Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2017, 01:02 PM   #241
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanT720 View Post
Not sure if this was mentioned but urine separating toilets, and composting toilets are very different.. I personally think composting is the way to go.. Composting toilets do not separate the urine.. Because you need the nitrates from the pee to create the compost. When its time to empty the toilet, I've heard it doesn't smell, and is the consistency of dirt.. With a urine separating toilet... You have to empty the pee... and empty the poo.. which still smells like poo, and looks like poo... because it is poo.. Not compost..
unless you only empty the bucket every 6 months or so, I don't see how its actually "composting".
Isn't it the piss that makes it stink worse??

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:18 PM   #242
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
unless you only empty the bucket every 6 months or so, I don't see how its actually "composting".
Isn't it the piss that makes it stink worse??
Correct on both counts. The term "composting toilet" is a bit of a misnomer.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:27 PM   #243
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Another great idea!

I hate having to clean cover material out of the diverter. I do my best to keep it where it belongs but once in a while I miss.......
You know what would be cool is to have a handle like a regular flush toilet only instead of flushing, it drops a handful of cover material out of a chute for hands-off throne-time.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:08 PM   #244
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
You know what would be cool is to have a handle like a regular flush toilet only instead of flushing, it drops a handful of cover material out of a chute for hands-off throne-time.
I was thinking the exact same thing the other day. People here seem to be pretty industrious, so perhaps something like this could be transformed into a cedar chip dispenser?

https://youtu.be/Gx2KbgzPnPU?t=1s

The chute would be under the platform and go into the bucket. Of course there would probably need to be a few inches of space between bottom of seat platform and rim of bucket.
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:39 PM   #245
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Correct on both counts. The term "composting toilet" is a bit of a misnomer.
Agreed, I am definitely not composting... my poo is composting out at the dump.

Sandi
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:40 PM   #246
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
Yes!! Someone needs to invent that! My big yellow litter bucket with the Flanagan's big green cup will have to do until someone does
Old 09-25-2017, 06:08 PM   #247
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Sandi -
Where did you get that urine diverter? It is much better than the one I was trying to build!
- Roger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post

As you can see there are plenty of angles to prevent odor.
Also, once a day I flush it with a couple of ounces of water.
Sandi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2017, 06:16 PM   #248
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
I was 100% sure I was going to have a traditional rv toilet and black tank... but this thread is extremely interesting and informative I'm so glad I read through it thanks to all contributors. I do still have some questions. What about the composting toilets makes them more aromatically friendly then a porta potty? Appears to be a similar set up, Is the concept much different? on the home made versions I havent noticed anybody using some sort of sealing lid. would there be drawbacks to that? My idea would be a lid that seals when shut (just kind of heavy perhaps) and a small vent fan that would kick on when the lid is lifted. Seems like this may further prevent smell Entering the living space.

I am very new to the idea because I have in general a low tolerance for gross but in the portable home world a person has to deal with it one way or another and this is starting to sound better than a black tank that needs to be dumped at a specific location

Thanks
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:21 PM   #249
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
Sandi -
Where did you get that urine diverter? It is much better than the one I was trying to build!
- Roger.
I am not Sandi but I do have the same diverter

URINE DIVERTER for Dry Composting Toilet. Plastic Wee Separator (Separett Privy) | eBay
Old 09-25-2017, 06:36 PM   #250
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I was 100% sure I was going to have a traditional rv toilet and black tank... but this thread is extremely interesting and informative I'm so glad I read through it thanks to all contributors. I do still have some questions. What about the composting toilets makes them more aromatically friendly then a porta potty? Appears to be a similar set up, Is the concept much different? on the home made versions I havent noticed anybody using some sort of sealing lid. would there be drawbacks to that? My idea would be a lid that seals when shut (just kind of heavy perhaps) and a small vent fan that would kick on when the lid is lifted. Seems like this may further prevent smell Entering the living space.

I am very new to the idea because I have in general a low tolerance for gross but in the portable home world a person has to deal with it one way or another and this is starting to sound better than a black tank that needs to be dumped at a specific location

Thanks
Hey Jacob,

I have a bit of bad news for you. If you put a toilet in your bus you will have to deal with some amount of "gross" regardless of what kind of toilet you install. No mobile installation will match the level of "clean separation" that you get with the toilet in your house.

You will have to get fairly close to waste material when disposing of it.

That said, I have almost 10 years of living full time in an RV. I have found over that time that conventional RV toilets smell bad at times. Composting toilets (of the sort we are discussing) have some fragrance as well but much less than a conventional RV toilets.

Two things contribute significantly to smell. Mixing of urine & feces and anaerobic decomposition. With a urine separating toilet you significantly eliminate these two factors.

Not to say that poo smells like roses but the odor is minimal when urine is diverted and you use an adequate amount of quality cover material.

If you use the wrong cover material or fail to cover adequately then you will have increased odor.

I use a biodegradable bin liner in my bucket. when it is time for dump, I close the top of the bin liner then remove the bucket and dump it in an appropriate location. The bin liner helps keep the bucket clean and keeps me from getting an up close view of the contents.

I'm rambling a bit... I hope that I answered your questions.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:46 PM   #251
Traveling

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
I was 100% sure I was going to have a traditional rv toilet and black tank... but this thread is extremely interesting and informative I'm so glad I read through it thanks to all contributors. I do still have some questions. What about the composting toilets makes them more aromatically friendly then a porta potty?
There is also a small fan that draws the odor out- some use a computer cooling fan. It pushes the stink up the vent thru the roof (ideally).
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:48 PM   #252
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Sandi -
- Roger.
Hi Roger,
I got it from here: https://www.freerangedesigns.co.uk/u...oilet-488.html.
It took about 10 days to receive it because it came from the UK.
I made several attempts at making my own and just couldn't get it just right, this one is working perfectly!
Sandi
Old 09-25-2017, 06:56 PM   #253
Bus Crazy

Quote:

Thanks
The hose attached to the black tank is exactly why I didn't go that way... EWWWW!
I don't consider mine a "compost" toilet, because I am not converting my waste to compost. My urine diverts to a grey tank and my poo goes in my Home Depot bucket. The bucket is lined with a Glad garbage bag and I use this cat litter: https://bluebuffalo.com/natural-cat-...umping-litter/
Now that my urine is not mixing with my poo, there is no odor. The litter has great coverage. I empty the bag every 10 days or so. I double bag it by putting it in my waste can bag and off to the dumpster it goes.
I have a lovely wooden toilet seat and lid, and when not in use, I put the lid down, just like I did when I lived in my condo. You could get a 12v fan, but I have windows in my bathroom and they are always open when I am stationary.
Sandi
Old 09-25-2017, 08:01 PM   #254
Skoolie

[QUOTE=PNW_Steve;225657]Hey Jacob,

I have a bit of bad news for you. If you put a toilet in your bus you will have to deal with some amount of "gross" regardless of what kind of toilet you install. No mobile installation will match the level of "clean separation" that you get with the toilet in your house.

I know I will have to deal with it one way or another I just want to make it as easy on myself as possible. I am really starting to lean in this direction. The tank and hose don't seem any more sanitary than pulling out a liner and tossing and the much more convenient without sewer hook-ups. My main concern is the odor. I have been around traditional RV toilets and your right they are not the greatest in that department either.

I will definitely be doing something that separates the solids from the liquids this seams like the biggest difference from a traditional "porta potty"
Old 09-25-2017, 08:09 PM   #255
Skoolie

Quote:
The hose attached to the black tank is exactly why I didn't go that way... EWWWW!
I don't consider mine a "compost" toilet, because I am not converting my waste to compost. My urine diverts to a grey tank and my poo goes in my Home Depot bucket. The bucket is lined with a Glad garbage bag and I use this cat litter: https://bluebuffalo.com/natural-cat-...umping-litter/
Now that my urine is not mixing with my poo, there is no odor. The litter has great coverage. I empty the bag every 10 days or so. I double bag it by putting it in my waste can bag and off to the dumpster it goes.
I have a lovely wooden toilet seat and lid, and when not in use, I put the lid down, just like I did when I lived in my condo. You could get a 12v fan, but I have windows in my bathroom and they are always open when I am stationary.
Sandi

I am with you on the hose for sure Sandi, I was at a campground without sewer hookups that many folks were staying at long time. They were emptying the black tanks into poo wagons and dragging them too the dump station... so they had to deal with the waste twice!

I feel like the stuff used on top is probably what makes or breaks this type of toilet I will be looking into kitty litter for sure. I probably won't have the ability to leave the windows open all the time but a fan seems like a great compromise.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2017, 08:12 PM   #256
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I am looking forward to seeing you and your bus on Saturday!!!!

And I just ordered the part - it won't be here by this weekend - so I will have to use the alternative one I made!

Quote:
Hi Roger,
I got it from here: https://www.freerangedesigns.co.uk/u...oilet-488.html.
It took about 10 days to receive it because it came from the UK.
I made several attempts at making my own and just couldn't get it just right, this one is working perfectly!
Sandi
Old 09-25-2017, 08:29 PM   #257
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I hear the same thing over and over - bucket and / or composting toilets smell.. so what I fail to understand... is why not just change the bag every time you use it?

it seems like with urine going down into the grey tank.. where you very well might have soaps, shampoo, etc that its odor would get fairly neutralized in there,, and then in the "bucket, you poo and bag it , and place it into a sealed trash can.. so sure.. maybe once a week you have to deal with a bit of smell when you take out the trash from that big can.. but you dont have a daily odor in the commode room...

I suppose if you have an RV toilet in a mobile bus youd never have to use a "poo wagon" as you can always drive to the dump station at the campground.. but wit ha bucket toilet you empoty each time you pretyy much elminate the smell..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:56 PM   #258
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I am with you on the hose for sure Sandi, I was at a campground without sewer hookups that many folks were staying at long time. They were emptying the black tanks into poo wagons and dragging them too the dump station... so they had to deal with the waste twice!

I feel like the stuff used on top is probably what makes or breaks this type of toilet I will be looking into kitty litter for sure. I probably won't have the ability to leave the windows open all the time but a fan seems like a great compromise.

Thanks
That is GROSS, and I deliver babies for living, takes a lot for me to be grossed out, but black tanks gross me out.

I am very happy with my situation. I twist the bag closed, tie it and toss it, easy peasy and no odor.

Sandi
Old 09-25-2017, 08:58 PM   #259
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I am looking forward to seeing you and your bus on Saturday!!!!

And I just ordered the part - it won't be here by this weekend - so I will have to use the alternative one I made!
4 days away!!! Woo hoo!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:00 PM   #260
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I hear the same thing over and over - bucket and / or composting toilets smell.. so what I fail to understand... is why not just change the bag every time you use it?

it seems like with urine going down into the grey tank.. where you very well might have soaps, shampoo, etc that its odor would get fairly neutralized in there,, and then in the "bucket, you poo and bag it , and place it into a sealed trash can.. so sure.. maybe once a week you have to deal with a bit of smell when you take out the trash from that big can.. but you dont have a daily odor in the commode room...

I suppose if you have an RV toilet in a mobile bus youd never have to use a "poo wagon" as you can always drive to the dump station at the campground.. but wit ha bucket toilet you empoty each time you pretyy much elminate the smell..

-Christopher
I throw a cup of litter on top of my poo and no odor... i change the bag every 7-10 days, depending on usage

See you this weekend!