Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2016, 04:17 PM   #121
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalez View Post
Is it really ok to mix urine into the gray water tank?! Seems to me it would stink worse real quick...
Supposed to be a ok thing. A scent or two will stop any odor.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:19 PM   #122
Almost There

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 cumnins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Supposed to be a ok thing. A scent or two will stop any odor.
I was pretty skeptical of this at first but I think the ratio of urine to regular water would be pretty low, from all the dish washing and dumping things down the sink.... And let's be honest... We've all peed in the shower before.... Right?...right?... Guys?..

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 12-16-2016, 06:29 PM   #123
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Pee in the gray water and you need to dump it as black water so you might as well have a black tank.

Don't get caught dumping it anywhere else.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:34 PM   #124
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Pee in the gray water and you need to dump it as black water so you might as well have a black tank.

I'm hearing conflicting information on that. I've heard several say that urine alone, no poo, is considered gray water. It is sterile after all... Not sure where one would even research that.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:37 PM   #125
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Urine is sterile when it leaves your body, after that not so much. So if ya get some pee in the poop part of the composting toilet can't ya just throw some more of the coconut sawdust stuff in to soak it up?

*"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can.” *
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:42 PM   #126
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
Urine is sterile when it leaves your body, after that not so much. So if ya get some pee in the poop part of the composting toilet can't ya just throw some more of the coconut sawdust stuff in to soak it up?

*"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can.” *
Ya for sure. I don't see why it would be a huge deal if you got some in the compartment made for poop. But u also don't really see a big deal in routing just the urine section to the gray tank. Just a few Google searches and it looks like urine is considered gray water. It's not sewage until it mixes with feces. Then it's a problem.
But still... I have a 10 yr old and 12 yr old without a urinal I can forsee problems if i tell them they have to hit that front 3 inches of the bowl. I see that getting all over the floor. So far I'm leaning towards composting toilet with urine separator running to gray tank and urinal running to gray tank. Won't have to go dump gallons of pee and only take out the compost. That's pending more research on the pee into gray water issue.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:52 PM   #127
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventure Bus View Post
I was pretty skeptical of this at first but I think the ratio of urine to regular water would be pretty low, from all the dish washing and dumping things down the sink.... And let's be honest... We've all peed in the shower before.... Right?...right?... Guys?..

Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:11 PM   #128
Skoolie

Tango:

I don't agree, everything I have researched says that in the grey is A-OK. As pointed out, you pee in the shower, right? You pee on a tree while out hiking or fishing, right? Never peed in a lake while out for a swim?
Urine is not an issue, and anyway, if you have a grey tank, you're going to be at a dump station to dump it anyway. Or, if you want you can dump it on your own property to water the lawn, garden. If you are out in the woods, its not always ok to dump the grey anyway. So, in the end, I see no issues.
Oldmopars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:13 AM   #129
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Sorry guys..."Sterile" urine is a fallacy.

Turns Out Urine Isn’t Actually Sterile | Smart News | Smithsonian

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine

https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/gor...ither-rest-you

Confirmed: Urine Is Not Sterile
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:16 AM   #130
Almost There

Dish water probably isn't sterile either. But is it considered gray water that's the question. And I believe it is. Especially mixed with shower water, dish water and all that. I'd imagine we are talking one part per 100 in your gray tank. Not even noticeable.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:27 AM   #131
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
It may not be sterile but it also doesn't have all the disease-causing bacteria and such that poo has (think E.coli and other such bad apples). Thus it would be safe to dispose of in grey water. The poo is what makes the black tank black. I'd rather deal with the bag of poo than a malfunctioning black tank system.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:52 AM   #132
Skoolie

Quote:
Dish water probably isn't sterile either. But is it considered gray water that's the question. And I believe it is. Especially mixed with shower water, dish water and all that. I'd imagine we are talking one part per 100 in your gray tank. Not even noticeable.

Yes. So where would the clothes washing machine drain to? The grey tank. So what would go into the grey tank if you were full time and have a baby that you use cloth, washable diapers on?
Old 12-17-2016, 07:11 AM   #133
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Ward?
Engine: 8.2 liter ?
Rated Cap: 24 Passenger
Threads do have the tendency of wandering off subject.

If you are worried and choose to route your urine to a black water tank or treat it as hazardous, fine.

If you choose to collect it in a plastic bottle and then flush it down the campsite toilet. Fine.

If you desire to save the planet and conserve our precious fresh water by using a composting toilet. Fine.

The benefits of a composting toilet on a skoolie are several:

1) Little to no use of stored fresh water (no flushing required). If you connect to shore water all the time this benefit is moot.

2) No black water tank. None to mount. None to dump. No line. No fee. No searching. No disgusting hoses to handle and store. No leaking valves to replace. And... someone chime in... it can free up camp sites that restrict vehicles with black water tanks, or so I've heard.

3) Little to no smell (or manageable smell). Properly working compost can smell like fresh dirt. Commercial composting toilets have small vents intended for venting odors and excess humidity.

4) If urine is routed to a grey water tank that most skoolies still require, then it may be dumped as grey water until someone says otherwise. Common sense on where you dump grey water prevales. It's mostly water with a little soap, some food partials and a little urine. This is no more dangerous than washing your car, tossing a sandwich and peeing behind a tree. Still, some may say the aforementioned is dangerous and polluting. Let your conscience be your guide.

The drawbacks of a composting toilet:

1) Handling. If you're queasy about handling poo in any way, this may not be for you. Generally, if the urine is separated the compost will be less offensive, less smelly and less weight. If urine is collected in a side container then that container must also be handled and dumping urine is not without odor. Side containers must be dumped more often and neglect can lead to spills or overflowing. Not fun.

2) Composting material is required. How much depends largely on usage, urine diversion or not, media, time of year, alignment of the planets, etc. Most of us purchase the media such as peat moss, coconut coir or cat litter. Some of us have a source of sawdust and wood chips. Secret formulas abound. Oooooooo! The point is you'll need to carry some with you and make it available for use. That can be a downside when space is at a premium.

3) Not pretty to look at, or, the whole idea of sitting above someone else's business... The commercial varieties can be a little less offensive to look at but, you know. YOU KNOW!!! (sorry, had to put that in there. LOL) Be it a five gallon bucket or a bench seat, it's different, and most of don't really like different at first. We have to try it a few times. And if we don't die, we give time for our opinions to change.

4) If the composting toilet has a urine diverter then standing to pee is out. (Did I hear some women cheering?) If you just HAVE to stand on occasion then you may need to re-think your life. Or add a urinal. Or an rv toilet and a black water tank.

I'm sure I've left stuff out but I think that sums it up.

Regards!

Ross

3)
rossfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:23 AM   #134
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfree View Post

If you are worried and choose to route your urine to a black water tank or treat it as hazardous, fine.

If you choose to collect it in a plastic bottle and then flush it down the campsite toilet. Fine.

If you desire to save the planet and conserve our precious fresh water by using a composting toilet. Fine.

1) Little to no use of stored fresh water (no flushing required). If you connect to shore water all the time this benefit is moot.

2) No black water tank. None to mount. None to dump. No line. No fee. No searching. No disgusting hoses to handle and store. No leaking valves to replace. And... someone chime in... it can free up camp sites that restrict vehicles with black water tanks, or so I've heard.

3) Little to no smell (or manageable smell). Properly working compost can smell like fresh dirt. Commercial composting toilets have small vents intended for venting odors and excess humidity.

4) If urine is routed to a grey water tank that most skoolies still require, then it may be dumped as grey water until someone says otherwise. Common sense on where you dump grey water prevales. It's mostly water with a little soap, some food partials and a little urine. This is no more dangerous than washing your car, tossing a sandwich and peeing behind a tree. Still, some may say the aforementioned is dangerous and polluting. Let your conscience be your guide.

1) Handling. If you're queasy about handling poo in any way, this may not be for you. Generally, if the urine is separated the compost will be less offensive, less smelly and less weight. If urine is collected in a side container then that container must also be handled and dumping urine is not without odor. Side containers must be dumped more often and neglect can lead to spills or overflowing. Not fun.

2) Composting material is required. How much depends largely on usage, urine diversion or not, media, time of year, alignment of the planets, etc. Most of us purchase the media such as peat moss, coconut coir or cat litter. Some of us have a source of sawdust and wood chips. Secret formulas abound. Oooooooo! The point is you'll need to carry some with you and make it available for use. That can be a downside when space is at a premium.

3) Not pretty to look at, or, the whole idea of sitting above someone else's business... The commercial varieties can be a little less offensive to look at but, you know. YOU KNOW!!! (sorry, had to put that in there. LOL) Be it a five gallon bucket or a bench seat, it's different, and most of don't really like different at first. We have to try it a few times. And if we don't die, we give time for our opinions to change.

4) If the composting toilet has a urine diverter then standing to pee is out. (Did I hear some women cheering?) If you just HAVE to stand on occasion then you may need to re-think your life. Or add a urinal. Or an rv toilet and a black water tank.

Regards!

Ross

3)
Great post! Very well put.

I will say that, regarding #1, I saw, touched and wore more poo dealing with my black tank than I do with my composter.

My weekly waste removal chore is sooo much simpler and more pleasant with the composter than with the black tank.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:14 AM   #135
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Great post! Very well put.

I will say that, regarding #1, I saw, touched and wore more poo dealing with my black tank than I do with my composter.

My weekly waste removal chore is sooo much simpler and more pleasant with the composter than with the black tank.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:16 AM   #136
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfree View Post

Regards!

Ross

3)
Reply of the year.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:41 AM   #137
Bus Nut

Why not dump something down the drain that will take care of the bad stuff.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:50 AM   #138
Almost There

Bravo Ross, bravo. I think I'm sold on a composting toilet.
I'll either buy a nice one or make one that has all the bells and whistles. And if my plan allows im gonna put a urinal in. We'll see how tight things get.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:44 AM   #139
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:

Just my 2c, I heard quite a few time after a major disaster like earthquakes where people have been buried for days under rubble that the people survived by drinking their own urine.Also I know it goes thru some process but astronauts consume their urine also. Now I'm not suggesting you collect & drink it.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 11:47 AM   #140
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
Just my 2c, I heard quite a few time after a major disaster like earthquakes where people have been buried for days under rubble that the people survived by drinking their own urine.Also I know it goes thru some process but astronauts consume their urine also. Now I'm not suggesting you collect & drink it.
Haha. Ya. I don't think anyone (at least not anyone in their right mind) is talking of having the urine diverted back to the fresh water tank [emoji38].