Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2019, 03:56 PM   #1

Wiring Trailer Lights

Hello everyone, I am having issues with wiring a harness for a trailer to the rear of my bus. I have a Ford E-450 Thomas bus and am running a converter to convert from the turn/stop combo tail lights to separate turn and stop tail lights. I've wired it all up and only have turn signals when the brakes are applied. Brake lights and tail lights work as they should. Has anyone run into this issue and what have they done to get things to work? I'm truly stumped and have spent about 6 hours so far trying to get this figured out. Any info is helpful and thank you.

grantc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:47 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
If you could provide a schematic of your lights and connections we could help more effectively.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:23 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I feel your frustration. The wiring that came with the Isuzu frame I have under my skoolie had amber directionals and red stop and 4 way flashers. I used a converter so I could use the single (dual filament) stop/directional/tail lamps on the bus body which works fine. Unfortunately I then had to figure a way to wire a toad requiring the amber/red system from the bus. Going from the original Isuzu wiring to the toad should have worked but instead it produced results like yours on the bus!?!

I eventually got the three systems to play nice with each other by using a half a dozen 5 terminal 12v relays in the toad. As the previous reply suggested, how about showing us a wiring diagram and explaining exactly what you want to accomplish----it can't be rocket science if I managed to figure it out but I'll be happy to share my .02 cents worth if you wish.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:29 AM   #4

Figured it out.

I finally figured it out. The bus needed a powered converter that supported up to 5 amps. Everything works now.
grantc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 12:51 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Awesome sauce