Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International 3900FC
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Bathroom Dimensions

I am working on the layout for our bus and am looking at how much space to allow for the toilet room and the shower. We are going to have them split with the shower on the passenger side and the toilet on the driver side, but am not sure of the size to go with esp. for the water closet. (want to make sure there's enough space to take care of business and complete the paper work....without wasting space)

So as a help to those of us who are in the planning/building stages what bathroom set ups do the rest have? (combo, split, same side or opposite) And then the dimensions of the shower (including wall to run the plumbing in) and the interior dimensions of the WC?

Westward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78
Re: Bathroom Dimensions

Im curious as to what and how people are doing this also. I have the vision of a stand up shower with a toilet in it to compact space? Like everyone else I would love tons of room to shower and..well you know.... but we have such a limited space that you have to double up and make things as dual purpose as possible
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:15 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

My toilet and sink are together, and across from them is the shower. The shower pan is 24in x 27in, a bit small but it works fine
The toilet faces the sink, its 33in wide by 41 long. Its a bit narrower at the sink. Ill post pics as soon as I can figure out my new I phone pics
gbstewart
Old 09-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins

Allow a good bit more room than you calculate you need. I find that people require extra elbow room to change clothes and such.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

My planned bathroom is built more like a locker room shower. There is a lip at the entrance of the room to prevent water from escaping, and the whole room is effectively the shower area. The shower head is a bendy arm on the wall attached directly to the water heater (the bathroom shares a wall with the kitchen, letting them both use the heater directly with minimal plumbing)
AWebb3701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Rated Cap: 36

I have a toilet room but not a shower. My toilet is a homemade composting one. I wanted to use the least amount of space as possible, so after measuring my toilet and my bod, I made the room 23" wide x 31" long. It's just barely big enough, a little more elbow room would be nice, so I'd recommend having the toilet centered in a space about 30" wide. I also didn't take into consideration that the guys in my family would be standing up to use the toilet, and the room isn't long enough to stand up with the door closed.
Kathy WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:32 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWebb3701
My planned bathroom is built more like a locker room shower. There is a lip at the entrance of the room to prevent water from escaping, and the whole room is effectively the shower area. The shower head is a bendy arm on the wall attached directly to the water heater (the bathroom shares a wall with the kitchen, letting them both use the heater directly with minimal plumbing)
Strait from the water heater? No mixing with cold water?

Nat

I did say minimal
AWebb3701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:34 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

We have an all in one bathroom. 3' x 10'. Shower is a 3x3 pan on one end of the room. Toilet is in the middle and full size vanity/sink on the opposite wall. All on the drivers side about mid ship. Bathroom door (swings out into the hallway) is basically in the middle of the 10' wall with plenty of room to close the door behind you. Shower is a little cramped in the head room department mainly because I'm 6 foot and the shower is up against an exterior curved wall. I wanted to make sure the bathroom was big enough for either the wife or I to take care of business without to much issue. With two of us living full time in the rig, we need things to work properly and to not be a burden. Living in a small space causes all sorts of sacrifices and one area I did not want to sacrifice to much was the bathroom. (gotta keep the misses happy)
Shower valve is on the same wall as the kitchen sink and water heater so that made for some really short pex plumbing lines. We also used mainly all home depot style fixtures and such. Basically in hopes that when something breaks I can fix it easily with household items and not expensive sub par rv style fixtures. Sounds good in theory at least.

Another item to think about is dumping the gray and black tanks. I kept all of our tanks on the drivers side in hopes that it would make using dump stations or hook ups at an rv park easier. So far it has worked out well but I do notice quite a few dump stations that would allow you to enter backwards and dump from the passenger side.

All just food for thought. No right or wrong way to go about it. Have fun though!
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster

How do you keep from scalding your self?

Nat
Some water heaters have a set point for the outgoing water temperature. After some experimenting, I set mine to 107*F which allowed me to just turn on the hot water and not fiddle with blending hot & cold. Sometimes I would have liked hotter water for dishwashing, but it was a good compromise.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:17 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins

You can also buy a valve that automatically mixes hot and cold to a set temperature. I have a Thermixer Tempering Valve by Symmons Industries. Just turn the knob to change the setting from 85 F to 160 F.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 09:59 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International 3900FC
Engine: DT466

Some good ideas on the layout....we had one floor plan that I thought would be nice....then we layed it out with chalk and realized that it may not work out so well. The toilt was going to be across the hall from the shower, but with a 30" wide shower and a 36" wide toilet closet, that would leave a narrow 24" hallway to the bed room. With that said we are trying some other layouts. Thinking of going with a 30x30 shower, and a toilet room of 30" wide by 36" long, that with some other rearranging, might make for a better floor plan.
Westward is offline   Reply With Quote