Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2017, 10:30 PM   #181
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Tripple stampsies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
1olfart... love your "dropbox" name!

I'm sure once she gets use to it, it'll be fine. It took me a couple of weeks to wrap my mind around it and now it's like part of my life.

Now to build a box!

Sandi

I second the drop box!

And same here; after a few weeks i was used to it and even loom forward to using it.
Soooo glad i didnt buy one. Also, yes a nice toilet seat changes the game from adequate to delightful.

Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #182
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakn View Post
All great info. But for myself I still like my tanks. 40 gallon black and 40 gallon gray. Draining is not messy if you do it right. My wife and I can go over 2 weeks between dumping the tanks.
I pull up to sanistation, attach the drain hose, pull the black tank and drain. When that is done, I pull the gray tank, this flushes out the hose. When done properly there is no smell and the outside of the hose doesn't even get wet.
Of course while all of this is going on I am refilling my fresh tanks.
My wife is dumping all the garbage in the bins.
It really is a painless process and relatively clean when done right.
Just my 2cents
Most certainly. You seem to have the knowledge of how to properly use and maintain a black water system. I for one am certainly not in any way telling you that you are wrong for choosing and using such a system.

Now think of all the people that do not know how to properly empty and maintain their black water system. It has nothing to do with the owners manual or the sales staff teaching them, it is just that they do not possess the ability to understand the "how" the black water system works and the importance of following procedure when dumping.
They give rvers a black eye every time they use the dump stations.

Same can be said for the referred to "composting toilet". Many people do not understand or possess the ability to comprehend how such a system can work. They buy into it for what ever reason and fail to take the time to learn the procedures of dumping and cleaning. They give rvers and other users of the system a black eye.

I the end there are many systems that are viable. Where problems arise in discussing or comparing the many systems, is that so many people are not confident enough to acknowledge that other systems are just as viable as their own choice. Arguments and insults ensue and eventually no one wins.

Using your very own description of how you dump your black and grey tanks, I can relate to how simple my composting system is. I have a system down that is highly efficient, quick and easy, and clean, just as you do with the black tank system. The main difference is that where you have to maintain a water supply system to your toilet and maintain your toilet seals and black tank as well as keep them from freezing etc., I dont have any of that. Instead I have to maintain a compost bin and cover material supply, where you do not. Our choices work for us. Your black tank system works well for you. My compost system works well for me. They're both viable. I am more at ease and comfortable maintaining a compost bin than a black tank system. My chosen system is not better, it is just no worse either.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:51 PM   #183
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Dry toilet is a much better way of putting it.
I just think its silly to keep the "composting" part in the conversation as its just a fairy tale.
Agreed!
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:54 PM   #184
Bus Crazy

Quote:
All great info. But for myself I still like my tanks. 40 gallon black and 40 gallon gray. Draining is not messy if you do it right. My wife and I can go over 2 weeks between dumping the tanks.
I pull up to sanistation, attach the drain hose, pull the black tank and drain. When that is done, I pull the gray tank, this flushes out the hose. When done properly there is no smell and the outside of the hose doesn't even get wet.
Just my 2cents
That would work if you only are on the road. I'll be parked until September, living and working off the bus (with the exception of the Florida/East Coast get together). It would be a pain in the butt to pack up all this stuff just to go find a place to dump it.

Sandi
Old 01-07-2017, 03:49 AM   #185
Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 72
Definitely different if you are parked in one spot for long periods. If I was on my own land for long periods I would just build an out house close by that I could dump into without moving.
I can certainly see the convenience of throwing a bag in the dumpster though.
It boils down to whatever you are comfortable with.
No matter which system you use, you still need to top up your fresh water.
For myself, I have to dump the gray tank anyways. ( I'm not comfortable dumping the gray on the ground, it can be pretty gross and smelly, and I worry about my pets walking through it or trying to drink it..bleh)
Old 01-07-2017, 03:54 AM   #186
Skoolie

Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
The key is to be careful and sanitary. That and the fact that you are living in a bus...how cool is that
Old 01-07-2017, 06:14 AM   #187
Skoolie

Quote:
the key is to be careful and sanitary. That and the fact that you are living in a bus...how cool is that
like !!....
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #188
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Just my 2cents
When I spent 2-3 weeks a year in my RV I felt the same way.

When I went full time my perspective evolved...
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 10:58 AM   #189
Bus Crazy

Quote:
The key is to be careful and sanitary. That and the fact that you are living in a bus...how cool is that
The coolest thing ever!
Last night it got down to 48 here in so. Florida. I was really worried about how cold I'd be, but my space heater, two chihuahuas and my Maine coon cat kept me warm

Loving my Bus Life!

Sandi
Old 01-08-2017, 11:34 AM   #190
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
The coolest thing ever!
Last night it got down to 48 here in so. Florida.
Down to 36 here, used my Mr Heater Buddy for the first time! Tough to keep warm without any insulation! The cat slept under the blankets with us even.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:45 PM   #191
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Down to 36 here, used my Mr Heater Buddy for the first time! Tough to keep warm without any insulation! The cat slept under the blankets with us even.
I just googled Mr. Heater Buddy... he looks WAY warmer than mine! Mine is electric.

Sandi
Old 01-16-2017, 09:17 AM   #192
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olfart View Post
The term "Drop Box" come to mind. Walnut Grove seems somewhat fitting too.
[emoji23]

Sent from my VS930 4G using Tapatalk
rjnye79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:27 AM   #193
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I think the ORIGINAL composting toilets that i remember were made for cabins.. they were large and had a chimney style vent.. and were permanently installed.. their design was to be l;arge enough that you cleaned them out from the bottom where you would have actual compost.. you pulled out only until it was no longer compost.. since they were flow-through cented the smell was nill.. the concept i suppose is similar for a camper but the timeframe till they are full or stink isnt anywhere close to composting time..

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 10:56 AM   #194
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I think the ORIGINAL composting toilets that i remember were made for cabins.. they were large and had a chimney style vent.. and were permanently installed.. their design was to be l;arge enough that you cleaned them out from the bottom where you would have actual compost.. you pulled out only until it was no longer compost.. since they were flow-through cented the smell was nill.. the concept i suppose is similar for a camper but the timeframe till they are full or stink isnt anywhere close to composting time..

-Christopher
That makes sense.

I think the folk calling them "composting" today do it with the idea that the contents of the toilet will be periodically transferred to a composting pile to finish. The general consensus is that you need at least a year and most use this compost only on ornamental plants.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:20 PM   #195
Mini-Skoolie

I appreciate the comparison between the systems from someone with experience...thanks
Gonce4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:27 PM   #196
Mini-Skoolie

Chemicals...ugh
Old 02-16-2017, 07:38 PM   #197
Mini-Skoolie

that is freakin beautiful!... a throne to behold
Old 03-04-2017, 04:45 PM   #198
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfree View Post
Having cleaned my share of toilets... I don't care how well you shoot, fine droplets of urine go everywhere. It's not much, but it's there and it adds up. The heater register next to the toilet in our home was very rusty from urine splatter. And it soaked into the wood cabinet adjacent. If you've got to stand, I agree with the urinal idea. Get creative. It could be a diagonally cut (and sanded smooth) medium size pvc pipe necked down to 1/2" hose. Or it could be a Wally World long neck funnel (the ones that have a long tapered funnel). Or it could be something entirely off the wall. Many a time have I walked through the toy store looking for something I could adapt to something else. There's a lot of engineering in them there toys!

Or, just make the rule that everyone sits. Or cleans.

My two cents.

Ross
Like a plastic baseball bat, just cut both ends off. In my case i'd have to use one of those large-diameter wiffle ball bats..LoL

What about a roto molded chair, just cut a hole in the top and attach a toilet seat/ lid. Hole in the back rest for vent pipe, so many options. Even a lounge pooper
davisdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:18 PM   #199
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfree View Post
Threads do have the tendency of wandering off subject.

If you are worried and choose to route your urine to a black water tank or treat it as hazardous, fine.

If you choose to collect it in a plastic bottle and then flush it down the campsite toilet. Fine.

If you desire to save the planet and conserve our precious fresh water by using a composting toilet. Fine.

The benefits of a composting toilet on a skoolie are several:

1) Little to no use of stored fresh water (no flushing required). If you connect to shore water all the time this benefit is moot.

2) No black water tank. None to mount. None to dump. No line. No fee. No searching. No disgusting hoses to handle and store. No leaking valves to replace. And... someone chime in... it can free up camp sites that restrict vehicles with black water tanks, or so I've heard.

3) Little to no smell (or manageable smell). Properly working compost can smell like fresh dirt. Commercial composting toilets have small vents intended for venting odors and excess humidity.

4) If urine is routed to a grey water tank that most skoolies still require, then it may be dumped as grey water until someone says otherwise. Common sense on where you dump grey water prevales. It's mostly water with a little soap, some food partials and a little urine. This is no more dangerous than washing your car, tossing a sandwich and peeing behind a tree. Still, some may say the aforementioned is dangerous and polluting. Let your conscience be your guide.

The drawbacks of a composting toilet:

1) Handling. If you're queasy about handling poo in any way, this may not be for you. Generally, if the urine is separated the compost will be less offensive, less smelly and less weight. If urine is collected in a side container then that container must also be handled and dumping urine is not without odor. Side containers must be dumped more often and neglect can lead to spills or overflowing. Not fun.

2) Composting material is required. How much depends largely on usage, urine diversion or not, media, time of year, alignment of the planets, etc. Most of us purchase the media such as peat moss, coconut coir or cat litter. Some of us have a source of sawdust and wood chips. Secret formulas abound. Oooooooo! The point is you'll need to carry some with you and make it available for use. That can be a downside when space is at a premium.

3) Not pretty to look at, or, the whole idea of sitting above someone else's business... The commercial varieties can be a little less offensive to look at but, you know. YOU KNOW!!! (sorry, had to put that in there. LOL) Be it a five gallon bucket or a bench seat, it's different, and most of don't really like different at first. We have to try it a few times. And if we don't die, we give time for our opinions to change.

4) If the composting toilet has a urine diverter then standing to pee is out. (Did I hear some women cheering?) If you just HAVE to stand on occasion then you may need to re-think your life. Or add a urinal. Or an rv toilet and a black water tank.

I'm sure I've left stuff out but I think that sums it up.

Regards!

Ross

3)
You should also add that using black water drastically increases your chance of contracting Hepatitis A. All it takes is a tiny dot splashed on your lip, nostril, hangnail or open wound.
Old 03-04-2017, 06:44 PM   #200
Mini-Skoolie

I haven't seen anyone mention using ash from their fireplace to sprinkle on the duce, Seems like it would work well or did i just invent huma-crete ?

Wondering if you had a large composting system that was under the bus and insulated with a stainless steel tubing coil on the bottom so as to pre-heat your hot water. I've read teps can reach 130F during the process.
Also wondering if compost was fully dried could it be used as fuel to heat your rocket stove? I know you can extract methane. So many options with this precious substance that we are just flushing down the toilet, literally... lol

Here is a wonderful us for it as well, Wash that stake down with some asparagus flavored urine and you got a 4 star meal.