Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2019, 03:36 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: International - AmTran
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DTA 360
Rated Cap: 25,500 lbs
Thermoking SG-3000 genset/APU

I was browsing Thermokings website and came across a large genset that had its own fuel tank and weighed anywhere from 1480 to 1804 Lbs. The one I was interested in (SGSM-3000) is side saddle mounted like a big storage box.

https://www.thermoking.com/na/en/pro...t_sg_3000.html

If you scroll down a bit and click the brochure, it will show all the details of the 3 different models. 15 Kw, 460/230 Vac 3 phase 60Hz 18.75 kVA

That will absolutely cover the electrical needs of a skoolie or three.
Perhaps be a power distribution for bug out camp, Power your home in case of power failure.

I dont think it will fit on mine BUT this will.

https://www.thermoking.com/na/en/pro...diesel_apu.htm

Have the evaporator installed in drivers area, provide power to charge bus batteries and other things. Pre-heating available in the winter time. I currently do not need alot of power but keeping the bus somewhat comfy without running main engine would be great. Now the big question, How much is it? They seem to have left that bit of info off the page.

Old 07-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
these are pricey... as a small genset they are nice.. but they arent usually super quiet.. although the newer ones are getting better..

sometimes you can find these as used take-offs from wrecked trucks or companies that upgrade to newer units..

the A/C is 13,000 BTU so its similar to a minisplit.. it would do a nice job helping to keep the front of your bus cool while parked with the window shades down and good insulation.. it wont do a ton for driving A/C..

TK makes top notch kit in general..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:36 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
You can buy apu's now that are inverter generators and are super quiet. There are several different brands that make them. Not all APU's have generators that create AC power. Some are just a/c compressors with a DC alternator. Some also rely upon the vehicles cooling and ac system to operate, so do your homework before purchase. Look up "go green apu" if you want an example of an alternative manufacturer.

As far as buying one from a wrecked truck, I did just that.

I bought a pair of apu's from a salvage auction for 100 bucks. They were in rough shape so I had to engineer everything else involved. Fuel system, DC power system, AC power system, Engine protection systems, Cooling system, Fans, etc. They were basically nothing more then a yanmar diesel engine with a sincro generator head, and even the generator head shorted out so I upgraded that too.

Is mine whisper quiet? No, it's about the same as a standard gas generator. I have more sound deadening to add if wanted, but inside, it can't be heard over the noise of the ac fan, so I'm not worried about it.

It runs off the fuel tank of the bus, so no gas cans to deal with. We ran it close to 50 hours over the weekend a month ago and consumed around 25 gallons of fuel.

Has a 40 amp 12 volt alternator. So the bus batteries are always charged. You don't have to worry about using interior lights or cell chargers or anything.

Has a 6kva 120/240 volt generator, which powers my rooftop AC, sound system, and lights just fine.

I'm happy with what I have, but if I were to do it again, I'd likely just buy an onan diesel gen set and be done with it.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
I got a used Apu for my bus,Click image for larger version

Name:	ApuResponse_Fox_Ringer.0.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	35932
Not working as hard as advertised...
(Dang Third-World imports)
Old 07-25-2019, 12:25 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: International - AmTran
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DTA 360
Rated Cap: 25,500 lbs
I was thinking about connecting the APU A/C compressor to the rear condenser and evaporator. Would that work?
Old 07-25-2019, 12:34 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Depends on the sizes of everything. If the compressor on the apu is the same size that the A/C system originally came with then it will. Compressors are nothing more then pumps, so find out the specs for both and compare.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote