Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2019, 12:19 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Question Solar Install and Battery setup help needed

Ok so I've currently got 4 polycrystaline solar panels that put out 270w @ 44volts. I've also got 2 lithium batter packs that are salvaged Chevy Volt batteries, that are 48 volts each, and rated at 2kwh. And finally purchased two days ago is the inverter, which has a 48vdc input, and 120-240v output at either 50 or 60hz. Additionally it's rated at able to put out 15kw with a peak burst output of 60kw.
Where I'm lost at is how to combine all of this together, safely, and what I need to run between each of them to ensure I'm doing things right. I also made sure to get the port plug for each of the batteries from the volt harnesses so that I could make sure to get a Battery Management System installed, which again I am lost on how what when where, lol, basically lost all the way around with it. My plans are to expand battery storage over time by adding at least 2-3 more 48v Chevy Volt battery packs(ironic since I drive a 2012 Chevy Volt for my car), and add an additional 4 solar panels.
None of this is put together yet. I've just got the parts, please someone, can you help me with a diagram of how to make sure I set this up safely? I can most assuredly follow diagrams, just my knowledge of solar setup is so vague that even with all the youtube vids I've watched, I get ever more clueless with each one it seems. Yes Laugh, I do, lol at 50 I can put together computers galore, but this um HALP!!!!

Thank you in advance!

JPCoolBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:55 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
What sort of BMS do you have?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:26 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

As yet, I don't have a bms. I've got a feeling I have some soldering in my future to get this put done. I've been following several on YouTube that have done work with these battery packs like DavidPoz. I posted a question to him about a month ago to find out what bms he picked. Of course his BMS ended up being a battery monitor system b/c it can't handle the amperage according to his video's on there.
JPCoolBus is offline   Reply With Quote