Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-01-2016, 01:25 PM   #1
Bus Crazy
 
2kool4skool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Spring Valley AZ
Posts: 1,206
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
An entertaining look at composting toilets.

__________________
Don, Mary and Spooky the cat.
2kool4skool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:26 AM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Rameses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 855
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I'm planning to build my own, so that's some good first hand info to have. Lots of useful stuff to incorporate into my design.

Thanks for posting that!
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #3
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,228
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Definitely build one.

Man, this video is the most realistic, informative one of its kind. Seems like a lot of downsides to me, idk if I could live with one. A black tank isn't nearly as bad as some of this stuff sounds but that's just my opinion.
Thanks for sharing!
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:15 AM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Rameses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 855
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Definitely build one.

Man, this video is the most realistic, informative one of its kind. Seems like a lot of downsides to me, idk if I could live with one. A black tank isn't nearly as bad as some of this stuff sounds but that's just my opinion.
Thanks for sharing!
I don't know, man.

I've heard some pretty bad horror stories about black tanks if things go wrong.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:24 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 18,228
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
At least its not INSIDE.
My hat is off to you green folks who don't mind wiping out diarrhea and menstrual materials. Definitely never thought about a lot of the points they bring up. All the more reason I can't see why anyone would pay a grand for a plastic throne with a litter tray.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:18 PM   #6
Bus Nut
 
AlleyCat67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Music City USA
Posts: 737
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I can't see why anyone would pay a grand for a plastic throne with a litter tray.
I'm not. I'm using a 5 gallon bucket with a plastic bag in it, with the cover material, inside a custom built cabinet. Maintenance will consist of removing the bucket, tying up the bag and disposing of it. And I already have 5 of those buckets with lids, so all it will cost me is a few bucks in lumber for the enclosure and a toilet seat, and of course the ongoing expense of bags and cover material. I figure only about 40-50 bucks at most to build it.
__________________
My bus - Jasmine - External Build Website - YouTube Channel - TN/KY Meetup Group
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 04:25 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
Rameses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 855
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Yep, I'm going the bucket and bag route too. As far as cover material, I have a cabinet shop nearby where I can get large quantities of free sawdust.

And mine won't be inside. I'm building the enclosure in front of the side emergency exit door, so it'll be emptied from outside.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 05:15 PM   #8
Bus Nut
 
AlleyCat67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Music City USA
Posts: 737
Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
Yep, I'm going the bucket and bag route too. As far as cover material, I have a cabinet shop nearby where I can get large quantities of free sawdust.

And mine won't be inside. I'm building the enclosure in front of the side emergency exit door, so it'll be emptied from outside.
I'm not sure how well sawdust will work as cover material, seems like it would take an awful lot of it to keep the moisture and odor under control.

Good plan, putting it right by the emergency door. I presume you will lift the bucket and bag out of your enclosure, set it down by the door, then go outside to go through the process, or that the entire enclosure will move to a position in front of the door, perhaps on a slide-out platform like a drawer... I'm not so sure I'd want to have it permanently mounted in a way that would block that emergency door, even partially.
__________________
My bus - Jasmine - External Build Website - YouTube Channel - TN/KY Meetup Group
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:51 PM   #9
Bus Nut
 
Carytowncat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Richmond Virginia
Posts: 932
Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
I am currently using Home Depot 5 gal bucket with trash bag, and kitty litter.
I used saw dust and it worked fine, i just ran out and kitty litter was close.

Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:08 PM   #10
Bus Nut
 
Rameses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Posts: 855
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
I'm not sure how well sawdust will work as cover material, seems like it would take an awful lot of it to keep the moisture and odor under control.

Good plan, putting it right by the emergency door. I presume you will lift the bucket and bag out of your enclosure, set it down by the door, then go outside to go through the process, or that the entire enclosure will move to a position in front of the door, perhaps on a slide-out platform like a drawer... I'm not so sure I'd want to have it permanently mounted in a way that would block that emergency door, even partially.
No, I'm planning to build the enclosure permanently in front of the door. When you open the door from the outside, the bucket slides straight it through the door.

My bus has 8 emergency exits, designed to evacuate 91 people. If that exit were to ever be needed, the door can still be opened from the inside, you would just have to climb over the toilet and then jump out the top half of the door. Would actually be easier than using an exit window. And two of us should have no trouble finding a way out with 7.5 emergency exits.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.