Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2017, 09:20 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird?
Chassis: 26ft Bluebird TC2000
Engine: Cumming 5.9 12v, AT545
Where in the wall is the DC wiring??

Hello skoolie fans!

I'm wanting to add a couple of exterior flush mounted power outlets to my bus to facilitate camping needs, and will need to cut holes through the interior and exterior wall within about 14" of the floor to put them in. Can't put them below floor level in the side skirt as they're not weatherproof on the back! My concern is the DC wiring: where in the wall is it typically? I'd like to avoid cutting it!

Thanks!

dalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:45 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalez View Post
Hello skoolie fans!

I'm wanting to add a couple of exterior flush mounted power outlets to my bus to facilitate camping needs, and will need to cut holes through the interior and exterior wall within about 14" of the floor to put them in. Can't put them below floor level in the side skirt as they're not weatherproof on the back! My concern is the DC wiring: where in the wall is it typically? I'd like to avoid cutting it!

Thanks!
Usually the cable run is above window level.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
You can buy weatherproof boxes that will work on the skirt. Then just add a weatherproof cover to the receptacle.
What kind of wire are you going to use and where will it feed from? You will. need a GFI type receptacle.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird?
Chassis: 26ft Bluebird TC2000
Engine: Cumming 5.9 12v, AT545
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
You can buy weatherproof boxes that will work on the skirt. Then just add a weatherproof cover to the receptacle.
What kind of wire are you going to use and where will it feed from? You will. need a GFI type receptacle.
I didnt find fully weatherproof boxes, at least not at a price I wanted to pay. The other ones are already on the way for under $20 each, recessed with 'in use' covers. I didnt really want to mount on the skirt on the more rear one bc I plan to hang water tanks back there eventually.

A friend has a bunch of scrap bits of 10/3 armored cable, my breaker box is on the driver's side about midship up on a wall. Going to pull the cable straight along the wall under my bench to that breaker box for the front outlet, the rear one is going to snake up the wall and run along above the windows to an outlet I already have back there above the rear door.
dalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:17 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
PVC boxes are weatherproof, not very expensive. connectors for armoured cable aren't weatherproof so good idea running inside then, but be sure to use antishorts on each end of each cable. You may want a 4" box at the receptacle using 10/3 and make joints in it with say, #14 connecting directly to the outlet.
Even though you are using 10/3 make sure the breaker is only 15amp.