Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2018, 05:03 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: MBE 904
Turn signals not working

All of a sudden my turn signals stopped working (not while driving, between starts). It could have been anything tbh. I've been messing around with the dash wires quite a bit and can't pinpoint it to a specific day so I don't know where to start.

I've checked all the fuses and relays, but I don't think any of them are for the turn signals anyway. I can't find anything that is labeled turn signal. I haven't tested the switch on the steering wheel yet because there's not place to contact leads. I tried to physically trace out the turn signals to see where they go but it just goes into a larger wire harness and get lost within the rats nest.

I checked under the hood on the fire panel for a relay or fuse and nothing, they just run through the firewall. The small panel above the driver seat has relays but it seems those are all for the a/c unit. I have wiring schematics from other threads but it's just a general schematic of the system.

Any advice or input on where I should be looking?

Here's what I'm looking at.
qRZAd8bwQ3uwRmDRpDbtQA by asdf asdf, on Flickr

EBuKtdrXQkaMOf7Uzuymog by asdf asdf, on Flickr

wnebjvLHTNiUwyMuDwVcOg by asdf asdf, on Flickr

mvn10ea0SXCidYf+BEkO+g by asdf asdf, on Flickr

Gatorbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Please fill out your profile so we know year,make,model type stuff to better help us help you.
For me all the basic turn signal head light stuff was provided buy the chassis manufacturer (ford) and has its own fuse box.
And then the body manufacter that installed (Thomas) has there own fuse boxes in the body so without knowing your exact make/type I would say keep looking for a manufacturer box that handles headlights,brake lights, starter solenoids,etc.
My switch has to be wiggled a little when I want to turn left I push left and pick it back up just a little for it to come on and then it's fine next I would pull and check each light itself.
For me the light frame itself is the 12v ground and when I pulled mine the frame was rusted through so I had some light replacement and body PM work to do.
Mine is an 86 so yours might be different but many others here can help once we know what you have.
Good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
Bus Geek

I think your number 2 circuit CC would be your turn signal/hazard lights.
Try your hazard lights and see if that little relay clicks.
If it does then you have a turn signal grounding problem.
Just a thought from deciphering your pics.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:45 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Do they come on but don’t flash? My signals were in a separate load center in the Dash close to the entry door. While most of the rest of the buses electronics were under the window next to the driver.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:03 PM   #5
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.dgeorge07 View Post
Do they come on but don’t flash? My signals were in a separate load center in the Dash close to the entry door. While most of the rest of the buses electronics were under the window next to the driver.
Yes. I forgot all about this panel. I built a wall in front of it and forgot all about it. Damn, now I'll have to pull that wall off and see what I can find. UGH! Forgot all about that one. I'll keep you guys posted. thanks.

And jolly sorry i didn't give you guys the make model, another pic of all the information was supposed to be posted but i must have forgotten to hit paste.

LtPWsc7GTiGZntb73DRnnQ by asdf asdf, on Flickr
Old 02-21-2018, 06:19 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Thomas Dealers can get a new sticker for your new wall.

They have to affix it and I don't know how much they would charge, but there is a standard dealer form for requesting replacement data plates.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:38 PM   #7
Almost There

So I went back and looked at old pictures and sure enough there's another fuse panel. I can't believe I would build something permanent in front of it. Do it right or do it twice seems to be the theme of the last part of this build.

IMG_6778 by asdf asdf, on Flickr

IMG_6779 by asdf asdf, on Flickr

Untitled by asdf asdf, on Flickr

So I checked all the fuses, only one was bad (reverse lights and alarm apparently). There was a round flasher relay at the bottom left of the panel. I hit the turn signal and no sound, so I went a grabbed a new one and still no sound or lights. I haven't checked any of the square relays or even looked to see what they would go to since it got dark so fast. I'll look more into it tomorrow but I'm starting to get a little hope at least.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #8
Bus Geek

I have full wiring diagrams for the 80's from Thomas but that won't help you much.
You are in raleigh and there is a huge bus barn off of 40/85 near MEBANE that might help with advice
Old 02-22-2018, 12:36 PM   #9
Almost There

So let me see if I have this right. The strobe relay is the only relay it should have. The strobe basically passes the circuit in a pulse which makes the blinker do its thing. There shouldn't be multiple relays, correct?

For all the lights to stop working it has to be one of a few things?:
something unplugged
bad fuse
bad relay
bad switch

Didn't see anything unplugged, checked all the fuses, replaced the relay, now I'm taking apart the switch. I put a light on all the contacts in the harness. I only got light on the lower middle one near my thumb.

I put the switch on and "activated" it; I could reach all the contacts within the switch and no light on any other one. The switch should pass the power through and back out so if there's no light the switch doesn't work right? Can I just ohm out the contacts with the switch activated and see if it ohms out to test the switch? Anyone know a pinout schematic for these switches so I know what I'm looking for? I'd hate to just start throwing parts at a problem, especially at $80.

I just tried the high beams and that works. Could the switch fail for the turn signals, but work for the brights?
Old 02-22-2018, 12:55 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Start working from the lights themselves and work your way backwards from there. If you can find a point at which, when you give 12 V the lights will come on, follow that path to the next component and keep doing that until you figure out where the chain is broken.

Also, don’t necessarily trust labels. I went through a similar process to this and the labels were not correct. They very well may be correct but don’t take it as gospel. I could’ve saved a lot of time if I had not closed off the possibility that things were wrong in areas that I thought were not involved.

Old 02-22-2018, 01:42 PM   #11
Almost There

MOTHER F'ING FUSE! One I checked already. I was about to go back and make sure the grounds were good and I said hell let me double check the fuses. Yup, one I already checked was bad. oh man what a pain. Thanks a lot for everyone's support. Found a bad reverse light fuse too. Apparently I have a back up beeper lol
Old 02-22-2018, 02:51 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Frustrating, but be glad it was a simple fix.

Old 07-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #13

Wiring Diagram for 89 Chevy Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
I have full wiring diagrams for the 80's from Thomas but that won't help you much.
You are in raleigh and there is a huge bus barn off of 40/85 near MEBANE that might help with advice
Hello and thank you in advance for offering your manuals. I have none for my skoolie and it would be so much help if I did.
pokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:47 AM   #14

Help same issue

Gator bait- I am having the same issue on what looks to be the same or close to bus. Can you point out the fuse you changed? I’ve checked mine. Getting a light when testing. Please help. Thanks in advance
Loca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 06:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorbait View Post
MOTHER F'ING FUSE! One I checked already. I was about to go back and make sure the grounds were good and I said hell let me double check the fuses. Yup, one I already checked was bad. oh man what a pain. Thanks a lot for everyone's support. Found a bad reverse light fuse too. Apparently I have a back up beeper lol
Which fuse was it? I'm running into the same problem on my 2003 Thomas Freightliner and have no signal lights or hazards. Thanks in advance
Pagan Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote