Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2017, 09:40 PM   #301
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
That's a pretty awesome toilet, Ross!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 01:55 AM   #302
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 8.3L 12v
Rated Cap: 78
That's a thing of beauty Ross

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
miscrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 06:00 AM   #303
Skoolie

For sure two huge thumbs up for the TJones info in #299 and rossfree's info and pictures of a very well made system.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:01 AM   #304
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: AmTran 11 Window
Chassis: IHC
Engine: DT466e
GREAT stuff on this forum! This is my first use (aside from occasional lurking) and I'm blown away by the responsiveness. Thank you everyone.

So it seems my decision is: small batch and dehydrate, or large batch and compost...

Ross, beautiful craftsmanship! Quick question on use- how do you intend to empty it? Scoop it out?
paulnack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:27 PM   #305
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Ward?
Engine: 8.2 liter ?
Rated Cap: 24 Passenger
I was kinda hoping I could get you to do it Paul.

Honestly... I don't know how hard it will be to clean out. I thought I'd turn off power to the unit then grab the mixer and turn it vertical to give me scooping room. Then get a scoop like one you'd find in a hotel ice machine to clean it out.

After reading literature on the natures head and the like, I figured it would be like scooping earthy smelling compost. But after the discussions here I too believe it more likely that we are building more of a dehydrator than a composter. I agree that it may take longer to compost than the time allowed before removal. The sheer size of mine will maybe give it more time than most so we'll see.

When I started the build it was meant to appeal to my loving wife's sensitivities. If I'm gonna sell her on this thing it better look damn inviting! Ha!

What's funny is... I'm the one with bugaphobia! (Damn... spell-check liked that word!) Anyway, we are going through the tail-end of spider season here in rural Arkansas. And I've walked into and through so many spider webs, pawing my way out of them and looking on my person for those damn spiders, I'm super sensitive to them now. If Insit on my composter to do my business and feel a big crawl across my ass... well... after the thrashing, clawing and screaming to get out ensues, we're likely gonna need a whole new bathroom!

Just sayin'!!!

Ross
rossfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:42 PM   #306
Mini-Skoolie

haha the many pitfalls.... oops, maybe not the best word choice when discussing latrines. Expected when we're trying to achieve so many things with a DIY solution. Maybe give your creation a test run before installation? From camping and diving, I've learned never to field test new gear ;)

One thing that has struck me- with a single collection compartment, you will constantly have fresh waste at any time you go to empty the unit. I'm currently trying to wrap my head around a multi-compartment solution, i.e. one for filling and at least one other for aging. Best concept I've got so far is a lazy-susan that rotates buckets under the toilet seat. Perhaps I will mount that entire assembly in the basement, with a door accessible from the outside.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:53 AM   #307
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulnack View Post
haha the many pitfalls.... oops, maybe not the best word choice when discussing latrines. Expected when we're trying to achieve so many things with a DIY solution. Maybe give your creation a test run before installation? From camping and diving, I've learned never to field test new gear ;)

One thing that has struck me- with a single collection compartment, you will constantly have fresh waste at any time you go to empty the unit. I'm currently trying to wrap my head around a multi-compartment solution, i.e. one for filling and at least one other for aging. Best concept I've got so far is a lazy-susan that rotates buckets under the toilet seat. Perhaps I will mount that entire assembly in the basement, with a door accessible from the outside.
I have seen the "lazy Susan" solution built using 3 55 gallon barrels. If you are willing to give up the space I think it would scale down to 5 gallon buckets ok.

Another solution would be to equip your buckets with screw top lids and have exterior storage for the spares. Maybe a rear bumper mounted rack?

When your bucket is full throw a lid on it and take it outside and replace it with an empty one. Let the full ones age until you get back to where your compost pile is.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #308
Mini-Skoolie

I see it as an alternative to a black water tank, so I dont mind devoting the space. Although I always appreciate simplifying a solution.

Any info online about that 55gal lazy susan system?? Im assuming someone had this in the basement of a traditional home (sans wheels lol).
Old 10-14-2017, 02:23 PM   #309
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulnack View Post
I see it as an alternative to a black water tank, so I dont mind devoting the space. Although I always appreciate simplifying a solution.

Any info online about that 55gal lazy susan system?? Im assuming someone had this in the basement of a traditional home (sans wheels lol).
I stumbled across it while researching composting options.

It was pretty straightforward. Three barrels with removable tops sitting on a 4' diameter plywood platform with casters on it.

It was an "outhouse" that was built on a slope. A couple of steps up to the toilet or a couple of steps down to the barrels.

Another cool idea I saw used a regular flush toilet that emptied into a large bin that contained some soil and redworms. As materials were added the worms had a buffet. She built it with two bins with the idea that when one filled she could switch to the other and empty the first. The worms were so effective that after almost two years she had not filled the first bin yet. Not likely to be practical in a bus but interesting.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:53 PM   #310
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International Harvester
Engine: Dt-466
Rated Cap: 78
Back in my early Marine Corps days, we never saw a Porta John. 55 gallon drum's cut in half were our reservoirs. Pull the full ones out, dump a couple gallons of diesel in, a good stir followed by a quart of gasoline and it all turned to ash. And there was a lot of urine in those half drums.
I would think a metal bucket in a diverting drop box would burn quite well.
Not some thing I would try in a campground, but out in the hinterlands with waste restrictions a workable solution.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:06 AM   #311
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
Back in my early Marine Corps days, we never saw a Porta John. 55 gallon drum's cut in half were our reservoirs. Pull the full ones out, dump a couple gallons of diesel in, a good stir followed by a quart of gasoline and it all turned to ash. And there was a lot of urine in those half drums.
I would think a metal bucket in a diverting drop box would burn quite well.
Not some thing I would try in a campground, but out in the hinterlands with waste restrictions a workable solution.
My friend's dad was in Vietnam and told me the same thing.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:55 PM   #312
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC bus
Engine: VT365
Rated Cap: 35C24A
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I sure like the idea of having one but am really attached to using the pail liner in my bucket.

Did you build your own? If so, could we get details? Any chance your method of churn would accommodate having a liner?
I am chiming in without having made it through the whole thread so someone may have covered this idea... but here it goes anyway...
The Separett compost toilet (swiss brand) uses a rotating bucket function to help the poo spread evenly and fill slower. It does´t help with the compost rate but it does help with the time between bucket changes. Could be a good idea to incorporate into a DIY toilet.
Tyania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:43 PM   #313
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC bus
Engine: VT365
Rated Cap: 35C24A
I am prepping all of the entrances and exits in the bus shell and am trying to decide where to vent my compost toilet. The toilet will be facing the aisle so the back vented area will be up against the side wall of the bus. and the vent has a 12v fan pushing air out.

Option 1, straight out the side... (worried about the smell flying back in through the windows on that side)
Option 2, straight up and out the roof... (first concern is can it go straight up and out the curved part of the roof? or too much of a leak potential? AND... smell blowing straight on the roof deck and making that build area unappealing.)
Option 3, up and then along the roof curve inside the bus and then turn out of the flatter part of the roof... (annoying part being the ugly pipe running around and using headroom).
Option 4, run it out of the bus and up to the roof (legal 2" sticking out and running up the side?)
Option 5, run it out the side and down so the smell blows away hopefully before getting up in the windows... (again, legal? and will the going down direction inhibit the fan flow?)

How do the vented compost toilet users have their vents installed? and the pros and cons of that location?

Sorry if it has already been covered in this thread but I only made it through the first half of the 30-some pages before my toddler´s patience ran out.
Tyania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:16 AM   #314
Bus Geek

On my last on I had intended to vent it through the floor. Then I got busy and didn't get around to it. Used it for about 18 months full time and smell was never an issue.

I have heard from folks who did vent a recommendation that you have some means of closing the vent while driving. Apparently when they were on the highway and opened side windows it created a vacuum and overcame the vent fan and drew air into the interior of their RV.