Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2018, 12:56 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Navistar
Engine: International harvester DT446
Rated Cap: 72
Solar Panels - I know nothing

My husband and I want our bus to be off grind completely. In order to do that we need solar. We know nothing about it. What we need, how to wire, NOTHING. We're going to be running an apartment size fridge, compact washing machine, tankless water heater, pump, and maybe a RV AC unit. Is there any books websites one could suggest? Or your own personal knowledge?

Thanks everyone!

Moby_Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby_Bus View Post
My husband and I want our bus to be off grind completely. In order to do that we need solar. We know nothing about it. What we need, how to wire, NOTHING. We're going to be running an apartment size fridge, compact washing machine, tankless water heater, pump, and maybe a RV AC unit. Is there any books websites one could suggest? Or your own personal knowledge?

Thanks everyone!
Welcome! "Off grind" is one of more apropos typos I've seen here, and there's been a bunch!

handybobsolar.wordpress.com (if memory serves). Pretty much the textbook on the subject. You are going to have to figure out at least some SWAG guesses at how much electricity you want to be able to use at one time, how long you want the system to hold out without recharging (several cloudy days in a row), where to put the batteries, etc. Lots of moving parts and interrelations here. Read up; find and fill out a "load sheet", price a couple of things, see what you can afford, and ask us a lot of questions.

Also read everything on this topic ("Electrical, Charging and Solar") in this forum. Lots of people have been where you are right now, and have lived to tell the tale.

Good luck!
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 04:40 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
This article is an excellent starting point for working out the electrical installation:

http://faroutride.com/ford-transit-c...trical-system/

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:37 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby_Bus View Post
I recommend this book from Amazon. I bought the Kindle version and found it to be an awesome starting point.
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:03 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Off-Grid does not require a lot. If you need A/C , computers, gaming, washing machine, and other comforts, then there is no amount of solar that can help you. If you just want lights, water, fans, tablets, and a fridge, then solar will be your friend.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:52 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I have 2kW of solar on my bus, and it will run a 12K mini-split air conditioner through a Magnum MS2000 inverter. However, don't expect a bus-load of solar to run several typical RV A/Cs, or to heat your water, or provide space heating, or resistive cooking, or other power-hungry uses. Even with a lot of PV you will need to eliminate all unnecessary and inefficient appliances, and realize that it will never be like living in a house with unlimited electricity.

I suggest spending several months learning all you can about solar before making any plans or buying anything at all. The Northern Arizona Wind & Sun forum has lots of good advice, Handy Bob is cranky but generally accurate, and there are plenty of other resources to check out. Google is your friend.

There's not much point in being self-sufficient for power from the sun if you don't also have usefully-large water and waste tanks, so you should plan on having the largest that will fit. I have more than 200 gallons of water tanks, but if I could have fitted larger I would have done so! Enough is never enough!

Have fun.
John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Ditto what John said!

Solar is a fantastic and amazing thing but not the answer for everyone in every situation. I live very comfortably on 2kW of panels and a big lithium battery. Not cheap but it has paid for itself many times over - in my opinion.

There is no shortage of information available but applying it to your situation is what requires the learning curve as their are no simple 'recipes' that you can follow. Well... there are but they are pretty generic and don't fit every situation.

Here are a couple links to junk I wrote, might be helpful:

Is solar power for you? - JdFinley.com

Energy Audit - Watt For? - JdFinley.com
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #8
Almost There

The system I have specced our will run AC and all other comforts.
But we’re planning on using 4000w of solar and 55kw of Lithium.
Full creature comforts are possible, you just need to invest a bit more.
Rberriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:20 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: Navistar
Engine: International harvester DT446
Rated Cap: 72
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I really cannot sy how much I appear the knowledge and helpfulness on this site. It's incredible!
I'll look into everything everyone has suggested since the electrical and solar is my portion of conversion.
Thank you again!

-Gwen
Moby_Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:25 PM   #10

So glad this string popped up! So a thank you to everyone from me too! I am still in planning stages but also know nothing... going to go read as well. I really really want solar but need a computer at least 8 hrs a day... pluses and minus to a remote job I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sweetpea rambling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 06:54 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rberriz View Post
The system I have specced our will run AC and all other comforts.
But we’re planning on using 4000w of solar and 55kw of Lithium.
Full creature comforts are possible, you just need to invest a bit more.
"Invest a bit more..." Ha!

I see your signature says you have a mini-skoolie, I'd love to see the system you have designed and your plan for installation. Do you have a build thread here??
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 07:20 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rberriz View Post
...we’re planning on using 4000w of solar and 55kw of Lithium...
RB, honestly a small nuclear reactor may be a better option. Seriously though, I got your PM, thank you; I welcome your help.

And I also look forward to seeing your mini-skoolie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
I see your signature says you have a mini-skoolie, I'd love to see the system you have designed and your plan for installation...
Regarding this "mini-skoolie" business, I refer you to this thread.
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:23 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Chevy 5.7L V8 Gas
I'm a big fan of Backwoods Solar. They have some great articles on their website, and their pdf catalog has some energy usage estimates for appliances.
This site is helpful for determining running watts vs surge watts on motors and compressors like in refrigerators, power tools, A/C, etc.
MEllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:28 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Chevy 5.7L V8 Gas
I like Backwoods Solar. They have some great articles and their pdf catalog has some design and load estimation tips.
I like this site for estimating surge watts and running watts for inductive loads like motors and compressors (which are in refrigerators, power tools, A/C, etc.)
MEllison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 07:36 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT466E
Wow perfect timing as I too am curious about what all I could run with solar. Definitely following this thread, thanks y'all.
homebus is offline   Reply With Quote