Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2019, 11:21 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
For my solar panels I do not want to climb anything, ladders and me do not get along. So fixed panels do well. I put more panels then I thought I needed for just this reason. I know it is not optimal.

By the way has anyone seen a chart that gives how much a panel will give in percentage at different angles to the sun?

Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:12 PM   #22
Bus Geek

https://www.pveducation.org/pvcdrom/...lar-insolation
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:24 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Thanks. I know what I have works, but would like to do the math and have a better idea as I plan a northern trip this fall.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:40 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
By the way has anyone seen a chart that gives how much a panel will give in percentage at different angles to the sun?
Like this?
Optimum Tilt of Solar Panels
https://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/pubs/redbook/PDFs/VA.PDF
https://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/old_dat...redbook/atlas/

This is why tilting panels is a good idea, especially in more northern latitudes.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 05:30 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

So it looks like about 1/3 less at my latitude for flat panels versus tilted to latitude.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:37 AM   #26
Bus Geek

No, regardless of latitude can double production

adjusting for the E-W angle, 2-4 times a day

some higher efficiency from cooler substrate
Old 05-02-2019, 06:08 AM   #27
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
My 'latitude' experience is tainted because of the excess wattage I have to cover for the winter months. That said...

My flat mounted panels, during the summer months between south (Arizona/New Mexico) and north (Montana/Minnesota), produce about 80% of rated power. The days are long and power is plentiful.

The same flat mounted panels produce a maximum of about 60% of rated power during the winter months in AZ/NM. It is during this period that I occasionally think of adding a tilting mechanism. I've not been north (with the coach/solar panels) during the winter months to compare.

There is no doubt that tilting them would increase output. I decided against doing that as I have no interest in messing with them manually. A semi-automated/electric system (probably using linear actuators) would be great but I already have plenty of projects (and the complexity of that various with the coach roof, panel size, etc.).

A few more considerations...
  • Panel sizes vary - some may be more 'manageable' than others. Mine are 7' x 2.5' and weight 56 lbs. each.
  • Wind is a VERY powerful thing. When constructing a tilting mechanism, please consider this (from all angles).
  • Ones style of use may make a difference. I typically remain stationary for 2-3 weeks at a time and that, at least in my mind, aligns fairly well with tilting the panels (once every 2-3 weeks). If I moved every day or every couple days, messing with the panels each time would VERY quickly become a serious nuisance.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 07:22 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Yes push-button automation is IMO silly, KISS.

It's just the height makes it hard.

Something like the old shop awning winders would help.
Name:  44-flower-shop.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  17.8 KB
Old 05-04-2019, 12:43 AM   #29
Bus Nut

https://www.instructables.com/id/Hyb...c-and-thermal/ Photovoltaic and hot water together. How water is pretty useful in a home. Heating, cooking, washing. Plus, the more heat you can carry away from the roof, the easier it is to keep the bus under the panels cooler, even if you were to install cooling fin on the bottom of the collectors and direct air over them.
pengyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:18 PM   #30
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
The panels I looked at (rigid panels) say at least one inch clearance for air flow.
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 04:25 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
If you are getting 80% efficiency is that enough or more than enough to cover your needs? Wouldn't it be easier to add more panels and not have to adjust them?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
If you are getting 80% efficiency is that enough or more than enough to cover your needs? Wouldn't it be easier to add more panels and not have to adjust them?
I agree.

Panels have gotten cheap enough that it was an easy decision for me to add more fixed panels versus a tilt mechanism.

Many times I don't have much control over which direction I am parked. If I am stuck pointed North, which way do I tilt the panels? East or West?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:41 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
If you are asking me, the answer is yes and maybe (but it's not that simple).

Yes, 80% efficiency meets my electrical power needs. However; there are many times when you do not get 80%. The winter months, for example. Throw in a week of poor weather and suddenly you have a power deficit. During those times, it may not be possible to have enough panels to provide sufficient power (due to roof space constraints).

Adding more panels sounds easy but it isn't in all cases. Roof space is the most significant problem. Then add cabling, charge controller sizing, etc... to the mix.

I am not a fan of tilting the panels manually (height, weight, forgetting about them sticking up, weight of an adequate tilting mount system, wind, etc.) but there is no doubt that it is a good way to improve the efficiency of the panels if you are constrained and cannot simply add more.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:14 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
If you are asking me, the answer is yes and maybe (but it's not that simple).

Yes, 80% efficiency meets my electrical power needs. However; there are many times when you do not get 80%. The winter months, for example. Throw in a week of poor weather and suddenly you have a power deficit. During those times, it may not be possible to have enough panels to provide sufficient power (due to roof space constraints).

Adding more panels sounds easy but it isn't in all cases. Roof space is the most significant problem. Then add cabling, charge controller sizing, etc... to the mix.

I am not a fan of tilting the panels manually (height, weight, forgetting about them sticking up, weight of an adequate tilting mount system, wind, etc.) but there is no doubt that it is a good way to improve the efficiency of the panels if you are constrained and cannot simply add more.
I suppose no matter how many panels you have you may end up in a situation where it is not optimal.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:36 AM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
I suppose no matter how many panels you have you may end up in a situation where it is not optimal.
Absolutely!

I am installing 1800 watts of panels initially. That, by my load calcs, should supply my needs in most conditions. Most conditions........ When I visit the family for Thanksgiving in Seattle I WILL be running the generator...
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:11 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Yes that is what my thought was. I figured 200 watts for my needs, however put 400 watts on the roof flat. That has worked out well for me. I often can not park in the best direction that a tilting panel would tilt the right way.

Every one needs to figure what their needs are, then decide how best to achieve that.