Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2016, 01:11 PM   #81
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabill View Post

Bottom line - almost everyone that travels and uses a composting toilet breaks the law when they dump the remains. Just keep that in mind when you fling your trash bag in a dumpster.

Bus on my friends.
I wouldn't be too concerned about the "legality" of dumping your waste in the trash. 99% of people break the law each and everyday. Unless you always go the speed limit and never 1 mile or more over, and always come to a full stop at stop signs when driving. Right, I didn't think so......lol.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:10 PM   #82
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
I understand how awesome the disposal breaking down bags would be. But wouldn't a nice heavy duty garbage bag be the way to go. NO chance of tearing spilling getting on my toes carrying it out. Seems like the way to get it right in a garbage all twisted up and sealed with out bringing attention to the fact your hauling a month of love inside. Plus your not having to buy a special bag. I'm guessing wally world has five gallon bucket garbage bags or home depot?

This smartJon kinda looks like you might poo on the hose inside there or is it routed on the other side of the bag so it is protected.

I was wondering if any one thought this might work for a stirring device on this five gallon bucket systems. or maybe any of them. Install a inflatable bag or whoopee cushion? I'm not sure of the shape I keep thinking a rod shaped unit that just inflates straight up letting the material fall down around its sides then de-inflating having it let the material on the sides fall back in the center some how doing some mixing. I though maybe at first a small tube from those HF wheels you buy for carts. I think there about the same size as a bucket bottom. But I think it would have to be attached so it was vertical when inflated. Which could be easily done.

The reason I say air operated is that you could use the bus air to run it. thread on to the valve stem seal and set a pressure regulator at 5lbs or so. Wont take much to blow it up with no load or tire. Maybe even just cut the tube and reseal it so its more of a wand trying to stand up.

I think ideally you would do your business and turn on the air valve and it would come right to life and then turn it off. have the system have built in leak on the pressure line so when you turn the valve off it simply deflates and waits for the next cycle. no bags tearing easy to clean taken outside and washed with a hose when needed.

Or maybe its just not needed. Not having one yet and seeing the expensive units having them crank handles. but i hear every one saying no odor? I was just thinking of the post here that said gloves and paddle.

A cone shape might be better use pond liner and make your own shape?
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:14 PM   #83
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Jeff View Post
I understand how awesome the disposal breaking down bags would be. But wouldn't a nice heavy duty garbage bag be the way to go. NO chance of tearing spilling getting on my toes carrying it out. Seems like the way to get it right in a garbage all twisted up and sealed with out bringing attention to the fact your hauling a month of love inside. Plus your not having to buy a special bag. I'm guessing wally world has five gallon bucket garbage bags or home depot?

This smartJon kinda looks like you might poo on the hose inside there or is it routed on the other side of the bag so it is protected.

I was wondering if any one thought this might work for a stirring device on this five gallon bucket systems. or maybe any of them. Install a inflatable bag or whoopee cushion? I'm not sure of the shape I keep thinking a rod shaped unit that just inflates straight up letting the material fall down around its sides then de-inflating having it let the material on the sides fall back in the center some how doing some mixing. I though maybe at first a small tube from those HF wheels you buy for carts. I think there about the same size as a bucket bottom. But I think it would have to be attached so it was vertical when inflated. Which could be easily done.

The reason I say air operated is that you could use the bus air to run it. thread on to the valve stem seal and set a pressure regulator at 5lbs or so. Wont take much to blow it up with no load or tire. Maybe even just cut the tube and reseal it so its more of a wand trying to stand up.

I think ideally you would do your business and turn on the air valve and it would come right to life and then turn it off. have the system have built in leak on the pressure line so when you turn the valve off it simply deflates and waits for the next cycle. no bags tearing easy to clean taken outside and washed with a hose when needed.

Or maybe its just not needed. Not having one yet and seeing the expensive units having them crank handles. but i hear every one saying no odor? I was just thinking of the post here that said gloves and paddle.

A cone shape might be better use pond liner and make your own shape?
Here is a youtuber . He and his wife have a very extensive video library of their container house off grid journey over the past several years. The link I hooked to his name above, goes to their first compost toilet. It is a really great video, I think you'll like how Paul presents things.

After some use, they decided that the manufactured toilet was not working so well. They then decided to just give the ol' basic bucket loo a try and that is what they still use. I cant find the video where they talked in detail about the issues with the Sunmar, but here is a video that you can see . You should be able to contact Paul if you so desire and see how they are getting along with the bucket after several years.

It can be tough to grasp the details of using a compost system until you actually give it a try. Loads of mis information out there about the odors and how it only takes a small bit of sawdust etc. I tell you, if you do not have enough money to make your poop not stink, you will need to experiment and find the cover mix and volume that works for you. It's not rocket science as they say, but real experience is your best teacher.

As Paul says in the first video, after a week or so of use, using a compost toilet is just nature. Given the choice, I'll not go back to a water flush system any time soon. And women, it can be funny to hear their views. Most women are really put off about such a system....at first. Then you talk about no splash back and they are all about giving it a go.

To address your concern about the compost bags/liners. How I do it, and this is in no way to be considered advice or otherwise the way to do it. But I use composting bags bought at Krogers in the grocery section. I use the 13 gallon size as they do not make a true 5 gallon unless you pay the money for liners from bucket loo manufactures. I use the wire ties that come with other garbage bags to close off the top when servicing the loo. I leave the bag in the bucket until I get to the barrel that I compost in. Then I simply dump the bucket upside down and the whole bag falls out and into the barrel. Sometimes if it took a day or two longer between servicing, there will be a small bit of liquid in the bucket that the bag let seep.
Each time I empty the bucket, I then have a 2.5gallon container of a water/pinesol mix that I splash a pint or so into the loo bucket and shake and swirl it around real well, then dump in the area of the barrel. I then tip the bucket upside down over a pvc bucket stand I made. The bucket drips dry and in summer, air dries. In winter I take it into my garden shed to completely dry. I have a stack of buckets so a fresh dry one is always available. Install bag and put back into my enclosure along with a full bucket of cover mix next to it.

In that way, you do not have to pull the compost bag out of the bucket and risk it tearing along the route to the can.

IMO.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:10 PM   #84
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
I wouldn't be too concerned about the "legality" of dumping your waste in the trash. 99% of people break the law each and everyday. Unless you always go the speed limit and never 1 mile or more over, and always come to a full stop at stop signs when driving. Right, I didn't think so......lol.

I thought the speed signs were recommended. I barely use a turn signal. I'm half way to making a bottom on the toilet that opens at freeway speed. They will never take me alive.
Officer I'm glad you pulled me over I can see your fresh out of BS and I have bag of it here for you.
Old 11-19-2016, 08:50 AM   #85
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Quote:
... I can see you're fresh out of BS and I have bag of it here for you.
Well, you could save it for the next campaign season...
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 11:52 AM   #86
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Regarding the legal aspect of throwing waste in a dumpster.

I have spent a few hours looking for a definitive answer and failed.

Numerous sites giving advice on proper disposal give clear direction to dispose of human waste in your regular garbage.

One "talk to a lawyer" site addressed the question and gave the same advice.

I have seen mention of a Federal law prohibiting this and a response that the law does not prohibit it. The law requires that it be packaged in a way to protect the folks that handle it later from direct contact with waste material.

In my tiny little brain it is still an unanswered question. When I go on the road I will likely carry 4-5 buckets with Gama Seal lids. That way, if needed, I can be on the road for a month or more without worry. I will probably store them on the roof rack.

I am all for the exercise of common sense and obeying laws that are based upon some bit of common sense. I fail to see the harm in placing a closed trash bag/liner with sawdust & feces in the same dumpster that mom is throwing dirty diapers into.

Just my $0.02 worth.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:29 PM   #87
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Regarding the legal aspect of throwing waste in a dumpster.

I have spent a few hours looking for a definitive answer and failed.

Numerous sites giving advice on proper disposal give clear direction to dispose of human waste in your regular garbage.

One "talk to a lawyer" site addressed the question and gave the same advice.

I have seen mention of a Federal law prohibiting this and a response that the law does not prohibit it. The law requires that it be packaged in a way to protect the folks that handle it later from direct contact with waste material.

In my tiny little brain it is still an unanswered question. When I go on the road I will likely carry 4-5 buckets with Gama Seal lids. That way, if needed, I can be on the road for a month or more without worry. I will probably store them on the roof rack.

I am all for the exercise of common sense and obeying laws that are based upon some bit of common sense. I fail to see the harm in placing a closed trash bag/liner with sawdust & feces in the same dumpster that mom is throwing dirty diapers into.

Just my $0.02 worth.
That's exactly right. Baby diapers, adult diapers, dog poop, cat poop, and list goes on. All ok to dispose of in the land fill. Basically, those are all what I would call "macro" issues that are so common they get addressed and a few laws regarding the disposal are passed. "Composting toilets" seem to be gaining acceptance with a larger audience, but are still a "micro" issue and not enough of it going on yet to be addressed and laws constructed. IMO.
Old 11-19-2016, 01:06 PM   #88
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
This question has probably been covered but im asking anyway. What about TP? Is there a special kind that decomposes along with da poo? If so is it 1 ply sandpaper ?
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:13 PM   #89
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
This question has probably been covered but im asking anyway. What about TP? Is there a special kind that decomposes along with da poo? If so is it 1 ply sandpaper ?
No need to use special t-paper. Any normal paper will decompose readily.

You can squeeze your Charmin all you want...
Old 11-19-2016, 02:31 PM   #90
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Shuttle Bus
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: Ford 460/7.5l
Rated Cap: 15
If the Federal Government is saying DON'T do it than EVERYBODY must be DOING it.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:59 PM   #91
Bus Nut

Quote:
No need to use special t-paper. Any normal paper will decompose readily.

You can squeeze your Charmin all you want...
Im prior military and ive used the worst TP. Even the one out of MREs. But its a proven fact that if mama aint happy, no one is.
Old 11-20-2016, 02:50 AM   #92
Bus Nut

If you can throw a diaper away you can throw your bag away. I could give rats ass about what the feds say. Come to think of it I don't a rip about local authority at all either. I would love to see them save it for trial as evidence.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:03 AM   #93
Skoolie

Quote:
If you can throw a diaper away you can throw your bag away. I could give rats ass about what the feds say. Come to think of it I don't a rip about local authority at all either. I would love to see them save it for trial as evidence.
Please dont temp them. Be just my luck, I'll get called for jury duty that day.
Old 11-22-2016, 08:57 PM   #94
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Im prior military and ive used the worst TP. Even the one out of MREs. But its a proven fact that if mama aint happy, no one is.
I remember Basic Training , felt like I was wiping with 80 grit sandpaper, first payday we all kicked in & bought toilet paper.

Oh & my rule is if momma ain't happy get new momma
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 11:05 PM   #95
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
I remember Basic Training , felt like I was wiping with 80 grit sandpaper, first payday we all kicked in & bought toilet paper.

I don't know about that.....

I remember the processes of uninstalling Wife version 1.0 making way for the upgrade to Wife version 2.0. It was lengthy, painful and expensive.

Wife 3.0 aint gonna happen...

I will wipe with 80 to "keep momma happy". She is worth it...

Funny to joke about but truth be known, I am blessed with an awesome Lady. I thank God every day for putting her in my life.

S.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:16 PM   #96
Bus Geek

Regarding cover material:

I tried Coco and it did not suit me. I moved to sawdust from a cabinet shop. It worked much better for me. The one negative was a certain odor that I recognized from my days working in a cabinet shop as the smell from the glue/binder used in MDF.

I was running low and the local cabinet shop was closed so I stopped at the local Coop and asked about what they had available. I decided to try out "Natures Bedding Small Pine".

This stuff is the BOMB!

No glue smell. It has a sweet woody smell and covers better than any other material I have tried.

I bought a 4.2 cu.ft. package for $9.67 including tax. That will be a 4-6 month supply.

Free is good but with the difference in performance I will spend $2 a month for store bought cover material.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:28 PM   #97
Skoolie

Quote:
Regarding cover material:

I tried Coco and it did not suit me. I moved to sawdust from a cabinet shop. It worked much better for me. The one negative was a certain odor that I recognized from my days working in a cabinet shop as the smell from the glue/binder used in MDF.

I was running low and the local cabinet shop was closed so I stopped at the local Coop and asked about what they had available. I decided to try out "Natures Bedding Small Pine".

This stuff is the BOMB!

No glue smell. It has a sweet woody smell and covers better than any other material I have tried.

I bought a 4.2 cu.ft. package for $9.67 including tax. That will be a 4-6 month supply.

Free is good but with the difference in performance I will spend $2 a month for store bought cover material.
Good deal. Glad you found something that works. But dont be afraid to experiment and mix covers to see if you can improve even more.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:40 AM   #98
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post

Momma #1 costs me alot of $ and time to get rid of. Momma #2 cost me even more to get rid of plus jail time ( didnt know it was illegal to take my truck) so....momma #3 aint getting a ring . Lol
Old 11-23-2016, 09:55 AM   #99
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Q: Why do divorces cost so much?

A: Because they are worth it!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:45 AM   #100
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Momma #1 costs me alot of $ and time to get rid of. Momma #2 cost me even more to get rid of plus jail time ( didnt know it was illegal to take my truck) so....momma #3 aint getting a ring . Lol
Same here except no jail time with #2 but prison was in the future If I didn't rotate her out, #3 been with her 12 yrs now, maybe third time is a charm.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote