Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2019, 03:58 PM   #1

Solar system setup

Hey so I had a huge question to ask. I’m not so familiar with solar and inverters and all that stuff,,

I currently have 8 Hanwan q.peak dou L-G.3-385 solar panels that are rated at 385w. They were being used on my garage shed to power some wood working tools. Now I was wondering how plausible would it be to live off grid for 3-4days maybe even a week, running the following things.

1) Ventless Washing machine
2) Residential fridge,
3) AC
4) 2 - 4K TVs
5) Workstation pc
6) lighting
And any other random appliances I might run. Ideally I’d like to be able to live off grid running all that stuff at least for a minimum of 3 days. As most people do when they are on the road they work from home and being a web and game developer I need to be connected to my workstation pc for long periods of days and I see me and my family out on the roads for a good bit so I need my Skoolie to be capable of being off road. Budgeting is really not a concern but reliability and off-grid survivability for a minimum of 3 days.

How would I go about achieving something possible like this?

CMRiddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Calculate your total daily consumption, size your inverter and battery bank to support your loads, then size your panels and charge controller to support your battery bank. If you are running FLA's you want to be able to charge at around C/10.

What kind of A/C are you running and how is your bus insulated? RV roof airs will be tough to support. A 9k BTU mini-split would be more practical from an energy perspective.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:49 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I’ve been looking into a lot of low energy items and energy budget is pretty much everything here. A residential fridge is energy heavy, but this guy is only 48 watts...super low to run all day on battery. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07MYVYYGR#Ask

You could easily also carry clothes for 3 days, so no need for the washing machine...even less usage.
Nicolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 02:53 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

And this AC is 460 watts...lowest I’ve found yet. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XSKS4B6...labexisting-20
Nicolia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:29 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Have you worked out your loads, duty cycle and total daily consumption?
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote