Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77
Crappy thoughts?

Sorry about the pun, couldn't resist...yes, a toilet question: my B700 used a regular RV toilet...there has to be a better way. Suggestions?

Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: DT466/AT545
Re: Crappy thoughts?

Someone recently started a crapper thread. I can't find it right now, but there were some ideas in there especially regarding composting toilets.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:44 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas SafTLiner
Chassis: FE
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 60

We had pretty much settled on a composter, but they are $$$. For now, we are pretty much settled on finding a rest area.
Or a restaurant, or... you get the idea. That thousand dollars will go pretty far in other areas.
dentedvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Engine: DT466/AT545

One of the "composting toilet" ideas is a 5 gallon bucket with a bag liner and some sawdust or kitty litter. Doesn't get any cheaper than that! In fact, I think I will go that route at least initially. I'm going to set one up in my garage to do some "testing" and see how bad it stinks before setting one up in the bus.
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Carpenter Cadet CV
Chassis: G 30
Engine: 350
Rated Cap: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan
One of the "composting toilet" ideas is a 5 gallon bucket with a bag liner and some sawdust or kitty litter. Doesn't get any cheaper than that! In fact, I think I will go that route at least initially. I'm going to set one up in my garage to do some "testing" and see how bad it stinks before setting one up in the bus.
I built an outhouse when I lived in a 52 Ford bus years ago on some vacant land a family member owned, and used wood ash from the stove to cover the "waste product", and it worked well, no smell and no flies, but it was outside not enclosed in the bus. I don't know what effect on composting wood ash would have, perhaps a PH problem. Anyone have any knowledge on this? I am planning to try the bucket method in my current bus when completed.
spirit_of_76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:39 AM   #6

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 8.3L Cummins Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 72

We've been doing some research on composting toilets and have decided to run with the home-made version. However, this raises questions about where to dump the humanure to let it compost (since the bucket is only a holding tank!) ... we're all mobile, so do any of you compost on board? Self-contained composting systems are $$$ but I would like to complete the cycle, you know? I have a mobile container vegetable garden and it would be great to make our own compost on the road ...

Kelly
Kelly&Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly&Zach
We've been doing some research on composting toilets and have decided to run with the home-made version. However, this raises questions about where to dump the humanure to let it compost (since the bucket is only a holding tank!) ... we're all mobile, so do any of you compost on board? Self-contained composting systems are $$$ but I would like to complete the cycle, you know? I have a mobile container vegetable garden and it would be great to make our own compost on the road ...

Kelly
Be keenly aware of the P&O, biohazmat, and other viral remains that exist in human waste. Ever notice how human waste is treated before being turned into enriched soil? The reasons are very many. If you are pondering such a cycle, be very careful of diseases in the plants derived from such recycling. If you remember history this system was in use during the middle ages. The main practice to rid food stuffs from disease during that time was to boil everything into a tasteless mash. Today incineration or chemical treatments are the preferred methods to neutralize human waste. I'm in the health industry, so precautions to prevent the spread of preventable diseases are closely studied. Just sayin.....
Old 06-16-2010, 01:20 PM   #8

Thanks for the considerations! However, folks in the middle ages weren't armed with the information we have today! I've been reading "The Humanure Handbook" by Joseph Jenkins and there's a lot of information in it about the sterilization of pathogens in composting fecal matter and urine. The author composts his family's humanure and performs tests on the humus before using it in his vegetable gardens. The thermophilic bacteria that inhabit compost heaps heat the compost to high temperatures, killing the worst of the pathogens. The waiting period of the composting cycle allows fungi, mesophilic bacteria, and other microorganisms to complete the task of breaking down the organic matter. You are correct that incineration or chemical treatments are effective practices, but with the use of those practices we are throwing away a vital source of nutrients that can be used to rebuild soil diversity.

Where does everyone else dump their buckets? Any more thoughts?

Kelly

PS - Check out www.humanurehandbook.com
Old 06-16-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Without having a 'conventional' RV toilet in the bus yet, we are using what amounts to a bucket with a seat on it. I start with about 2 inches of water in it and a few ounces of 'toilet chemical'. I prefer to use the stuff that claims to be environmentally friendly, whatever they mean by that. When I dump it, if we are in a campground, I just dump it into one of the holes in the ground that you would connect your sewer drain to. If I am in the mountains, I either dump into an outhouse unless I am really far back, then I dig a hole in the ground and dump it in there and bury it. Eventually I will get my tanks and toilet and have a real pooper in my bus!
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:00 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly&Zach
Thanks for the considerations! However, folks in the middle ages weren't armed with the information we have today! I've been reading "The Humanure Handbook" by Joseph Jenkins and there's a lot of information in it about the sterilization of pathogens in composting fecal matter and urine. The author composts his family's humanure and performs tests on the humus before using it in his vegetable gardens. The thermophilic bacteria that inhabit compost heaps heat the compost to high temperatures, killing the worst of the pathogens. The waiting period of the composting cycle allows fungi, mesophilic bacteria, and other microorganisms to complete the task of breaking down the organic matter. You are correct that incineration or chemical treatments are effective practices, but with the use of those practices we are throwing away a vital source of nutrients that can be used to rebuild soil diversity.

Where does everyone else dump their buckets? Any more thoughts?

Kelly

PS - Check out http://www.humanurehandbook.com
Good source. I need to do some more research before posting a complete overview of my concerns. I was addressing several concerns off the top of my head at the moment. I agree there are nutrients that could potentially be recycled. However, there also needs to be care in how human waste is recycled due to the health risks. My curiosity is how much effort is required to acheve this result, and it it worth the effort after everything is done (i.e. less energy required than was put into the recycling effort). Right now I don't have the resources to answer that question on a personal basis, mostly due to returning to school to focus on other studies.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:23 PM   #11

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
I also have a macerater to chew up the poo and spit it out in little poos.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #12

Sorry but I'm not using human waste in anything I grow, I don't care what temp it gets to.

I like worms too much to throw them into a bucket of my poop. I was doing some worm composting until it got too hot and I cooked them by accident. I am still mourning the loss.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 06-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal
I was doing some worm composting until it got too hot and I cooked them by accident. I am still mourning the loss.
Oh crap! They must have felt like $hit......
Old 06-16-2010, 08:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031
Quote:
I was doing some worm composting until it got too hot and I cooked them by accident. I am still mourning the loss.
They would have if I stuck them in a bucket of my poop. I was bummed. I'll have to get another batch.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 06-17-2010, 11:30 AM   #15

Quote:
My curiosity is how much effort is required to acheve this result, and it it worth the effort after everything is done (i.e. less energy required than was put into the recycling effort).
While having a complete humanure composting cycle on board is probably not realistic in terms of space, effort, etc., it's still fun to give it a thought. For the composting part, the effort would be minimal (add to a bin just like regular composting, then leave to cure!). I think the main issue would be dealing with high output levels (that's a whole lotta poop). As we all know, space is limited on a housebus! In a traditional garden I have no doubts it would be worth it, but doing so in a bus remains yet to be seen. And you're completely right that great care needs to be taken to ensure that it's done properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr LuLu
Humanure can have pathogens and be of concern when using it in vegetable gardens, but if it hits the right temp during composting it is just fine. Remember too that urine is 'clean' when it exits your body... drinkable if your fresh water tanks run dry...
Development groups are beginning to use humanure a lot more especially in parts of the world with chronic fertilizer shortages.
As for dumping it... my city has a 'heavy duty' compost facility and will even accept meat/bones etc. It gets hot enough for humanure. When I'm mobile I will probably keep a couple of buckets 'working' in a belly bin... throw in some worms too and have some air holes in the lid. Will have to experiment some. May get too hot for worms. Any one else use worms for composting edibles? They are somewhat sensitive to the heat. Figure the worms can at least get it broken down enough and then can be used on non-edible plants.
Push come to shove... will wrap in plastic and dump in a dumpster and pretend it's dog poo or diapers. Not ideal... but better than throwing yellow colored milk jugs out on the road...
Haha, I will remember that tip. Hopefully we will never have to resort to that! I think it's great that your community has a facility that can accept and compost humanure. Where is that? I would love to compost with worms on board. I've seen it done and it's quite impressive ...

Quote:
Sorry but I'm not using human waste in anything I grow, I don't care what temp it gets to.
Do you use steer or chicken manure on your plants? If it's all clean and sterilized, what's the difference?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Do you use steer or chicken manure on your plants? If it's all clean and sterilized, what's the difference?
Big difference. Cows are herbivores. People are carnivores or omnivores, take your pick. I wouldn't use dog or cat crap either. I'm not telling you not to use it. What ever floats your boat. Where do you think these e-coli outbreaks come from. Animal poop. Two big ones that come to mind. The one with spinach and the one with Odwalla. They didn't pasteurize in the beginning. People died. I don't think it's anything to fool around with.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 06-18-2010, 01:41 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Engine: dt466

Quote:
Quote:
I needed a good belly laugh today..thanks!
Old 06-18-2010, 02:24 PM   #18
Bus Nut

I was beginning to wonder if anyone was getting my sense of humor...............
Old 07-26-2010, 04:16 PM   #19
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird tc2000
Chassis: 3401-3502 ???
Engine: cummins 5.9

does anyone piss in there inhouse outhouse..... or should the liquid always be seperated from the solid.. i just think i would have a problem not pissing in there... and has anybody used lime in the mix of sawdust or kitty litter its what i used in summer camp when i was a wee lad.. in my layout i planned for a black tank but now im going back to the chemical toilet method....
what about disposable bags would the waste dissolve them???...meh trial and error will have to do....do
cheezypsnookle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Oh, this is good for a giggle! I am so glad we are using the old Traveler 910 that we salvaged out of an RV. We picked up a holding tank off of CraigsList that had a toilet attached (it will become either replacement or donor parts for the toilet in the Class C). I can just imagine the reaction of the Health Dept if they thought we were using an indoor outhouse! How fast do you think it would take them to jerk our food permits! I've used them in NC and on job sites. No thanks!
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote