Old 09-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: American Cargo 14'L x 7'8"W x 7'H Box
Chassis: Ford E350 Cutaway
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 11500 lbs
Alternatives for shower pan?

I want to install a toilet/shower combo in my 14' box van. There will be a 24" x 32" space in front of the toilet that serves as shower with a curtain draped over the toilet when the shower is in use. Entry is through a door that acts as one of the 24" walls of the shower.

The shower pan I ordered was very flimsy and would not hold up to walking on it for accessing the toilet; I returned it.

Here is what I came up with as an alternative so far:
Bath.jpg
I plan to use a linear drain like this one under the door. Any water running down the door or trying to leave the room has no choice but going into the drain.

Has anyone used a linear drain? Pros/cons? Other ideas?
alpine44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:04 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Coachwork: integral
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
I thought about using a linear drain when I was making my shower, but I ended up making my own drain cover out of 6061 aluminum instead. My shower pan is custom-made from stainless steel by a local sheet metal shop, with a 1" OD spigot for the drain that connects to the 1" hose connection to the grey tank. I'm also going to have a bi-fold door, probably frameless using 3/8" glass with fittings from C.R.Lawrence, but mine will hinge inwards to prevent drips on the floor outside; you may want to think about having yours open inwards for this reason.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceni John View Post
I thought about using a linear drain when I was making my shower, but I ended up making my own drain cover out of 6061 aluminum instead. My shower pan is custom-made from stainless steel by a local sheet metal shop, with a 1" OD spigot for the drain that connects to the 1" hose connection to the grey tank. I'm also going to have a bi-fold door, probably frameless using 3/8" glass with fittings from C.R.Lawrence, but mine will hinge inwards to prevent drips on the floor outside; you may want to think about having yours open inwards for this reason.

John
Thanks for the suggestion. The bi-fold door needs to be hinged on the other side in my drawing and fold to the inside.

Do you have any photos of your shower pan? Does it also serve as the floor for the toilet area or is the shower separate?
Old 09-08-2019, 04:02 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I expect your plan will work just fine. I don't know if you are using black and grey tanks but since I was I simply adapted a single piece fiberglass sink, toilet and shower combination from a defunct 5 th wheel. I use a clear plastic shower curtain which I shake off, wad up and stuff out of sight behind the toilet. Lots of ways to skin a cat.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:25 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
I expect your plan will work just fine. I don't know if you are using black and grey tanks but since I was I simply adapted a single piece fiberglass sink, toilet and shower combination from a defunct 5 th wheel. I use a clear plastic shower curtain which I shake off, wad up and stuff out of sight behind the toilet. Lots of ways to skin a cat.
Jack
I am still looking for a complete shower/toilet unit from a retired RV or 5th wheel near Asheville, NC or Elkton, MD.

One advantage of the linear drain at the door sill is that it would sit right on top of a 21 gal grey tank, mounted between the frame rails. Toilet will drain into the 24 gal black tank under-mounted outside of the frame rail. A center-drain shower would require routing the drain from the outside to the inside of the frame rails.

I plan to use an existing marine head/toilet that will pump grey water from the shower (plus a few drops of bleach) for flushing. If the grey water flush proves to be a bad idea I can always change over to an RV toilet that flushes with fresh water.

The kitchen on the opposite side of the vehicle will have a separate 23 gal grey tank, also outside of the frame rails behind a set of under-mount toolboxes.

Fresh water capacity is 63 gal in insulated and heated underfloor tanks between the frame rails.
Old 09-08-2019, 04:32 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I'm planning on putting in a step tub like this one: https://www.campingworld.com/sit-in-...iABEgILnfD_BwE with a hole in the floor on the side so that the bottom of the tub part is below the floor (giving me more headroom in the shower). I'm mainly considering this because I already have the hole, but I think it could work for anybody not doing a roof raise.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:54 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I'm planning on putting in a step tub like this one: https://www.campingworld.com/sit-in-...iABEgILnfD_BwE with a hole in the floor on the side so that the bottom of the tub part is below the floor (giving me more headroom in the shower). I'm mainly considering this because I already have the hole, but I think it could work for anybody not doing a roof raise.
...and then cover it with a plywood lid if you need the floor space while the shower is idle?

Since the tub is made from thermo-formed ABS you may have to back it with a couple layers of fiberglass or rest the bottom of the tub on a sunken, solid surface.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine44 View Post
...and then cover it with a plywood lid if you need the floor space while the shower is idle?

Since the tub is made from thermo-formed ABS you may have to back it with a couple layers of fiberglass or rest the bottom of the tub on a sunken, solid surface.
Yes, exactly - I'm planning on having the cat litter box on top of the shower lid. If I were doing a shorty, I might put the composting toilet on top of the tub on a sort of rolling panel.

I'll be adding framing underneath the tub - I would not want to fall through that thing.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:42 PM   #9
Bus Nut

My first thought was to tile the inclined shower floor. After watching a video of someone making a mortar bed for a tiled shower I wonder whether the shower floor could be made simply from epoxy mortar on top of plywood. The epoxy mortar could be carried a few inches up the walls to form a seamless 'pan'.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:47 PM   #10

Chassis: Corbeil 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
My shower floor i'm doing custom. I have a subfloor down (insulation and 2x2's with no plywood on top) in the shower area. i'm thinking about putting down some Blueskin waterproof membrane on top of that to water proof it then using cement board (won't mold) then putting orange kerdi waterproofing membrane on top of that then tiling it out.
RVWorldTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote