Old 11-09-2009, 10:38 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Re: Building your own shower stall?

That doesn't surprise me any, ever since they changed ebay I have had nothing but trouble finding my saved searches & sellers list. The more they try and make it better, the worse it gets!!

Tri-State Surplus (link)

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Thanks! Saving him as a fav so maybe it won't disappear.
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:08 AM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy
Rated Cap: 84

Well this may not be the easiest or cheapest way but I bent up some SS and welded the corners and it works great (6X24X30"). I glued and screwed up thin paneling before installing the tub then contact cemented the cheap plastic sheet stuff to the paneling for the shower walls, of course after installing my tub which I screwed to the wall before sticking up the plastic. My SS tub is 6" tall and I brought the plastic down 2" over the SS so water wouldn't get out (and hide the screws). I also put silicone between the SS and the plastic so it couldn't capillary up and out. Haven't had a problem yet and I think there is a picture in my album of the shower. The toughest part is getting a curtain to work with the curved roof. sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 01:43 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60

Bought your parts yet?

Here's an under $100 idea. http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Sk...hift/Plumbing/

I don't really have a good shot of the finished installation. Half a whiskey barrel lined with fiberglass. It functions as a sitz-bath/shower pan/laundry tub. I still haven't put up the planned shower curtain, which would be on a curved rod of slightly larger diameter than the tub.

I use a flexible shower stalk (a 6' piece of hose with a multi-spray garden head set on the mist setting.) Very water efficient.

You could also build some kind of plywood box for a pan and line it with fiberglass. Fiberglass isn't too hard to work. If you have the skills it takes to cut fabric and spread paint, you can fiberglass.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:30 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Chassis: Safe T Liner
Engine: 3208 turbo

shower pan from discarded shower stall - bottom was all I wanted and the upper part was damaged - cut a hole above the starboard storage bay slightly larger than the pan and you have a start on a sunken shower.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT5151.JPG (50.0 KB, 661 views)
yankeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #16
Bus Nut

So is there any reason why I can't just put in a tall tub (cement tub, planter, cut-off shower stall, etc) and use a two ring curtain set up? Seams it would be easier and not take up more space with walls and what not.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Chassis: Safe T Liner
Engine: 3208 turbo

Hula Hoop and a shower curtain was my first shower and my water hose was black so my water was heated by solar power. I don't know how much water 100 ft. of black hose holds what it was enough to shower with. And like another poster who used something from the masonry department as shower pan, you can probably find something for free on Craig's list. Craig's list has supplied some really nice oak cabinetry for my bus, for under $100.
yankeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:28 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 88
Engine: 7.3 international

http://www.mcmaster.com/#uhmw-polyethylene/=58edb5

that stuff is cutting board material in bulk. it's white, smooth and easy to clean. you can get it in black too. and $50 for a 4'x8' sheet you could have your seamless shower walls for 100$. get a base for $50 off ebay. it's not the cheapest but it'll look professional when you are done.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeria
So is there any reason why I can't just put in a tall tub (cement tub, planter, cut-off shower stall, etc) and use a two ring curtain set up? Seams it would be easier and not take up more space with walls and what not.
I think that's an excellent idea. It would leave the space more open than a built-in shower cabinet. You pull the curtain back, and all of a sudden you can walk down the hallway without having to hold your arms in. People often think of use of space as exclusive with respect to usage. If you can use the space, even just by opening it up to make the hallway wider, you can increase your effective space, and make the bus bigger on the inside than it might seem. Most people look at a floorplan and think, "Okay, here's the shower's footprint, so I have to mark off that space as taken." Truth is, there's no reason that the space can't do double duty (even if it is only by providing a more open feel).

That's one thing that I struggle with regarding built-in anything: if it's not done very carefully, it defines your use of the space.

Not sure that's clear...
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Very clear to me. One reason I am seriously considering going with a design where there is very little 'hardspace' (a word I made up, so roomy tells me). I figure it will take time living in the bus to see where things should be, what space can be used for what, and for me it is important that I be able to change layout to fit the needs. If I nail walls everywhere I won't be able to do any of that. eek