Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2019, 01:28 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Teired panels?

Saw a video about using tiered panels and getting great efficiency all in a 4 sqft movable unit. call Backyard something?

Any truth?

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:05 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Is there more to this post? As it stands it doesn't make sense.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:44 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
I didn't wanna say...
If it means what I suspect it means, I'm still in R&D of what I thought was an original inspiration.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
Bus Nut

This.

https://www.backyardrevolution.org/tsl/?aff=&tid=

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:22 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Nawp, I can continue working on my original design!
Tho maybe instead of grafite, I'll use snake oil...
Old 07-25-2019, 04:45 PM   #6
Bus Geek

To quote HazMat "Those who say that it cannot be done should not interrupt the people doing it."

Ah yes. Now it is all clear to me.
Jack
Old 07-25-2019, 05:42 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

I wasn't saying it couldn't be done. Where did I say it that couldn't be done? Point it out, I double-dawg dare ya! Maybe this is like, "Next," and there're variable word meanings I'm not twigging to...
I tracked down the original 2012 MIT release, so that much is legit.
http://news.mit.edu/2012/three-dimen...ar-energy-0327 (Funny that he didn't link to it in his pitch... [emoji848] It's right at the top of the page, first thing you see. I'd think a valid product associated with a world respected school would be highly desirable. Unless the facilities legal team obtained a cease and desist order. A non-copyrighted image is an other thing entirely)
The painfully protracted sales pitch is what I take exception to. Droning on... and on... about how; On a dark and stormy night, being burgled, or possibly even worse! Thankfully, at least his little girl manned up as the miscreant was ascending, the stair treads creaking, and frightened away the intruder.
Scare tactics meant to herd the sheep into the chute.
Not being an elitist, but how does being a carpenter qualify one to be an expert in any thing other than working with wood?
I laughed at his first book's title, guaranteeing power after an EMP. I call BS! A pulse would fry the MPPT along with with the electricity providers, iFons, flat panel TVs, teledildonic devices, bus computers, you name it.
And this all can be yours for the low, low price of $40!
Operators are standing by, but wait! There's more: call in the next 20 minutes for your free Ginzu Steak knives!

If it sounds too good to be true, there's usually an excellent reason why. I call, Scam.
Addendum: Went back to the shill's shite, I mean, site.
My bad, it isnt $39. Oh no, order today, Thursday the 25th, for this "ONE-TIME OFFER" of $27.
You wanna bet: check tomorrow, and it will be the same, high-pressure tactic, only the date will change on this, "ONE-TIME OFFER."
Yup, good call, dude. I'm the bad guy here...
(BTW, there're 2 Ts in my handle, Truant)
Old 07-25-2019, 06:12 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I have no idea what any of you are talking about.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:12 PM   #9
Bus Geek

We don't either and HazMattt, there is no A in my handle--its trunt 'cause I can't spell!
Too much fun.
Jack
Old 07-25-2019, 07:49 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Ttthanx for making up for ttthattt deficienttt T. Tttruly appreciattte ttthattt efforttt on your parttt...
Yeah, just one of the many useful, trivial tidbits I picked up while reading thru Tango's opus. Thought I'd gift you with the benefit of doubttt.
Old 07-25-2019, 08:03 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
This is 100% legitimate - a legitimate way of selling a CD for $39, that is.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:52 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
I am by no means going to wade through all that hogwash just to arrive at the buy now link. I've done a little bit of research into solar panels as a matter of due diligence to determine if I need to consider them as part of my build plan... and based on my research, this approach is basically trying to fix a non-issue while ignoring the actual issue which is that photovoltaic efficiency is best in direct light while dropping significantly as the angle increases. Therefore, the issue as I see it is that this approach only maximizes morning and evening while completely missing out on midday light collection. Furthermore, only the top unit will benefit most of the day so the staggered layout is pretty much a waste 70-75% of the day unless you can engineer some way for the whole unit to unfold, pivot and tilt automatically in order to track the sunlight and those kinds of units already exist although they're still pricey.

For our purposes here, I think the innate curve of the bus roof already offers a pretty suitable platform for maximizing solar collection and is made most efficient by two things: what direction you park and how much of the square footage of the roof you can utilize. I suppose if you want to Rube-Goldberg-up the whole thing you could engineer elaborate scissoring arms with lots of smaller solar panels but I don't see how it's going to be more efficient than a few larger well-placed static roof units.

On a side note, there was some other research I read that purported much of the photovoltaic inefficiency in the morning sunlight is due to temperature. I didn't delve into this much deeper than reading the article but the supposition is that the panels are less efficient when they're 'cold' so until the sunlight is direct enough to warm them up they're basically useless. Therefore there was some research planned to determine how to 'prewarm' the panels in the early morning so that they'll achieve efficiency faster and earlier to maximize their potential across all daylight hours. I am not sure how much more utility this method could provide so long as the warming requirement doesn't cancel out the increased energy output.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote