Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2019, 04:54 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
I'd suggest you stick to a 12VDC system purely on the basis of limiting your learning curve. 24VDC is nice and works (I have one) but keep it simple for now.

You will need FOUR 6VDC 430Ah batteries to build an 860Ah 12VDC bank. From that, 50% of the power is usable (lead-acid) so you have 430 Ah of usable power.

There are always pros/cons to consider. That said, you might consider the more 'typically' sized (GC2) 220Ah batteries (such as these https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...BoC1g8QAvD_BwE). They are much easier to lift/move and are more commonly available (should you need to replace one while on the road).

Also, before buying anything, have you completely designed your system and created an energy budget? If not, you are guessing. That sometimes works out ok, sometimes not. We seemed to have jumped straight to the battery when you were asking about running air conditioning (A/C). In general, running A/C from battery (via an Inverter) is possible but not typically practical given the system that is required. I also question whether 6,000 BTU is enough given what you've said (somewhere) about being in hot Texas. Not meaning to question all your decisions, just playing devil's advocate to be sure you've thought thru them before spending money and then being dissatisfied.

JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post

Also, before buying anything, have you completely designed your system and created an energy budget? If not, you are guessing. That sometimes works out ok, sometimes not. We seemed to have jumped straight to the battery when you were asking about running air conditioning (A/C). In general, running A/C from battery (via an Inverter) is possible but not typically practical given the system that is required. I also question whether 6,000 BTU is enough given what you've said (somewhere) about being in hot Texas. Not meaning to question all your decisions, just playing devil's advocate to be sure you've thought thru them before spending money and then being dissatisfied.
I second that!

I spend quite a bit of time over on Solarpaneltalk.com and see a regular flow of posts asking "I bought all this stuff. Please help me make it work ?".

They generally have no energy budget and mismatched equipment. The results are less than ideal.

JD and Brokedown have both kindly made available some details of how they worked out their energy budgets. Also, the folks over at https://www.solarpaneltalk.com are a great source of solar info. A number of very informative stickies covering solar/batteries/inverters etc.

Good luck.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:02 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

I finally got Junior Member status on Solar Panel Talk, but can’t seem to post anything in the forums?
Nicolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 12:21 AM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

I have not yet purchased anything because I want to make sure I have everything planned out well before I buy anything on the electrical side...I’ve got about 2-3 months of interior build out before I get to electrical, so trying to educate myself as much as possible before that time. Thanks for the great insights and for now I’m looking at just running a 12V system to make it easy with my first build.

Was thinking (if I’ve done this correctly) about 8 of these would seem a decent approach to get a 12V 840 Ah (420 usable) system. https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...le/12/sli31mdc

This AC only draws 210W which should make sleeping comfortable even in Texas summer...if we closed off the sleeping area.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:46 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Sorry...left this link out: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/z...AuydEALw_wcB#/
Old 07-27-2019, 01:27 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolia View Post
I finally got Junior Member status on Solar Panel Talk, but can’t seem to post anything in the forums?
I have no idea. What happens when you try to post?
Old 07-27-2019, 01:33 PM   #27
Bus Geek

JD is a very sharp guy with a beautiful and successfuly built bus. I respect his knowledge and opinions but I do have to disagree.

I would suggest sizing your system based on your needs and proper design.

I have a 24v system and JD has a 24v system. If your needs indicate a 24 or 48 volt system, don't be afraid of it.

"think outside the 12v box"
Old 07-27-2019, 01:42 PM   #28
Almost There

Location: The tops of mountains, the bottoms of valleys, and everywhere in between.
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolia View Post
I have not yet purchased anything because I want to make sure I have everything planned out well before I buy anything on the electrical side...I’ve got about 2-3 months of interior build out before I get to electrical, so trying to educate myself as much as possible before that time. Thanks for the great insights and for now I’m looking at just running a 12V system to make it easy with my first build.

Was thinking (if I’ve done this correctly) about 8 of these would seem a decent approach to get a 12V 840 Ah (420 usable) system. https://www.batteriesplus.com/produc...le/12/sli31mdc

This AC only draws 210W which should make sleeping comfortable even in Texas summer...if we closed off the sleeping area.
What A/C unit do you have have? That is an appealing wattage.

Im not very helpful with your solar questions, but just as an idea. we are running our lights off of 12v, our main outlets and pumps will run off of 110v, and then the blender and a/c a higher draw items will hook directly to the genie. We have 5 110v batteries. The charger/inverter is the last piece we need to obtain yet. I am not well versed but after some research we feel that the marine wire is the best option to go. It comes like house wiring, thick and rectangular with all three wires in it already, but they are multi standed wire instead of the more rigid single strand the house wire. I will have solar soon as it didnt quite make the initial budget. The genie was a gift from family. Our plans are ever evolving around what kind of deals we can find at the moment. We dont have very much time to sit and wait, we have a limited time frame to the build. But our goal isnt to permanently build out yet, just get her adventure worthy.
HenrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:40 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
This site is the best resource for school bus conversion that I have found. There is a ton of great skoolie info here. We have some awesome contributors.

The best source for solar info that I have found online is https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/

I will probably piss some people off by saying this..... I have seen enough questionable solar advice given here that I would suggest that you really do your due diligence before spending any $$.
that goes for other subjects as well, be it gas/diesel, motor vs motor, manufacturer vs manufacturer, or bus bodies and how to safely do a roof raise - I see people doing their best to give good advice that may conflict with the next piece of good advice, some of it conflicting with my own experiences - as PNW Steve, said, do your own due diligence before doing anything costing money, time, or labour
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 03:36 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Currently there is no “post” button...I can’t even subscribe to any posts.