Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2016, 06:54 PM   #101
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Q: Why do divorces cost so much?

A: Because they are worth it!
Aint that the truth! And no woman is worth prison time!

mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #102
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezl Smoke View Post
Good deal. Glad you found something that works. But dont be afraid to experiment and mix covers to see if you can improve even more.
Follow up on the latest cover material:

I had a busy stretch. Not feeling well and lots going on. I let my chores get behind and went almost 11 days before emptying my composter. Almost full to the brim and near zero smell!

I am sold on this stuff!!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:26 AM   #103
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post

I had a busy stretch. Not feeling well and lots going on. I let my chores get behind and went almost 11 days before emptying my composter. Almost full to the brim and near zero smell!

I looked at the Nature's Bedding website and I see a 4.5 cubic foot package that they call Pine Mini Flakes. Is that what you're using?

They also have a product called Pine Shavings, which appears to have a finer consistency. But I think the smallest they offer that in is 10 cubic feet.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:07 PM   #104
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post

Awesome, awesome awesome !!!! Glad to hear this. We need to spread the word on other sites too that have people wandering what to use before they give up.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:42 PM   #105
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
I looked at the Nature's Bedding website and I see a 4.5 cubic foot package that they call Pine Mini Flakes. Is that what you're using?

They also have a product called Pine Shavings, which appears to have a finer consistency. But I think the smallest they offer that in is 10 cubic feet.
I bought the 4.5 cu.ft. Mini Flakes. Less than $10 including tax.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 02:23 PM   #106
Bus Nut

I lived free at a little house down in the bottoms for 9 years. Water,lights, but no toilet. I used this very comfortably for 9 years.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/10728124?...&wl13=&veh=sem

Get rid of the bowl underneath and use a 5 gal. bucket lined with a 30 gallon bag and the use kitty litter.Change almost daily. Never had a complaint. Might be a problem a bit for a woman but never had a complaint. I had a big funnel and a 50 ft garden hose through the wall and down hill to a patch of Lilacs worked for me. for me. Womens urine in bucket. Guys! Don't even ask. I lived 500 ft off the road and nearest neighbor was a 1/4 mile. I also used this after 4 operations.

This what i will use in my bus.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #107
Almost There

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 cumnins
Quote:
A urinal is a great plan. But since you wont have a flush with water cycle, you will now have 2 liquid units that can smell badly, especially in hot weather. The toilet with separation has a lid, that though is not air tight, does help.
You can, if you wish, set a spray bottle next to them both and spray down the sides of each after use with a water/vinegar mix or something with a fragrance. Just dont get too carried away with the volume of the spray and end up having to empty the containers more often than you wish.
Man, single or not, for whatever reason gets pretty bull headed about standing to pee. Probable because we can. But there is no shame in sitting down to pee. It is much more friendly to the surrounding walls and fixtures that get splashed with urine when standing. The taller you are, the worse it gets.
ok... so, im gonna go ahead and say that me and my two sons don't want to have to sit to pee every time we are in the bus, and some of this depends on the activity, if we are somewhere cold having to get down to enough layers to fully sit is a pain (sorry ladies) instead of just find the necessary part and cinch up the jacket.
But anyway I really like the urinal idea, at first when someone mentioned routing it to the gray water I was grossed out, but hey... If its sterile and is considered 'gray' water then why not... That got me thinking, some of the stores have those no water urinals, tiny vent looking things that let the urine go down but I guess don't let air up? would one of those work?

Or if not then plumb it... Just a small urinal with a tiny sprits of water when you push the button above it, no problem, then route the urine trap from the composting toilet to the gray tank as well. Kind of the best of both worlds, no black tank, composted number 2 and urine is out of site out of mind. I am at the very beginning stage of my build so the sky is the limit and installing a urinal is sounding better and better.... certainly better than telling guests they have to sit down to pee. And I have 10 and 12 year old boys, getting them to carefully aim in a urinal would be way easier than making them sit to pee.
And as long as the urinal is in a location where your head isn't 6 inches from it for sit down jobs then I think it could work well... thoughts?
Old 12-15-2016, 04:41 PM   #108
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Kind of confused why everybody is talking about having to sit down to pee... I've been using a diy bucket composter for a year and its not that hard to get everything in the bucket while you're standing... Maybe its just me, but I don't piss like an unattended firehose waving all over the place willy-nilly, it all goes where I aim it... Some of you guys are over thinking this whole situation... I don't seperate in mine and I empty it about once a week...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 04:48 PM   #109
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughridge85 View Post
Kind of confused why everybody is talking about having to sit down to pee... I've been using a diy bucket composter for a year and its not that hard to get everything in the bucket while you're standing... Maybe its just me, but I don't piss like an unattended firehose waving all over the place willy-nilly, it all goes where I aim it... Some of you guys are over thinking this whole situation... I don't seperate in mine and I empty it about once a week...
Hahaha. I should have specified, talking about the urine seperation models. Not the all together ones.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 12-15-2016, 05:09 PM   #110
Bus Nut

I had actually planned on adding a divirter to mine, but honestly I've not found a reason to separate liquids and solids if you're just hucking it in the trash when its full...
Old 12-15-2016, 07:21 PM   #111
Skoolie

Quote:
That's not how it works. With a water closet it's the splash of the stream hitting the water that makes the mess, not pee'n like a drunk. Next time you are outside after a rain with dry shoes, pee in a puddle and watch your shoes get splattered. Of course when I was 13 I had enough pressure to reach out far enough to not get splash on the boots, but at 54, those days are just barely memories.
Old 12-15-2016, 07:24 PM   #112
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Bus View Post
ok... so, im gonna go ahead and say that me and my two sons don't want to have to sit to pee every time we are in the bus, and some of this depends on the activity, if we are somewhere cold having to get down to enough layers to fully sit is a pain (sorry ladies) instead of just find the necessary part and cinch up the jacket.
But anyway I really like the urinal idea, at first when someone mentioned routing it to the gray water I was grossed out, but hey... If its sterile and is considered 'gray' water then why not... That got me thinking, some of the stores have those no water urinals, tiny vent looking things that let the urine go down but I guess don't let air up? would one of those work?

Or if not then plumb it... Just a small urinal with a tiny sprits of water when you push the button above it, no problem, then route the urine trap from the composting toilet to the gray tank as well. Kind of the best of both worlds, no black tank, composted number 2 and urine is out of site out of mind. I am at the very beginning stage of my build so the sky is the limit and installing a urinal is sounding better and better.... certainly better than telling guests they have to sit down to pee. And I have 10 and 12 year old boys, getting them to carefully aim in a urinal would be way easier than making them sit to pee.
And as long as the urinal is in a location where your head isn't 6 inches from it for sit down jobs then I think it could work well... thoughts?
I have not seen the device you mention, but if you have the time to try it......? Hey, let us know. You may be onto something. But a regular slide valve at the bottom of your urinal might also work to keep odors down? Only draw back is you have to pull the handle each time you use it, and push the handle back in.
Old 12-15-2016, 08:37 PM   #113
Bus Nut

Quote:
it's the splash of the stream hitting the water that makes the mess
Composter=No water... Just saying I personally haven't had a problem with any kind of splashback...
Old 12-15-2016, 08:54 PM   #114
Skoolie

Quote:
Composter=No water... Just saying I personally haven't had a problem with any kind of splashback...
My mistake. I thought we were comparing a water flush toilet. Sorry.
I guess I thought that because of a previous conversation. But no, absolutely no splash back with the bucket system. It's funny, many women are initially repulsed by the idea until you mention no splash, then it gets an entirely different response.
Old 12-15-2016, 09:05 PM   #115
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Ward?
Engine: 8.2 liter ?
Rated Cap: 24 Passenger
Having cleaned my share of toilets... I don't care how well you shoot, fine droplets of urine go everywhere. It's not much, but it's there and it adds up. The heater register next to the toilet in our home was very rusty from urine splatter. And it soaked into the wood cabinet adjacent. If you've got to stand, I agree with the urinal idea. Get creative. It could be a diagonally cut (and sanded smooth) medium size pvc pipe necked down to 1/2" hose. Or it could be a Wally World long neck funnel (the ones that have a long tapered funnel). Or it could be something entirely off the wall. Many a time have I walked through the toy store looking for something I could adapt to something else. There's a lot of engineering in them there toys!

Or, just make the rule that everyone sits. Or cleans.

My two cents.

Ross
rossfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:13 PM   #116
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Rated Cap: 65 pax
This is what I am using on my bus. I bought 4 gal bags at the grocery store and change it out every day or two. Easy peasy! I use cat litter in mine.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-1uktfK01gS...0/IMG_1939.JPG

Sandi
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:20 PM   #117
Almost There

I think the ones talking of having to sit to pee are only the ones with a urine diverter because it's a much smaller target 🎯 not to avoid splash or misses... Though that's a good idea.
This obviously doesn't apply to the 5 gallon bucket mix it all together crowd.
So with a diverting toilet you have to either sit or be blessed to aim right below you in the very front part of the bowl (if my understanding is correct) to keep it out of the poo 💩 section.
That's why I was thinking urinal.
And they do have some water free ones, actually by that brand and waterless and many others. A quick search on Craigslist shows a few for sale anywhere from 100 to 300 bucks. Not bad. May just have to incorporate that into my design and hook that and the hose from the diverter to the gray tank. Then all I'd ever have to worry about carting out is the compost itself.

Now the hard part... To convince the wife we need a urinal.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2016, 12:44 PM   #118
Bus Nut

I am going to buy one of those urine diverters.
I don't like to carry out that urine weight plus it will smell.

I Always double bag.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:34 PM   #119
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird?
Chassis: 26ft Bluebird TC2000
Engine: Cumming 5.9 12v, AT545
Is it really ok to mix urine into the gray water tank?! Seems to me it would stink worse real quick...
dalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 03:57 PM   #120
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: Navistar 7.6L
DoubleO7 is offline   Reply With Quote