Old 06-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #221
Almost There

To each his own! Whatever works for you. I am a mobile generator tech. You can't always find a place to go. Most of us in the company use a 5 gallon bucket with a tight fitting lid. A lot of the other guys live in apartments or live in town and do not have a compost pile. I do have serveral large compost bins and it works out really good.
superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:55 PM   #222
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
This thread has truly lost the plot.

LMAO... truth. It's all gone to ****!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #223
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Back to helpful comments, I ended up with a composting toilet. Just because the whole concept of my rig is to be completely self sufficient (minus diesel) and off-grid. I bought the Nature's Head model. It was expensive but it is really nice. I did mod it slightly, however, in upgrading the 12v fan. The original one pulled .07 amps and my new one, slightly larger in size, pulls .15 I think. Both values are negligible to me with an 10kWh battery backup. The new fan seems to push a LOT more air. I wasn't having any problems with back draft but it seemed like the original was weak. I ran the exhaust out the side with a mushroom vent and added no-see-um mesh on both the intake and exhaust so I don't end up with any bugs inside. I'll update after a few more months of use, but happy I pulled the trigger on that.
I've never seen it but I'm guessing that no-see-um mesh is really fine-grained stuff. That would translate to more difficulty pushing/pulling air through. If the fan supplied was marginal/barely adequate for the job before the vent screen mod, that might be the kicker right there.

Just an observation; I would have/probably will do the same thing.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:38 AM   #224

I am in the process of building out my bucket system and have a question for people who drain the urine into grey tanks. Do you have a traditional trap plumbed in (with which I would like you'd just have urine chilling out in your pipe all the time)? Someone suggested a waterless urinal valve for it, but those are replacement cartridges for commercial urinals and run $40 a pop. I've been looking for a simpler check valve, but I'm not sure pee will have enough Psi to open it reliably. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Colin
czoesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:35 AM   #225
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by czoesq View Post
I am in the process of building out my bucket system and have a question for people who drain the urine into grey tanks. Do you have a traditional trap plumbed in (with which I would like you'd just have urine chilling out in your pipe all the time)? Someone suggested a waterless urinal valve for it, but those are replacement cartridges for commercial urinals and run $40 a pop. I've been looking for a simpler check valve, but I'm not sure pee will have enough Psi to open it reliably. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Colin

Put the trap in it, but T the drain from your sink in before the trap (with another trap on the sink drain before you get to the urine pipe, of course.)

Then just wash your hands after you're done, and it'll purge the urine from the trap and leave it full of water from your sink.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #226
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas Vista
Chassis: International 3600
Engine: Navistar T444E 7.3 Turbo Diesel
I don't use a grey tank, just a jug. I just used a piece of rubber hose, pour a little vinegar and water down it now and then and it is fine.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:49 PM   #227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
Put the trap in it, but T the drain from your sink in before the trap (with another trap on the sink drain before you get to the urine pipe, of course.)

Then just wash your hands after you're done, and it'll purge the urine from the trap and leave it full of water from your sink.
Well gosh, that makes plenty of sense. My ignorance comes through every time I post here, thanks for the great advice though!
czoesq is offline   Reply With Quote