Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2018, 06:23 PM   #1

H/C Water at kitchen and shower with 1 pump/heater

Can anyone post some sort of diagram representing how I get on demand hot and cold water at my kitchen sink and hot and cold water for a shower with 1 tank and 1 pump. Thanks

jordanbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbre ya go.ray View Post
Can anyone post some sort of diagram representing how I get on demand hot and cold water at my kitchen sink and hot and cold water for a shower with 1 tank and 1 pump. Thanks
Here ya go.
HTH
Attached Thumbnails
Plumbing layout 1 dead end compressor.jpg  
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:30 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbray View Post
Fresh Tank ->Pump-->Accumulator-->Instant Heater In-->Instant Heater Out-->T-Fitting-->One Line to Kitchen, One line to Bathroom.

There will be a slight delay for hot water, the closer the instant heater is to the bathroom/kitchen, the shorter the delay

Cold water T's off before the heater, or fit a manifold with one inlet and three outlets. One goes to the Heater, one to the kitchen and one to the bathroom.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:36 PM   #4
Bus Nut

And to add to this, make your main lines 3/4 inch and the feeds to the faucets 1/2 inch. Pex would be best. It can freeze to a point and not burst.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:38 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Marc and Twigg hit it spot on for a typical RV install.

I have read that SOME of the demand water heater manufacturers recommend separate pumps for hot and cold. You may want to check with the manufacturer of the water heater that you are planning on using and see what they say.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Here ya go.
HTH
Great thank you, just clarifying.. I will have to turn the heater on every time I want hot water.. there’s no instant propane heater out there right?
jordanbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:45 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
And to add to this, make your main lines 3/4 inch and the feeds to the faucets 1/2 inch. Pex would be best. It can freeze to a point and not burst.
This is good advice as pressure problems are reduced with wider-bore pipes.

There may be a few flies in the ointment. Most standard tanks come with 1/2" fittings. These would need to be capped and 3/4" bulkhead fittings added.

Same for the pump ... You would need one with larger bore connections.

Same for the accumulator.

I haven't looked, but if everything to the manifold could be 3/4", and 1/2" from the manifold to the fittings, you would get a very efficient system.

Build Thread
Old 01-22-2018, 06:45 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Great thank you, just clarifying.. I will have to turn the heater on every time I want hot water.. there’s no instant propane heater out there right?
The propane heater turns on when you turn the hot water on. They turn off when not in demand.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:46 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Wrong. Use Google to search Skoolie on this topic--there are many discussions and each will lead you to another. Just plain old fashion homework for you to do on a rainy day. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:49 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Nope.

With the instant heaters, they detect the drop in pressure when you open a tap and fire automatically.

Build Thread
Old 01-22-2018, 07:12 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Don't know who that last comment was directed to, would be helpful if they quoted who they were replying to, obviously not me.
Here's the skinny on On Demand Tankless Water Heaters;

"Waiting for hot water is painful no matter how efficiently it was heated.

Water is quickly heated by an on-demand water heater when a hot water faucet is turned on but it can still take "forever" to get hot water at your sink or shower.

Home owners that have recently purchased a tankless water heater are surprised that it actually takes longer for the water to reach the faucet than it did with a traditional tank style water heater.

Why it takes longer to get hot water from a tankless water heater:

On-demand water heaters turn on when a hot water faucet is turned on. But before it starts heating the water it must make sure that the water is flowing.

It takes a lot of energy to heat water instantly and it would not be good to apply that concentrated energy if the water is not moving. Of course water heaters have safety mechanisms built in to prevent this from happening.

One safety feature is to delay turning on the heat until the water has been moving for a few seconds. This adds to the time that hot water takes to get to your faucet.

How to get hot water faster from a tankless water heater:

You are heating the water quickly but wasting more water down the drain and waiting longer for hot water.

We love tankless water heaters because they are more energy efficient, you will never run out of hot water (when properly sized) and they take up less space.

But in order to get hot water faster without wasting water down the drain you need a circulation system. One that returns the cold water in the hot water line to the water heater and one that has a high speed pump to move the water faster than just water pressure alone can.

And it needs to be a system that does not operate continuously (continuous operation voids the water heater's warranty) and that does not keep your water lines hot unless there is a demand for hot water (wastes energy and promotes pinhole leaks)."

Tags
hot water