Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2017, 01:56 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Goshen Freightliner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Solar with Shore Power

Hey Guys and Gals. I’ve been sick with a cold, that said my down time has me thinking about the one thing in my conversion that confuses me. How to run both Solar and Shore power. Independently I understand for the most part how to set them up. However what is the best way to use the same outlets for both sources. Not at the same time obviously, but when available plug into 30amp and when not use my 2000w solar inverter. 1 thought of mine was to basically wire my 120v outlets into basically extension cords. When off grid they plug into the 2000w inverter. When at Shore Power plug them into a designated Shore power outlet of course wired into a grounded electrical panel with appropriate breakers. It makes sense in my head and would be easy, but does this sound feasible. Is there a better way. I do apologize if this is a redundant question. I’ve watched many YouTube videos and researched and I’m just trying to figure this out. Happy Holidays!

RayAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 8.3L 12v
Rated Cap: 78
The most straight forward way is to look for an "inverter/charger" that's designed for the purpose. It will have three main connections, DC IN/OUT, AC OUT, and AC IN. They are designed to automatically handle the transition from battery based inverter power to shore power or generator power and charge the battery while surplus AC power is available. The fancier ones can do things like automatically start a generator when the battery gets low, use battery/inverter to supplement the generator when loads are too high, provide split phase 120/240 from either 120 or 240 shore connections, etc.

Other wise you will need an AC transfer switch, or some manual way to switch over as you are contemplating.
miscrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:39 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the reply. I think I’ve got it figured out.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:24 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
Be sure to do a power usage calculator to determine your needs. No sense in paying for a 3kW inverter/charger if u only need 1200kW etc. Or buy a 3kW and need 6kW or more. They are not cheap. I went with:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/AIMS-Powe...arger/50754204

Doug
Defjr333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:56 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by miscrms View Post
The most straight forward way is to look for an "inverter/charger" that's designed for the purpose. It will have three main connections, DC IN/OUT, AC OUT, and AC IN. They are designed to automatically handle the transition from battery based inverter power to shore power or generator power and charge the battery while surplus AC power is available.
Yup that's what I have in mine. Works well, I think. If I understand my system as well as I should my magnum only charges at like 14.4v I believe, so the solar tops off my system at 14.8v.

When the time comes, I think I'm just going to have an extension cord which runs from my genny and make a transfer switch in my "ac in" box. But everyone here probably understands electricity better than me.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:14 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Chassis: Step Van
Engine: Prefer Diesel
Rated Cap: 14'-16' Step Van
Same here. Cant see spending $$$ for a transfer switch when I can just plug genny to shore input with a cord. Simple, works, less to go bad/ break, less $$$.
Doug
Defjr333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:19 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defjr333 View Post
Same here. Cant see spending $$$ for a transfer switch when I can just plug genny to shore input with a cord. Simple, works, less to go bad/ break, less $$$.
Doug
It's an easy approach.

Auto-switching is usually used only where you have a remote-start genny and want to switch over from a single panel.

Otherwise, just plug it in.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I’m going to have a couple of designated Shore power outlets for those high draw items. The remaining I will be able to switch between either solar or shore. attached is my general plan. May change a bit, but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
F2F6730A-F457-49B6-9F8B-ABE04B54E82B.jpeg  
Old 11-04-2020, 10:39 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC1000
Engine: Cummins 5.9L 24 valve, 148k miles
Rated Cap: 25,000 lbs
Hi Ray - I’m doing the same thing you were doing - adding shore power to a self-contained solar system. How did you system end up working? I am considering going with an extension cord, but might get a little fancier.

Thanks, Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAllen View Post
I’m going to have a couple of designated Shore power outlets for those high draw items. The remaining I will be able to switch between either solar or shore. attached is my general plan. May change a bit, but you get the idea.
PDXTom is offline   Reply With Quote