Old 04-19-2016, 09:46 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
That sounds very appealing to have a black tank but I bought a medium bus and didn't want to permanently dedicate the floor space to a toilet after devoting the back of the bus to a small garage. I don't want to put a toilet by my bed or in the kitchen so I outsource for that necessity. There are usually enough bathrooms around most of the time, and on that rare occasion you know what bears do in the woods.
I store my fresh water tank inside to prevent it from freezing in the winter. It doesn't break the tank when it freezes but I do get awful thirsty. Grey water tanks not in the cabin area would freeze during cold weather too. I haven't found my sink yet, but I plan to cut the top of a plastic 55 gallon drum so the sink fits into the top of the drum. It should hold at least 35 gallons even at reduced capacity, and it's basically for washing dishes. I had a dishwasher but she divorced me.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:21 AM   #32

Alternative.

Me myself, I'm planning to get a good composting toilet and eliminate the black water tank all together. Figure it will pay for itself over time not having to pay dump fees and all the hassles that come with a black tank. Sure they can be pricey but in my opinion would be well worth the consideration.
Davecop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:29 AM   #33
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE200
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444E
Rated Cap: 72
we have lived off grid with composting toilets for years. make sure to consider the vent install and the need for a urine overflow to go somewhere. peat moss will sometimes clog the overflow and back it up. big soupy pee lake in bottom of tank. then when you clear the line watch out! because the lake empties fast! on board bouncing. ill stick to the tank. but understand the allure
www.roadrunnerlogik.blogspot.com
jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:54 AM   #34
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Personally I like the composting toilet simplicity, but then I live alone so that would probably be simple and the most economical. However I don't plan on paying $1k for a composting throne.
Many years ago they were called composting outhouses, and worked very well at eliminating odors compared to a normal outhouse. It's interesting to see this used on a smaller scale in composting toilets, but my fascination doesn't go anywhere near the commercial price the composting portapotty's are selling for.
I'd say the commercial price is a good incentive to explore how to make this type of toilet. Yeah dumping could be kind of ugly, but so is a black tank for the unlucky person that gets that chore.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote