Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Jeff View Post
I was just going to ask why not run the urine to the grey water tank.
The only thing I can think of is that it could develop a smell that my be a challenge.

I can tell you that the pee jugs do not smell. I don't know how that may change when mixing with your grey water.

I think that I may give it a try and see how it works.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:37 PM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
So I watched the series on composting toilets from Gone With the Winds Youtube channel.

I'm sold if that young lady is okay with it then I'm sure I will. Great series they have on it as well.

Price and style is my question. I don't want to build one and I would like it to be plastic so I can take it out and its weight is low as well as washing I don't want the wood to get stained around its base? I don't want to build one.

I am wondering about if it should have a mixer?
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Jeff View Post
So I watched the series on composting toilets from Gone With the Winds Youtube channel.

I'm sold if that young lady is okay with it then I'm sure I will. Great series they have on it as well.

Price and style is my question. I don't want to build one and I would like it to be plastic so I can take it out and its weight is low as well as washing I don't want the wood to get stained around its base? I don't want to build one.

I am wondering about if it should have a mixer?
I would love to have a mixer on mine. After using it without one I can see the merit.

However.... The mixer would prevent me from using bin liners and that is a trade off that I am not ready to make.

Take a look at C-Head, they have both versions and are more reasonably priced. Website: C-Head portable composting toilet system
Old 11-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlleyCat67 View Post
I guess there wouldn't be any real health reason not to, I mean it's not like poo which can harbor dangerous pathogens.... urine doesn't pose any health hazards... in fact I've heard if you dilute it you can use it as a weed killer. And in a 100 gallon grey tank, a couple of gallons of pee is sort of insignificant... though I suppose you'd probably want to install a larger tank in consideration of the added volume, or add a second smaller tank to an existing system (but not really sure where you would add it so it wouldn't overflow before the main tank fills up)...
From C-Head's FAQ section...
Quote:
And finally, if you are using your C-Head for
weekend forays or week long cruises, you can take the urine home and dilute it half and half with water and pour it in your flower
beds or around your trees as a great fertilizer.
I know when I pee in the bushes.... everything dies!
Old 11-03-2016, 04:24 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
lots of nitrogen in urine, people have been using piss as fertilizer for thousands of years...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I knuckled under and purchased the $1K composting toilet about a year ago. I have NO complaints about it and, despite having no overboard vent connected, I have no offensive odors in my skoolie, unless you count my socks after I take off my shoes.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:35 PM   #37
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
I knuckled under and purchased the $1K composting toilet about a year ago. I have NO complaints about it and, despite having no overboard vent connected, I have no offensive odors in my skoolie, unless you count my socks after I take off my shoes.
Thank you Capn' for joining the discussion. As the first here that has one of the more expensive factory units we would love to hear more about your experiences?
Old 11-03-2016, 09:48 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
I did read some manufactures saying diverting the urine to the grey tank. I really like that C-heah. it churns mixture so your composting properly. I did read that if your not churning it your prepping it to be put into a compost. I do composting myself I can see what they mean. if you don't move the product around it will not ever fully compost. the milk jug replacement is very simple. I don't under stand the c-head turning the handle 20 times seems like a lot? Natures head says 3 times to turn it. Both systems work fine in the reviews.
Having a fan running all the time at .5 amps is not a big deal and the moisture it would remove seems to me would be to much but its not like your trying to compost your garbage and keep works alive. Its all about smell and being easy to haul out in a bag.
What i could not find was i thought the C_head used a bag in the bucket and you just pulled it out but maybe its like the natures head and you must dump the toilet into the bag. I assume if you churn your system the bag wont work.
I'm not ready for it at all so I'll keep reading up on it but c-head so far is #1 on my list just because its a few hundred less than Natures head. Then anything after that I guess i would just build one with ebay kit I saw (maybe).
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:36 AM   #39
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I can see some advantages to the expensive ones. Personally I would not spend $1k for one. I don't think that the added cost is worth the minor advantages.

There are also some downsides to the expensive ones. They are a much more complicated machine. More parts & pieces to fail. If something breaks and you need a part likely it has to come from the manufacturer.

I only have one toilet. If it is broken and cannot be used I have to tell my Lady to potty in the woods. Not something I want to do....

My DIY composter is MUCH simpler can be repaired with parts from Home Depot and Napa auto parts. But really there is not much to break.

One unit that is kind of in the middle is the C-Head. It sells for $500-$600 and is simpler than many of the others. I looked at it and still prefer my dirt simple solution.

Do we have anyone lurking here that has one of the more expensive units? We would love to hear another perspective.
We have recently purchased a Nature's Head unit. The reasons for not going a DIY route on this particular aspect of our second home are two-fold. First, our limited engineering abilities and, second, a perspective similar to the way we should all treat our feet... i.e. shoes are not something we skimp on.

We are still in the midst of our conversion and the unit has yet to be installed, let alone used. So, I will report back in the future with comments regarding its performance but I will say that we are pleased with the spacial efficiency and quality of construction. On that note, it remains to be seen if capacity will become a drawback.

However, to touch on the larger discussion, it seems to me that the decision to go sans black water is a no brainer. Of course, that being said, we tend to like things a little more rustic anyhow. Otherwise, would we still choose to live in a school bus?
rjnye79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:31 AM   #40
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
And...the composting route saves precious potable water from going into a poo tank.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote