Old 04-26-2018, 05:02 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Girardin
Chassis: E-350
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Thanks. My colleague, who lives on his toy hauler full time with his family, sold me some of his extra batteries before he moved. He bought like $10k worth of them from China, had to convince customs that he wasn’t an electric car company, and runs 3 air conditioners, a washer/drier, a dishwasher, a big screen tv, and his entire house off of his solar charged battery bank with NO generator at all. But he also has a ridiculous number of panels on top.

Here’s his 28kwh pack: https://youtu.be/13lEgsScOoY

Anyway, since I know very little about electrics, and I have the same batteries as him, I just got the same charge controller and balancer that he has (although I don’t have the balancers yet as the batteries are still in their box).

And since I’ve got smarter people listening to me, how feasible would it be to also charge the bank with my 12v 150 amp alternator?
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:24 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
I have limited bandwidth so must avoid YouTube but I'll get to see it eventually.

No doubt it is very possible. I know a couple of folks doing it (A/C from solar/battery) in RV's and boats so you are not the first.

Basically, no. You cannot "directly" charge any house battery from an alternator. Well, you can, but it's not good for the battery. Most certainly not good for lithium. Again, lithium requires different voltages (for the various 'modes'). That said, you can incorporate a "charger" that takes the alternator/chassis battery power and uses it to properly charge your lithium. I've not looked for one specific to lithium so can't refer you - and they might not even exist yet, but they will, eventually.

One thing I've "glanced" at doing (just a brief idea, no real research yet) is running my house A/C (two, roof mounted, RV type, 120 VAC units) from alternator power. In my case, I have a 24 volt, 270 amp alternator. That would certainly supply the power necessary to run them, I just have to work out the details - obviously there are some components between the alternator and A/C units - maybe even my house lithium battery to support the A/C units when engine slows to idle. Not sure - lots to figure out. As we've hit on a number of times in this thread... this doesn't work for everyone in all cases but it might just be a solution for me that addresses a number of problems and goals.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:28 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Girardin
Chassis: E-350
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
You know that might be the best way for me when I’m driving (alternator powering the AC) since I don’t have any AC at the moment.

My Build Blog: https://theargobus.blogspot.com/
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 05:30 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArgobus View Post
how feasible would it be to also charge the bank with my 12v 150 amp alternator?
As long as you put a profile adjustable DCDC charger in between, and disconnect it when you get to target voltage, no problem. Sterling BB series is my choice.

You could also maybe convert the alt to use a Balmar MC-614 regulator, but above is cheaper and gives more flexibility.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:11 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
As long as you put a profile adjustable DCDC charger in between, and disconnect it when you get to target voltage, no problem. Sterling BB series is my choice.

You could also maybe convert the alt to use a Balmar MC-614 regulator, but above is cheaper and gives more flexibility.
.... and make sure your alternator is up to the task.

This question is asked a lot, often by people who seem to think it a cheap and easy way to charge house batteries while running.

It isn't cheap or easy, although it is possible, the disadvantage being that when it works, it only works when the engine is running. So it depends a lot on the anticipated useage pattern whether it is worth it or not.

It's certainly a lot simpler to use a generator, and that item will have plenty of other uses too.

ps ... this isn't directed at you, John, simply attached as an addendum to your post.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:42 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Well the sources I mention let you size the amps drawn from the alt.

Rather than letting the LFP bank just demand what it wants, easy way to fry an alt.

Most stock automotive alts if listed as 150A can only produce half that continuously, especially as temps rise.

But LFP's crazy high CAR means even just a few hours' driving say three times a week can supply all your electric needs, no solar no genny required.

Assuming you're not trying to run aircon off DC
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote