Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3
Black water plumbing?

Can I drop out the black tank through a gate valve, into a 90 down, 10" of pipe then either a 90 out the side or hook onto the vertical drop? Due to space I am having to put the black tank inside but do not want to hook up above floor level to dump and also want to plumb the grey into the same dump point, of which I cant do if the black has to go straight out of the tank.

Paperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:53 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Some basic pics/sketches of your idea would help?
From what you explained it won't work cause once the down/drop pipe collects enough solids it won't allow any water to get into the tank.
Don't forget that your tank needs to be vented for air out as you flush and air in as you drain.
You can find and or order flatter, wider tanks to fit just about anything.
I will have to find it again but at one point I had contact with a plastic tank company that would send me a sketch sheet to draw exactly what I wanted/needed and the cost was almost the same as buying a generic new tank. If your interested
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:47 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Poo needs to drop straight into the black tank or it "hangs" where it causes problems.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:15 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Sorry boys I was not clear, I want to set the stool directly on top of the tank, its the drain or dump I want to have an elbow in. Due to bed arraignments and bus length about the only place I can set the toilet makes me put the BW tank inside above the floor. With the axle, A/C, fuel, exhaust and battery box I'm just out of room underneath. With a left hand BW tank I could go straight out the side of the bus but that's a hole and a door in the living quarters I rather not have, it also placed the outlet about waist high. I would prefer to go from the BW tank drain valve to a 90 elbow down, then either put the dump hose directly on that vertical nipple or place another 90 on it to point it out the side as they normally are. Either of these arraignments would allow me to also tie in the GW tank to flush the dump hose of any remaining Klingons.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #5
Bus Geek

With that 90, it would help if you ran your gray water into the black tank via a cut off valve. That way you can dump the black, then "flush" the black tank and lines by running the gray through it. A lot of folks set their systems up that way.
Old 01-17-2017, 12:01 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Jolly Roger, I would like to have that number of your contact for the tank.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:23 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
moving the poo horizontally can be tough. they make 90 degree sweeps which might help instead of just an elbow.

if i could make a change about my own black plumbing, i would have a vertical dump. the horizontal dump works, but its lazy after the initial rush. i have to use a cleanout adapter to help the tank drain completely.
if it were a vertical dump, i wouldnt be able to see that there still solids in there.

you could consider an transfer tank and pump. just attach a macerator pump to the outlet of the black tank and let it transfer the macerated waste to a more accessible dump tank.

or just have 2 separate dump valves. however keeps the fewest turns for the poo.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Jolly Roger, I would like to have that number of your contact for the tank.
Just found my old notes.
Plastic-mart.com 866-310-2556
Plastic tanks.com custom tank design 800-826-5727
Or greyco products 519-923-0222. Look at marine holding tanks I know greyco products through my work and you can get anything you can afford.

I think plastic mart is the ones I actually talked to and seamed to be the best price for 3 custom tanks at the time but in the middle of sketching up what I wanted I ran into an old friend that gave me free reign of an old Minnie Winnie (winnebegao) before his bulldozer pushed it deep into the woods.
I got the tanks, the control panel and really wanted the propane genny but every rubber tube on it was gone and every hole there was full of dirt dobber nest so lack of money and time kinda scared me on that and I still kick myself in the butt but anyway.
Hope those help and good luck.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:16 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
Just found my old notes.
Plastic-mart.com 866-310-2556
Plastic tanks.com custom tank design 800-826-5727
Or greyco products 519-923-0222. Look at marine holding tanks I know greyco products through my work and you can get anything you can afford.

I think plastic mart is the ones I actually talked to and seamed to be the best price for 3 custom tanks at the time but in the middle of sketching up what I wanted I ran into an old friend that gave me free reign of an old Minnie Winnie (winnebegao) before his bulldozer pushed it deep into the woods.
I got the tanks, the control panel and really wanted the propane genny but every rubber tube on it was gone and every hole there was full of dirt dobber nest so lack of money and time kinda scared me on that and I still kick myself in the butt but anyway.
Hope those help and good luck.
Subscribed
Thanks for the head's up!

This is a great place to "keep your notes"
Old 01-18-2017, 05:50 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
With that 90, it would help if you ran your gray water into the black tank via a cut off valve. That way you can dump the black, then "flush" the black tank and lines by running the gray through it. A lot of folks set their systems up that way.
Sorry,no can do. Greybtank will be 10" below black tank. I could pump it but that's a task for another day. Thanks all for the input.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:07 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
You know if you put in a composting toilet you wouldn't have to worry about using extra space and how to dump the black tank... Just sayin'...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:45 AM   #12
Bus Geek

My thought exactly (and also my solution to similar considerations). Having owned and dealt with a few blackwater systems...never again!
Old 01-18-2017, 10:49 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
It seems like a lot of people can't get their head around an alternative way of waste management rather than liquid sewage... I dumped the black tank in a friends RV once... ONCE, about a decade ago and decided that if I ever had one I wouldn't have a black tank.

I realize it's not for some people, but it really is amazing how well a dry toilet works in a confined space with no odor... I also understand how much better they work when you have a dedicated area to dump them in, but the bag it and dumpster it method seems to work well also.
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

My largest issue is that I have a sister in-law that suffered a brain injury as a young child. She is fully functional just not on her own. She is the type that if she locked the door to the bathroom she would break down the door getting out rather than push the lever over to un-lock it. Even if you asked she would just say its not locked, because most doors aren't this one must not be also. Simple minded, think 3 yr old in a 40yr old body. Couple that with the fact she is a larger gal and the need for a "normal" toilet in a larger than ideal setting becomes more obvious. She is the poster child for a bull in a china shop, and does not do well with change. Frustrating at times but it is what it is.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:08 PM   #15
Skoolie

Paperman, I can understand where you're coming from there. If it was just me, I'd be 100% on board with a composting toilet for my hypothetical bus conversion, but I have a wife who does not approve of toilets that don't go "whoosh" after use, and my daughters would find a way to mess up the composting system. I don't know how, but they would. They're creative that way.

I'm just hoping I can come up with a slightly more sanitary means of draining tanks than what we had to deal with on an RV we stayed in a while back. We spent about a year in the rig, and I gained an almost unmatched level of disdain for RV engineering practices. That sewage system sucked. The black tank seemed impossible to drain properly without standing around for half an hour flushing it from the toilet side with a hose. How someone builds a level tank, with square ends, and expects it to efficiently drain solid waste products is beyond me. There could have at least been some sloping or some kind of effort to make a funnel effect in the drain system, and if the maker knew you'd have to flush the tank manually by adding extra water anyway, how hard would it have been to just attach a water inlet to one side of the black tank?
lucasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 04:21 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperman View Post
Sorry,no can do. Greybtank will be 10" below black tank. I could pump it but that's a task for another day. Thanks all for the input.
Just an idea?
Depending on your needs for usage (freshwater tank capacity) you could combine them.
If you go that direction you might look into a few backwater valves (check valves for sewer systems).
If your freshwater is 50 gallons and your one sewage tank is 50 gallons then you will be left with enough house water in your freshwater tank to flush the combined tank because the solids are going to consume at last a 1/4 -13 gallons of that?
I wish I had went with the custom order tanks but I made my salvaged ones work with my layout cause my interior build was beyond changing it? But a flatter,longer tank would have been better in my mind cause of speed bumps but I run off of the idea that if my front right entry door steps don't catch a bump then my tanks are fine cause there bottoms are just a little above that? Until I finish skid plates for protection? I insulated my tanks with 2" ISO board with foil backing cause it was scrap big enough to cover my tanks going in a dumpster and after insulated my tanks had 1/8" to fit in the frame rails except my freshwater tank in between the frame rails insulated with 2" don't quite fit?
Working on that idea and have salvaged some 120v self regulating heat trace tape that is probably going to help with my lack of insulation. It will be buried under at least 1" of ISO board to make a tight fit cause the 2" just won't fit?
Good luck