Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2017, 02:12 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT360
Grey Tank Troubles

I've looked forever for water tanks and I managed to find a 95 gallon freshwater tank for almost half the price of what similar tanks go for.

95 Gallon RV Water Tank W-214

However, I can't find a similarly priced grey water tank, so I am considering having the company put custom fittings on the freshwater tank to make it function like a grey tank. Can I do this, and if so, how should I? It will be placed on the driver's side in front of the wheel well and sunken shower and a washer/dryer combo unit, two sinks, and the shower will drain to it.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Find another tank for grey water, don't cut up a perfectly good fresh water tank.
Anything will do that has an adaptable inlet and outlet. I made one from a plastic gas tank off a wreck.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
Almost There

My father has a bunch of junk buses that are only used for parts. Could I use a fuel tank off one of them?
Old 05-08-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I think you'd have to ask your dad, but it's probably ok with the rest of us.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:26 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Well, I was going to suggest you find a junk/salvage yard and hunt out something close. But having. Bus graveyard at your disposal is a step up.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 05:44 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendysdrivethrudude View Post
My father has a bunch of junk buses that are only used for parts. Could I use a fuel tank off one of them?
If he has one from a bus that had a gas engine I would say go ahead. One from a diesel will be pretty contaminated and the residue will last a long time unless you can clean it out somehow. Lucky you with a boneyard so close to home.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
I'm using a 110 gal tank from a junk bus for my grey then I took another one cut it in half welded on a 1/4 in plate & using it for my black tank.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:25 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Black tank
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-08-2017, 09:07 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
S&F, I see you installed a macerator on your black tank. I did the same--best thing since fried bacon in my opinion. No more stinky slinky, just a short run of 5/8" garden hose.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
S&F, I see you installed a macerator on your black tank. I did the same--best thing since fried bacon in my opinion. No more stinky slinky, just a short run of 5/8" garden hose.
Jack
Yes ol trunt I'm also using a macerator toilet to pre grind the waste plus I'm using one to pump grey into the black, I'll also be using a 1in hose so by the time I dump things should flow fairly easy. ( I hope)
Old 05-08-2017, 09:59 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
S&F and others. I made a little adapter plate that allows me to direct fit the 5/8 " hose to the "normal" sewer hook up at RV campsites etc. When it is time to dump my tank I just flip a switch inside the bus and all is done automatically.

While this is going on I just sit and think about how smart I am--I know, I know, one day the macerator will quit and I'll be in s#%t city. Oh well, I've been there before!

Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #12
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
If he has one from a bus that had a gas engine I would say go ahead. One from a diesel will be pretty contaminated and the residue will last a long time unless you can clean it out somehow. Lucky you with a boneyard so close to home.
My father is a farmer, and buses are very versatile in that particular profession. He uses them to transport migrant workers, cuts off the tops to haul watermelons, and modifies them into specialized vehicles like fertilizer spreader trucks and goats (which get oranges from the picking tubs into trailers). My grandfather likes to buy engine-less buses, stick a hitch on the front, and turn them into trailers.

All my father's buses are diesel, so if I used a gas tank I'd have to look elsewhere.
Old 05-09-2017, 01:58 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
S&F and others. I made a little adapter plate that allows me to direct fit the 5/8 " hose to the "normal" sewer hook up at RV campsites etc. When it is time to dump my tank I just flip a switch inside the bus and all is done automatically.

While this is going on I just sit and think about how smart I am--I know, I know, one day the macerator will quit and I'll be in s#%t city. Oh well, I've been there before!

Jack
LOL thats why I have a default to close dc powered valve between the tank & pump
Old 05-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #14
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 24
Seems using a fuel tank for water waste is begging for rust problems....I'd hate to be behind the bus when the $#!t hits the road!
Old 05-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoskoolie View Post
Seems using a fuel tank for water waste is begging for rust problems....I'd hate to be behind the bus when the $#!t hits the road!

I have to agree with you but not all tanks are metal. Myself, I have a really tough plastic gas tank and mounted up behind the rear left mudflap area, so it's pretty much protected. If those tires on that side happen to blow, I may get lucky, if they do and the worse happens, I don't really give a chit. That's what car washes are for but the chances of anyone being on my tail that close is slim.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:28 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkoskoolie View Post
Yea but with soaps / shampoos coating the inside & as thick as this tank is it will proably last a good 30 yrs, These tanks came out of a another Crown bus & Crown didn't use cages around their tanks, this thing is a beast. MHOP.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:39 PM   #17
Almost There

If I can't manage to find a tank of the appropriate size/shape/material/price/whatever, could I use two tanks and create some sort of split system and have two dump pipes that join at a single dump valve?
Old 05-09-2017, 05:34 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Quote:
If I can't manage to find a tank of the appropriate size/shape/material/price/whatever, could I use two tanks and create some sort of split system and have two dump pipes that join at a single dump valve?

Your plan sounds feasible if you can lay it out right and have some fall in the discharge pipe for good drainage. I would build it so that the grey tank could be used to flush the lines after the honey tank is dumped. Then if you have to ever take it apart it will be a whole lot cleaner than the other way.
My 2 cents anyway.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:49 AM   #19
Almost There

I'm going to go to a tank company my father does business with and look at what tanks they have available. If I can't find something I like within a reasonable price range I have a backup plan.

The translucent tank was used as an extra water source at the track back when my father and his brothers drag raced. They finally figured out how expensive and dangerous it was, and sold everything but this tank. I've gotten the okay from them to use it in the bus if I can't find a better solution. It holds 55 gallons and has a gate valve for dumping, with a large black cap on the top for filling it and probably for easily cleaning it out.

The black plastic barrel was filled with some nasty green chemical probably used in the groves. Some of the liquid was still in it, which I was sure to be careful with and thoroughly rinse in case it was acid (I've had two bad run-ins with acids and I don't want to have a third). It holds 30 gallons and has two bungs in the top.

Having the two tanks dump from the same valve would be simple enough. Having them both fill at a relatively even rate is something I'd have to put more thought into. Maybe I could have the sinks drain to the small barrel and the shower and washer/dryer drain to the large tank, or figure out some way to make them both fill evenly. I don't know. I'll try to hit up the container company tomorrow and see what they have laying around. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:50 AM   #20
Almost There

Here are the tanks
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3203.jpg