Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2019, 10:39 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharee100 View Post
I think I missed something here. Where is water free?
Wrong question. Aside from a water bill at your home or an RV site where do you pay for water? I have never seen a faucet that takes money.

I gave done lots of camping and backpacking where I filter water from lakes and rivers. All free.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:00 PM   #22
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
OK. Lakes and rivers are not sources I will use. The only faucets I have used are attached to someone who pays for the water. My son owns property with well water. So, technically he doesn't pay for the water, but he does pay electricity to get the water out of the well.
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:33 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Engine: DT530
Rated Cap: 84
Not sure what size bus you have but with my 40' bus I refuel at truck stops. Most interstate truck stops will have water and many have dump stations. FYI.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:44 PM   #24
Skoolie

Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Thanks. Most of the stations I have stopped at charge for the water and the air. I will start checking out stations now where truck go so I will be better prepared when I start traveling in 3 months.
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Thanks. Most of the stations I have stopped at charge for the water and the air. I will start checking out stations now where truck go so I will be better prepared when I start traveling in 3 months.
that really turns me off when merchants charge for air and water - maybe if it's somewhere water has to be trucked in, but even then I don't like it - I admit to being spoiled where I live - it's claimed we have Canada's purest water and all I had to do was drive a sand point down 11 feet until I hit water - I pounded the sand point down to 23 feet - in 50 years of raising a big family, watering lawns and gardens and watering livestock, we've never run low on the coldest most refreshing water you've ever tasted - friends and family often fill their holding tanks on their RVs when they visit, or bring containers to take water home with them - seems like many merchants want to be a mini Nestle's and take over the air we breath and the water we drink
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:04 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
You'll find this at regular gas stations, always drove me nuts to put 4 quarters into a machine to get some AIR.Whats worse is the station is closed and you put your 4 quarters in only to have the machine not turn on, I have yet to go to a truck stop fuel station that charged for water or air. They make enough profit on the large quantities of fuel we buy to give us the amenities for free.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:23 AM   #27
Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
air brake air

Re: air (I am a newbie)

Can you easily use the air for your air brakes to fill tires? And inflatables for the kids?

I see air hoses and tee fittings for sale to truckers to "blow" out the dirt in their cabs..,

My kids have fun riding the air seats up and down (in the driveway), I am thinking of other uses for air: bed lift, my bus used to have a air step, ...
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews2001 View Post

Can you easily use the air for your air brakes to fill tires? And inflatables for the kids?

I see air hoses and tee fittings for sale to truckers to "blow" out the dirt in their cabs..,

My kids have fun riding the air seats up and down (in the driveway), I am thinking of other uses for air: bed lift, my bus used to have a air step, ...
Yes, the brake system has a compressor and tank like any compressor system. Plumb into it and I can run air tool in the garage or any other task that requires compressed air.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #29
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews2001 View Post

I see air hoses and tee fittings for sale to truckers to "blow" out the dirt in their cabs..

Yep. Just make sure all the plumbing, hoses and such are D.O.T. rated and approved, since a failure (broken air line) going down the road could lead to a loss of all air pressure. Installing a valve (which is closed when you drive) would be adequate protection against this as well. (PVC and copper pipe are not DOT approved, if memory serves me correctly.)
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote