Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2017, 04:04 PM   #221
Almost There

To each his own! Whatever works for you. I am a mobile generator tech. You can't always find a place to go. Most of us in the company use a 5 gallon bucket with a tight fitting lid. A lot of the other guys live in apartments or live in town and do not have a compost pile. I do have serveral large compost bins and it works out really good.

superduty_59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 12:55 PM   #222
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
This thread has truly lost the plot.

LMAO... truth. It's all gone to ****!! [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 03:23 PM   #223
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by warewolff View Post
Back to helpful comments, I ended up with a composting toilet. Just because the whole concept of my rig is to be completely self sufficient (minus diesel) and off-grid. I bought the Nature's Head model. It was expensive but it is really nice. I did mod it slightly, however, in upgrading the 12v fan. The original one pulled .07 amps and my new one, slightly larger in size, pulls .15 I think. Both values are negligible to me with an 10kWh battery backup. The new fan seems to push a LOT more air. I wasn't having any problems with back draft but it seemed like the original was weak. I ran the exhaust out the side with a mushroom vent and added no-see-um mesh on both the intake and exhaust so I don't end up with any bugs inside. I'll update after a few more months of use, but happy I pulled the trigger on that.
I've never seen it but I'm guessing that no-see-um mesh is really fine-grained stuff. That would translate to more difficulty pushing/pulling air through. If the fan supplied was marginal/barely adequate for the job before the vent screen mod, that might be the kicker right there.

Just an observation; I would have/probably will do the same thing.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:38 AM   #224
Mini-Skoolie

I am in the process of building out my bucket system and have a question for people who drain the urine into grey tanks. Do you have a traditional trap plumbed in (with which I would like you'd just have urine chilling out in your pipe all the time)? Someone suggested a waterless urinal valve for it, but those are replacement cartridges for commercial urinals and run $40 a pop. I've been looking for a simpler check valve, but I'm not sure pee will have enough Psi to open it reliably. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Colin
czoesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:35 AM   #225
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by czoesq View Post
I am in the process of building out my bucket system and have a question for people who drain the urine into grey tanks. Do you have a traditional trap plumbed in (with which I would like you'd just have urine chilling out in your pipe all the time)? Someone suggested a waterless urinal valve for it, but those are replacement cartridges for commercial urinals and run $40 a pop. I've been looking for a simpler check valve, but I'm not sure pee will have enough Psi to open it reliably. Suggestions?

Thanks!
Colin

Put the trap in it, but T the drain from your sink in before the trap (with another trap on the sink drain before you get to the urine pipe, of course.)

Then just wash your hands after you're done, and it'll purge the urine from the trap and leave it full of water from your sink.
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:19 AM   #226
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
I don't use a grey tank, just a jug. I just used a piece of rubber hose, pour a little vinegar and water down it now and then and it is fine.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2017, 08:49 PM   #227
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
Put the trap in it, but T the drain from your sink in before the trap (with another trap on the sink drain before you get to the urine pipe, of course.)

Then just wash your hands after you're done, and it'll purge the urine from the trap and leave it full of water from your sink.
Well gosh, that makes plenty of sense. My ignorance comes through every time I post here, thanks for the great advice though!
czoesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:21 AM   #228
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Update:

After a year of full time use I am convinced that this is the best solution for dealing with black waste when a permanent sewer connection is not practical. Less smell than the conventional RV toilet and MUCH easier to deal with the waste. Not as "hands off" as a regular home flush toilet but the best solution I have seen in nearly 10 years of living full time in an RV.

With mixed feelings about it, we have moved from our sanctuary in the woods. We are now in a house in town (yuk) with all the amenities that go with it.

I did not leave my composter behind though. I reinstalled the RV toilet in the 5th wheel and brought my composter with me. It is going in my bus.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:34 AM   #229
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Ward?
Engine: 8.2 liter ?
Rated Cap: 24 Passenger
This is an old thread but I wanted to comment on the urine trap. I used a much smaller pvc pipe to channel urine from the toilet so the urine trap was much smaller too. It is only for collecting urine and the smaller pipe works fine. I think it's just 1/2" so the exposed surface of any urine in the trap is minimal. A cup of water with a bit of cleaner in it is all that would be required to flush the little that is in the trap (if needed at all).

Ross
rossfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #230
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossfree View Post
This is an old thread but I wanted to comment on the urine trap. I used a much smaller pvc pipe to channel urine from the toilet so the urine trap was much smaller too. It is only for collecting urine and the smaller pipe works fine. I think it's just 1/2" so the exposed surface of any urine in the trap is minimal. A cup of water with a bit of cleaner in it is all that would be required to flush the little that is in the trap (if needed at all).

Ross
Do I understand correctly? You used 4 x 1/2" 90's to create a trap?

How long have you been using it? Any issues?

I have been considering plumbing the diverter into the grey tank but have been reluctant as I do not have a trap in mine.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:43 AM   #231
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Do I understand correctly? You used 4 x 1/2" 90's to create a trap?

How long have you been using it? Any issues?

I have been considering plumbing the diverter into the grey tank but have been reluctant as I do not have a trap in mine.
Mine goes into the grey tank... I'll have to dig up the photos and post them for you.

Sandi
Old 09-25-2017, 10:53 AM   #232
Bus Geek

Hi Sandi,

Do you have a trap in you urine waste line? Have you had any issues with urine mixed with grey? Odor etc?

I have been trying to decide whether to have a separate tank or not. Having a bit of trouble deciding.

Thanks.

S.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #233
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Hi Sandi,

Do you have a trap in you urine waste line? Have you had any issues with urine mixed with grey? Odor etc?

I have been trying to decide whether to have a separate tank or not. Having a bit of trouble deciding.

Thanks.

S.
Nope, no trap, but there are a ton of angles, so they are acting as traps, no odor what so ever... the toilet box is over the wheel well, so it goes down from the diverter (I ordered from the UK and LOVE IT!), at the wheel well it makes a right turn (using 90 degree doo higgies, lol), then another 90 degrees after the hump and then another 90 degrees going into the tank. Looking for the pics I took the other day and will upload.
Sandi
Old 09-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #234
Bus Crazy

As you can see there are plenty of angles to prevent odor.
Also, once a day I flush it with a couple of ounces of water.
Sandi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2017, 12:01 PM   #235
Bus Geek

Thanks for the pics!

I have the same diverter. It has worked well for us.

I am pleased to hear that you have not had any odor issues. Based on your experience, I am going to do the same.

Thank you very much for helping me with that decision.

S.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:38 PM   #236
Almost There

Year: 1972
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 366 BBC
Not sure if this was mentioned but urine separating toilets, and composting toilets are very different.. I personally think composting is the way to go.. Composting toilets do not separate the urine.. Because you need the nitrates from the pee to create the compost. When its time to empty the toilet, I've heard it doesn't smell, and is the consistency of dirt.. With a urine separating toilet... You have to empty the pee... and empty the poo.. which still smells like poo, and looks like poo... because it is poo.. Not compost..
Old 09-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #237
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Thanks for the pics!

I have the same diverter. It has worked well for us.

I am pleased to hear that you have not had any odor issues. Based on your experience, I am going to do the same.

Thank you very much for helping me with that decision.

S.
You are more than welcome! I'll mention also, that I leave a paper towel in the bathroom to cover the diverter with when I'm putting in litter, so it doesn't get in the pan. I am using the screen that came with it, but want to make sure the fine powder doesn't get in there.

Sandi
Old 09-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #238
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanT720 View Post
Not sure if this was mentioned but urine separating toilets, and composting toilets are very different.. I personally think composting is the way to go.. Composting toilets do not separate the urine.. Because you need the nitrates from the pee to create the compost. When its time to empty the toilet, I've heard it doesn't smell, and is the consistency of dirt.. With a urine separating toilet... You have to empty the pee... and empty the poo.. which still smells like poo, and looks like poo... because it is poo.. Not compost..
I have found the complete opposite to be true. Before I got the diverter, I had to change out the bag every other day because it smelled. The urine is what makes it stinky. With only pooping in the bucket, there is absolutely no odor. And the $$$ composters, like natures head, all have diverters, because the pee makes it all smell yucky!

Sandi
Old 09-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #239
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanT720 View Post
Ian, have a look at how all of the commercial "composting" toilets are configured.

All of the major players are urine separating.

And the reality of it is that no composting takes place in any of them if you are using them on a daily basis. They would be more correctly called "desicating" toilets. If used regularly they fill to the point of requiring emptying (of a bucket of poo & cover material) before anything has time to compost.

I have used both urine separating and non separating toilets and I can tell you first hand that the non separating have a notably stronger odor than the separating.

I spent several months trying different configurations until settling on one that is very similar the one Sandi posted pictures of. Main difference in mine is that I have a separate pee tank that I empty onto the compost pile where the real composting takes place. After I arrived at the (near) final configuration I used it full time for a year.

When I go on the road I will be following Sandi's example and divert to the grey tank instead.

You might consider reading through the thread. That will give you a better idea of where we are at and what has already been discussed.

Take care.

S.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #240
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
You are more than welcome! I'll mention also, that I leave a paper towel in the bathroom to cover the diverter with when I'm putting in litter, so it doesn't get in the pan. I am using the screen that came with it, but want to make sure the fine powder doesn't get in there.

Sandi
Another great idea!

I hate having to clean cover material out of the diverter. I do my best to keep it where it belongs but once in a while I miss.......