Old 01-06-2017, 10:30 PM   #181
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Tripple stampsies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
1olfart... love your "dropbox" name!

I'm sure once she gets use to it, it'll be fine. It took me a couple of weeks to wrap my mind around it and now it's like part of my life.

Now to build a box!

Sandi

I second the drop box!

And same here; after a few weeks i was used to it and even loom forward to using it.
Soooo glad i didnt buy one. Also, yes a nice toilet seat changes the game from adequate to delightful.

Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #182
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakn View Post
All great info. But for myself I still like my tanks. 40 gallon black and 40 gallon gray. Draining is not messy if you do it right. My wife and I can go over 2 weeks between dumping the tanks.
I pull up to sanistation, attach the drain hose, pull the black tank and drain. When that is done, I pull the gray tank, this flushes out the hose. When done properly there is no smell and the outside of the hose doesn't even get wet.
Of course while all of this is going on I am refilling my fresh tanks.
My wife is dumping all the garbage in the bins.
It really is a painless process and relatively clean when done right.
Just my 2cents
Most certainly. You seem to have the knowledge of how to properly use and maintain a black water system. I for one am certainly not in any way telling you that you are wrong for choosing and using such a system.

Now think of all the people that do not know how to properly empty and maintain their black water system. It has nothing to do with the owners manual or the sales staff teaching them, it is just that they do not possess the ability to understand the "how" the black water system works and the importance of following procedure when dumping.
They give rvers a black eye every time they use the dump stations.

Same can be said for the referred to "composting toilet". Many people do not understand or possess the ability to comprehend how such a system can work. They buy into it for what ever reason and fail to take the time to learn the procedures of dumping and cleaning. They give rvers and other users of the system a black eye.

I the end there are many systems that are viable. Where problems arise in discussing or comparing the many systems, is that so many people are not confident enough to acknowledge that other systems are just as viable as their own choice. Arguments and insults ensue and eventually no one wins.

Using your very own description of how you dump your black and grey tanks, I can relate to how simple my composting system is. I have a system down that is highly efficient, quick and easy, and clean, just as you do with the black tank system. The main difference is that where you have to maintain a water supply system to your toilet and maintain your toilet seals and black tank as well as keep them from freezing etc., I dont have any of that. Instead I have to maintain a compost bin and cover material supply, where you do not. Our choices work for us. Your black tank system works well for you. My compost system works well for me. They're both viable. I am more at ease and comfortable maintaining a compost bin than a black tank system. My chosen system is not better, it is just no worse either.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:51 PM   #183
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Dry toilet is a much better way of putting it.
I just think its silly to keep the "composting" part in the conversation as its just a fairy tale.
Agreed!
WanderWoman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:54 PM   #184
Bus Nut

Quote:
All great info. But for myself I still like my tanks. 40 gallon black and 40 gallon gray. Draining is not messy if you do it right. My wife and I can go over 2 weeks between dumping the tanks.
I pull up to sanistation, attach the drain hose, pull the black tank and drain. When that is done, I pull the gray tank, this flushes out the hose. When done properly there is no smell and the outside of the hose doesn't even get wet.
Just my 2cents
That would work if you only are on the road. I'll be parked until September, living and working off the bus (with the exception of the Florida/East Coast get together). It would be a pain in the butt to pack up all this stuff just to go find a place to dump it.

Sandi
Old 01-07-2017, 03:49 AM   #185
Site Team

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Definitely different if you are parked in one spot for long periods. If I was on my own land for long periods I would just build an out house close by that I could dump into without moving.
I can certainly see the convenience of throwing a bag in the dumpster though.
It boils down to whatever you are comfortable with.
No matter which system you use, you still need to top up your fresh water.
For myself, I have to dump the gray tank anyways. ( I'm not comfortable dumping the gray on the ground, it can be pretty gross and smelly, and I worry about my pets walking through it or trying to drink it..bleh)
Old 01-07-2017, 03:54 AM   #186
Site Team

Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
The key is to be careful and sanitary. That and the fact that you are living in a bus...how cool is that
Old 01-07-2017, 06:14 AM   #187
Skoolie

Quote:
the key is to be careful and sanitary. That and the fact that you are living in a bus...how cool is that
like !!....
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #188
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Just my 2cents
When I spent 2-3 weeks a year in my RV I felt the same way.

When I went full time my perspective evolved...
PNW_Steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:58 AM   #189
Bus Nut

Quote:
The key is to be careful and sanitary. That and the fact that you are living in a bus...how cool is that
The coolest thing ever!
Last night it got down to 48 here in so. Florida. I was really worried about how cold I'd be, but my space heater, two chihuahuas and my Maine coon cat kept me warm

Loving my Bus Life!

Sandi
Old 01-08-2017, 11:34 AM   #190
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas Vista
Chassis: International 3600
Engine: Navistar T444E 7.3 Turbo Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
The coolest thing ever!
Last night it got down to 48 here in so. Florida.
Down to 36 here, used my Mr Heater Buddy for the first time! Tough to keep warm without any insulation! The cat slept under the blankets with us even.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote