Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2016, 10:44 AM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Jeff View Post
I really like that C-heah. it churns mixture so your composting properly. I did read that if your not churning it your prepping it to be put into a compost. I do composting myself I can see what they mean. if you don't move the product around it will not ever fully compost.

Hey Jeff,

I suspect that the churn may be to make covering more effective and prevent the "poo pyramid" that can occur without.

I don't think any of us will be waiting long enough before emptying the toilet for composting to occur in the toilet.

PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Hey Jeff,

I suspect that the churn may be to make covering more effective and prevent the "poo pyramid" that can occur without.
Absolutely this... I've recently added a churn to mine and it's amazing how much longer I can go between dumping the bucket. Definitely a good idea...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:33 PM   #43
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
Absolutely this... I've recently added a churn to mine and it's amazing how much longer I can go between dumping the bucket. Definitely a good idea...
I sure like the idea of having one but am really attached to using the pail liner in my bucket.

Did you build your own? If so, could we get details? Any chance your method of churn would accommodate having a liner?

The ease of emptying mine is a joy compared to dealing with the black tank and I hope to keep it that way.

Thanks.

S.
Old 11-04-2016, 03:37 PM   #44
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
yes i built my own... my "churn" is a big paddle and a rubber glove that I use to manually stir up the mix... low tech but it works.

When I'm on the road I use liners and toss 'em in dumpsters just like a big-ass diaper. When I'm stationary, like right now, I use no liner in the bucket and dump in a compost pile when full and then rinse it out.

So far with no liner there's almost no odor from the bucket after you empty it, I just rinse it down for piece of mind and to get any leftover sawdust off the sides of the bucket.

I see no reason one could not manually mix with a liner in the bucket. I just don't feel like wasting liners when I don't need to use them...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:06 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126 7.2 / Allison AT545
Rated Cap: 77 Passenger
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...2014.47.22.jpg
PoolRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:03 PM   #46
Bus Nut

What a spiffy looking poopot! Now I just need to repurpose the top of my grandparents roll top desk. RIP (the desktop, and the poo)
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #47
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Let me weigh in on my experience with Nature's Head composting toilet.
  1. Biggest drawback? Churning the compost after each use.
  2. Next biggest drawback? Monitoring levels, both liquid & solid. If the liquid level exceeds the capacity of the bottle, it overflows into the solids.
  3. Did I anchor it to the floor? No. It's heavy enough to stay put on its own.
  4. Height issues? Not at all. It's actually a fairly tall unit.
  5. Venting? Well, you can if you must, but I haven't noticed any foul odors emanating.
  6. Cleaning the bowl and exterior is a snap. The manufacturer supplies a small bottle to hold a 1:1 vinegar/water mix. I'd recommend a larger bottle and quite possibly installing a paper towel holder nearby. The toilet tolerates regular TP, even the wet wipes.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:00 PM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126 7.2 / Allison AT545
Rated Cap: 77 Passenger
took me 2 WEEKS to build that darn thing!!!
PoolRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 07:42 PM   #49
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
For me its the water savings. But I think I now have room under the bus for more fuel. I have a long range but I like to buy as much cheap fuel as i can when its out there. I like the idea of 200 gallons. Thats about half way to the other side of the country. BUt if i get bored or want to start driving and turn into a tourist id have enough tanks set up to go with WMO system. Down south i could run for free where its over 70F.

Here in Washington state were we pay high fuel prices and 0.63 cents per gallon. IT APPEARS WE HIRE CREWS TO DIG POT HOLES EVERY WHERE. They sure don't fix roads here. Need a floating bridge to no where? we can do that for you.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 11:22 PM   #50
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfree View Post
I built a composting toilet. Kinda got carried away actually. The idea of spending a grand on a plastic bowl with a crank irked me so I, er, overdesigned it a bit...

Ross
how much would you sell me something like this for? the design is as good as the craftsmanship

Old 11-05-2016, 12:05 AM   #51
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Ward?
Engine: 8.2 liter ?
Rated Cap: 24 Passenger
Ha! You flatter me! Don't buy it! Build it! Much more fun that way. I just started with one piece of wood and kept adding more till it looked right. Of course, some of the 5gallon bucket toilet guys have it really figured out... a liner! How great is that! No liner in mine... I've got to get the kitty litter scoop. I hope it turns out like dirt. My wife is not likely to take the clean-out roll! Ha!

Thank you!

Ross
rossfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 06:38 AM   #52
Skoolie

Good job Steve. Looks great.
I dont know why your search did not show any detailed threads as there are many, some recent.

However, I too use a home made 5 gal composter. I have and have read the Humanure Handbook which is a worth while read even for those that do not compost their toilet waste.

Though the separation method can work for odor control, so will experimenting with cover materials. It took several tries, and I am constantly looking to fine tune and get that perfect mix, but for now, I use a blend that I mix myself. It consists of about 1/3 fine shavings that you can get at many country stores that sell pet and livestock eq. Mine are fine douglas fir shavings in a compressed bale with a small bit of moisture left in them. I then mix an unmeasured amount of clay litter, say about 2 large coffee cans or so, whatever is on sale at walmart or costco, and top it off with fine peat moss. That is for a 5 gal bucket cover container. Mix well and use.

It works very well. Trick is to have a medium that is absorbent in the mix. Shavings really do not absorb much, and certainly do not hold what little they do absorb. Peat moss can also have issues with that depending upon the source, but the clay litter does absorb liquid well and hold it.

I'm working on adding charcoal to the mix. Biggest hold back with that right now is dust. I need to get charcoal that is particle sized about like the clay litter. Charcoal is an excellent odor controller and also adds to the composting process.

But the cover material is a key factor to many aspects of composting human waste. A dense, fine, and absorbent material or mix of materials works best. The more dense and absorbent you can get the mix, the less you have to dump the bucket and the less odor you will have, if any odor at all. Paying attention to the liquid volume ratio will also dictate how you mix your cover material.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:28 AM   #53
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Has anyone here used the "coir" (coconut fibers) that some of the high end composting makers recommend? Results?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:46 AM   #54
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Has anyone here used the "coir" (coconut fibers) that some of the high end composting makers recommend? Results?
Not yet. I just found out my local landscape potting soil production company buys it in large quantities and uses it in some of their products. I am going to ask if I can buy a bale of it. Otherwise I have not had any luck locating it locally at any retailers.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #55
Bus Nut

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
lots of nitrogen in urine, people have been using piss as fertilizer for thousands of years...
Bleach, too: that's how the Romans got their togas so white. Well, how their slaves did, anyway.
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:22 AM   #56
Bus Geek

Quote:
I started out with coco based on the recommendation in the Wynn's video.

I bought the compressed brick and added water. I bit of a pain but not terrible. The two biggest issues were that it stayed damp and did not cover as well as I would like. Also, it is expensive at local suppliers.

I am currently using fine sawdust from a cabinet shop. It is working quite well for us and is free.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:17 PM   #57
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
I think I'm too old for that toilet ... My buddies hang too low, and if I accidentally hit the button I'd get pulled in.

Ok, seriously that's a pretty cool design
[emoji23] BWAHAHAHAHA
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:53 AM   #58
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Chassis: 40ft RE
Engine: 3208 Cat Alison MT643
Rated Cap: 84
Fish supplies stores sell a light gravel charcoal sometimes for filtration.
Wolfmickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #59
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
How'za'bout peat moss from any garden center? I have heard it works well but no experience with it.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 11:24 AM   #60
Skoolie

Quote:
How'za'bout peat moss from any garden center? I have heard it works well but no experience with it.
That's where I get mine. But each brand is different. The finer and darker it is, the better it seems to work IMO. Some of the sphagnum peat like black gold brand, are course and not as dense, allowing a looser and more open cover.
This is the brand I like best as of now.

The grind of it.

This is my cover mixing station in my garden shed.

This is my cover bucket with my current mixture.

And this is my setup. A small bit of blocking under the homer bucket to get it even with the top of the box. Plus I have storage for tp and compost bags etc.