Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Chassis: Chevy Blue Bird Mini Bird (P30)
Engine: GM Diesel 6.2
Compost Toilet Waste

Typically, when a compost toilet needs to be emptied, it's dumped into a compost pile on someones property. I've thought this over a lot about my bus.. but how can I dispose of my compost when I'm on the move all the time?

I plan on full-timing and traveling pretty often.

jacobszall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:43 PM   #2
Skoolie

Most any rest stop will have a dump facility that you can dump it into or be discrete and use grocery store plastic or paper bags and put in dumpster
Bluespoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:46 PM   #3
Skoolie

How long, generally, does it take to fully compost?

I know I can bury it if it's a certain distance from a water source..

I've seen bags online that say "hazardous" or something along those lines. Are those legal to put it in and then throw away?
Old 12-12-2016, 09:29 PM   #4
Skoolie

The idea of a "composting" toilet is a wrong idea, it is a dry toilet. No composting takes place in the amount of time it takes you to fill it.
It takes about 1 year for it to compost when put into a compost pile and then properly cared for.
As for what to do with it when your bucket gets full and you need to dump your dry toilet? Bag it and trash it. I know there are laws that may make it illegal in some areas, so know before you trash it. However, no one ever is going to ask to see your trash before you drop it in a trash can, so its a very low risk of you ever getting caught even if it is illegal.
Take a look at the composting toilet thread, it deals with this issue.
Oldmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:31 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmopars View Post
The idea of a "composting" toilet is a wrong idea, it is a dry toilet. No composting takes place in the amount of time it takes you to fill it.
It takes about 1 year for it to compost when put into a compost pile and then properly cared for.
As for what to do with it when your bucket gets full and you need to dump your dry toilet? Bag it and trash it. I know there are laws that may make it illegal in some areas, so know before you trash it. However, no one ever is going to ask to see your trash before you drop it in a trash can, so its a very low risk of you ever getting caught even if it is illegal.
thank you!
Old 12-13-2016, 06:42 AM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmopars View Post
This is very true. The term "composting" toilet is a marketing catch phrase that is used to encompass about everything that does not flush with water.

To get the real legals about disposal, call your local sewage treatment facility and they will either have the info, or be able to tell you where to attain it. But there are some very creative and non-invasive composting ideas on youtube and elsewhere online.

Probably the most valuable resource for you to own regarding your plans to use a dry or "composting" toilet, is the book title "The humanure handbook". I have it and it is incredible how much important information is in it, and is written in a very easy to read format.
The humanure handbook on amazon
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote