first lights up. But that's back to 0 in less than 5 minutes. Yet no one believes me. So I guess I'm not really here since we should have popped off a while back due to LP and CO poisoning according to the self-proclaimed "experts" on the RV forums.

EVERYONE here should read The RV Battery Charging Puzzle.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 7.8 New Holland
Rated Cap: 72

thanks for the replies i have been reading up on it