Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-24-2019, 12:20 PM   #1
Bus Nut
 
firebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waltham MA
Posts: 412
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Composting Toilet - Video

So.... I made this YouTube video as sort of a light-hearted jab at the hundreds (maybe thousands) of videos on there from people who are basically in love with their Nature's Head toilets. I feel a little weird posting about it because I've been pretty active on this forum and I wasn't sure I wanted people to know this was me... but what the hell. Ripping off the band-aid! The whole point is to get people to see it, I guess... and I've made a lot of friends here, so why not?

firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:55 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 17,792
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Wow very cool video. You're very endearing and you're very good on camera!
Nice to put a face and voice to your profile.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #3
Bus Nut
 
firebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waltham MA
Posts: 412
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Wow very cool video. You're very endearing and you're very good on camera!
Nice to put a face and voice to your profile.
Awwwww shucks... Thank you. I'm still feeling pretty awkward but it's getting less weird. I'm working on the 3rd one now.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:17 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 6,463
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Just FYI, as I understand it if you use a sphagnum peat moss it allows the composting to start right away while it's still in the bucket. The biggest negative of a natures head is the fact you have to pay close to $1K for a toilet I can build for less than $100. including the cabinet it sits in.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 03:36 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 17,792
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Just FYI, as I understand it if you use a sphagnum peat moss it allows the composting to start right away while it's still in the bucket. The biggest negative of a natures head is the fact you have to pay close to $1K for a toilet I can build for less than $100. including the cabinet it sits in.
dry toilets are handy and we may end up putting one in our bus. The actual "composting" takes a LOT longer than that poo is in the commode, though. They're just human litter boxes. Handy, though.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 09:47 PM   #6
Bus Nut
 
firebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waltham MA
Posts: 412
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
dry toilets are handy and we may end up putting one in our bus. The actual "composting" takes a LOT longer than that poo is in the commode, though. They're just human litter boxes. Handy, though.
Right! If people would just admit they do it for convenience and not for the environment, it wouldn't be so fun to rag on them!

And as far as I understand it, though the toilet can begin the process, there's no way it's composted enough to use on plants unless you're either leaving it in the toilet for a year or your toilet is very very hot. Plus - removing all the pee is not necessarily the right thing to do for composting, though it's a common practice for small living spaces because of smell reduction.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 02:43 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie
 
Setsu-P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Rocky Mount, VA
Posts: 38
This is going directly into my bus stuff playlist. Aaaaand you might have a new subscriber, lol.
I love what I can see of your bus in the background, by the way!
Setsu-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 12:49 PM   #8
Bus Nut
 
firebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waltham MA
Posts: 412
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Setsu-P View Post
This is going directly into my bus stuff playlist. Aaaaand you might have a new subscriber, lol.
I love what I can see of your bus in the background, by the way!
Thanks! Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I was busy having an argument in the Skoolie Nation Facebook group.

I'll show the whole interior soon. Trying to entice people with little bits of the background first. Glad to know it's working!

Thanks for subscribing, it really helps.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #9
Skoolie
 
peakbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Sandpoint, ID
Posts: 129
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas Vista
Chassis: International 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 12
Hilarious! Well said about the lack of composting actually going on. A little concerning how much waste is getting dumped in garbage from the new nomad movement (pun intended)
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:36 PM   #10
Bus Nut
 
firebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waltham MA
Posts: 412
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by peakbus View Post
Hilarious! Well said about the lack of composting actually going on. A little concerning how much waste is getting dumped in garbage from the new nomad movement (pun intended)
LOL!

A guy over on Facebook just told me that throwing poop in the trash is the same as composting if you use compostable bags, because someone is going to bring it to the landfill. And of course we all know landfills are where composting happens.
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.