Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2018, 05:57 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeypj View Post
The way i feel is as long as the bathroom is nicely done a semi ugly toilet isnt a big deal. I'd rather be as off grid as possible.
Aslo, if someone says its ugly, tell them its a $1000 ugly.

mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:23 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Dt 466e
I think we need a baseline for comparison. Is a traditional porcelain throne the metric of beauty for which you are striving toward?
naes14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas EF
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by naes14 View Post
I think we need a baseline for comparison. Is a traditional porcelain throne the metric of beauty for which you are striving toward?

A slim, gloss white toilet vs. a giant piece of speckled plastic? Yes. If I wanted to drop in a wooden box I would have bought a cabin.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:30 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Here is something that may tickle your fancy:

Wostman Eco Dry toilet needs 100 L container below the floor – included in price
(may be able to divert this to a cassette system under the bus for easy removal)

Available to run on DC battery or AC mains electricity
Porcelain
Soft close seat – Whitewostman-from-above
Odour free and easy to use
Urine is diverted – men must sit to urinate
Download the EcoDry Manual 2017
Min height from underside of floor for install container below is 700mm
Container itself is 470mm tall, 650mm long, 440 wide

https://www.toiletrevolution.com/pro...oilet/eco-dry/
Old 09-27-2018, 06:31 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Talk about pricey though...
Old 09-27-2018, 06:32 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Yeah that looks very nice. I found a similar one earlier and it was damn near $6,000. Something with that sleek shape and design would be great. I’m not sure why all companies form their moulds around a 5 gallon bucket. A custom bucket shape would be awesome.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:26 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Sorry - I was going off the title and that "composting Toilets were Horrendous" - which I do not find - I think the look is interesting and it doesn't bother me - nor did the price - I felt it was worth it.

I guess I am not sure what this thread is about - I don't look at toilets a lot during my daily routine on the bus. I hope you find the toilet of your dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatters View Post
Everyone seems to be confused about what this thread is about.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:30 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by naes14 View Post
Here is something that may tickle your fancy:

Wostman Eco Dry toilet needs 100 L container below the floor – included in price
(may be able to divert this to a cassette system under the bus for easy removal)

Available to run on DC battery or AC mains electricity
Porcelain
Soft close seat – Whitewostman-from-above
Odour free and easy to use
Urine is diverted – men must sit to urinate
Download the EcoDry Manual 2017
Min height from underside of floor for install container below is 700mm
Container itself is 470mm tall, 650mm long, 440 wide

https://www.toiletrevolution.com/pro...oilet/eco-dry/

There's an optional pedestal tank that it can sit on, instead of under floor. I'd have a hard time paying $2K for a toilet.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:44 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Composting Toilets are HIDEOUS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer View Post
Sorry - I was going off the title and that "composting Toilets were Horrendous" - which I do not find - I think the look is interesting and it doesn't bother me - nor did the price - I felt it was worth it.

I guess I am not sure what this thread is about - I don't look at toilets a lot during my daily routine on the bus. I hope you find the toilet of your dreams...

I guess if you have a 40 ft bus you may not see it often. If you feel comfortable spending $30,000+ on a conversion and then putting in an ugly ass toilet that’s great. I wish I could feel that way about it. On the other hand if you spend $5,000 on your conversion and you bought a $1,000 toilet then I would imagine spending a 5th of the cost of your conversion on a “nice” toilet would be quite satisfying.

I would edit my original post to specify “manufactured” if editing was allowed for more than an hour.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:49 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Stop in a truck stop and use their toilet for free. Just think of the space that will avail you of for more ascetic pursuits.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:29 AM   #31
Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444EIEIO
Rated Cap: 8 window?
I get what you're driving at

I purchased the Air Head. It's still in the box.

It's not hard to imagine that the $1000.00 price point would allow for a functional & more attractive looking toilet. I don't find the looks of the Air Head offensive, but it's definitely not attractive, sleek, or stylish. I'd call it an R. Goldberg Industrial design project. Quite the opposite approach of the utilitarian home made toilets. Some are more attractive and well made IMO.

At the time of purchase, looks were secondary to me as I was/am a bit frightened by the whole idea of composting poop. The Air Head is said to have a better gasket/seal on the lid and escaping gases are a concern. I still call foul on the belief that poop is really composted in that bucket/vessel.

Will say that it would be much better if the toilet would allow automatic bagging and sealing of the waste vs. the hands on emptying process that's necessary.

The concept needs more work IMO.

Mike
mrpincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:31 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpincher View Post
I purchased the Air Head. It's still in the box.

It's not hard to imagine that the $1000.00 price point would allow for a functional & more attractive looking toilet. I don't find the looks of the Air Head offensive, but it's definitely not attractive, sleek, or stylish. I'd call it an R. Goldberg Industrial design project. Quite the opposite approach of the utilitarian home made toilets. Some are more attractive and well made IMO.

At the time of purchase, looks were secondary to me as I was/am a bit frightened by the whole idea of composting poop. The Air Head is said to have a better gasket/seal on the lid and escaping gases are a concern. I still call foul on the belief that poop is really composted in that bucket/vessel.

Will say that it would be much better if the toilet would allow automatic bagging and sealing of the waste vs. the hands on emptying process that's necessary.

Mike

Have you heard of incinerating toilets? They look about the same but don’t require you to be face to turd to spin a handle.
Old 09-28-2018, 07:45 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpincher View Post

Mike

There's a Dry Flush toilet that bags it up and cinches the bag. Meet The Dry Flush Waterless Toilet Without The Ick Factor

It's not composting, but then neither are "composting" toilets for the most part. Perhaps you can return, or sell, your AirHead? It's about $600, but you've gotta buy the proprietary bags too. This might be more to OP's aesthetic tastes too.....at least it's not speckled like the Nature's Head.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:05 AM   #34
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
I've never seen ANY attractive toilet, except in a $2,000,000 mansion that had every piece metal in the house gold plated. The 1.5 story front entrance horseshoe-shaped double stairway had gold handrails. Every doorhinge was gold. The kitchen sink was gold. The master bathtub had a full-sized swan head for a spicket, with full-sized wings as the hot and cold valve handles -- all gold. Still, the toilet was just a basic squatter with gold trim.

Maybe you could have an artist create a ceramic toilet shaped like a frog or something. You sit in his open mouth, and his tongue can be the lid. Or have one created that looks like the Queen of England's throne.

As for me, I could make some really nice looking fancy lace woodwork that would make a box built from palette wood look like a Baron's throne at least...
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
I've never seen ANY attractive toilet, except in a $2,000,000 mansion that had every piece metal in the house gold plated. The 1.5 story front entrance horseshoe-shaped double stairway had gold handrails. Every doorhinge was gold. The kitchen sink was gold. The master bathtub had a full-sized swan head for a spicket, with full-sized wings as the hot and cold valve handles -- all gold. Still, the toilet was just a basic squatter with gold trim.

Maybe you could have an artist create a ceramic toilet shaped like a frog or something. You sit in his open mouth, and his tongue can be the lid. Or have one created that looks like the Queen of England's throne.

As for me, I could make some really nice looking fancy lace woodwork that would make a box built from palette wood look like a Baron's throne at least...
I kinda like the frog idea!
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:00 AM   #36
Bus Nut

Coachwork: New Flyer
Chassis: D45HF "Viking"
Engine: 11.1L Detroit Diesel S60
Rated Cap: 51,600
Quote:
Have you heard of incinerating toilets? They look about the same but don’t require you to be face to turd to spin a handle.

I've looked at the incinerating toilets: some use diesel fuel, most use propane. They are all as or more expensive than the composting toilets. Then there's the fuel usage.

It seems short of a hole in the ground we're going to pay for disposal - either time, energy or both....

1. Black tank has to be plumbed, crap carried, and dumped at appropriate places.
2. Composting toilets don't use water, but you still might have to "get your hands dirty".
3. Incinerator toilets don't use water, still need to be cleaned from time to time (eeewww, look at that auger!), and burns a certain amount of propane or diesel per "flush".
MarkyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 11:38 AM   #37
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
I have a 28' bus - and still only see the toilet when I use it - you don't have to put it out in the open...

Quote:
I guess if you have a 40 ft bus you may not see it often. If you feel comfortable spending $30,000+ on a conversion and then putting in an ugly ass toilet that’s great. I wish I could feel that way about it. On the other hand if you spend $5,000 on your conversion and you bought a $1,000 toilet then I would imagine spending a 5th of the cost of your conversion on a “nice” toilet would be quite satisfying.

I would edit my original post to specify “manufactured” if editing was allowed for more than an hour.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:09 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
It's called "levity". Not sarcasm.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:02 PM   #39
Bus Nut

IF you are into art and/or music, maybe you could have someone create a toilet or you.....maybe a tuba is in your future.

Don't take my/our posts to heart. Many of us are not in a situation to be able to turn our noses up to a nicely surrounded bucket, much less a $1000.00 jewel.

I wish you luck on your Quest. Please let us know what you find. A review would be good, too.
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:39 PM   #40
Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444EIEIO
Rated Cap: 8 window?
Perspective

Ok, I get it, it's Friday. This is an attractive design.

If you've ever balanced while squatting on two planks above an open pit, in the dark, on a windy moonless night... Or tried to get comfortable sitting on a splintery, circa 1910, wooden out house seat in freezing cold weather. This my friends is an image that I find pleasantly attractive. I wish the Air Head looked like this. Peace.

mrpincher is offline   Reply With Quote