Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2019, 01:29 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Has anyone used or installed a venturi valve?

Venturi valves use, in shitty layman's terms, differences in pressure to suction fluid, one way, through a valve. An example is an autobailer in small sailboats that suck water through a venturi valve in the bottom of the hull (the quick moving water in the lake has a lower "pressure" than the still water in the bottom of the boat). The KC-10 uses venturi valves all over it's many fuel tanks, which is what originally gave me this idea.

My shortie is too small for a generator/inverter/air conditioner, so I'm installing a swamp/evaporative cooler in the leading edge of the bus roof (where it used to say SCHOOL BUS). The idea is to use my massive water tanks (40 gallons) and the water pump for the house system to pump water up there using a PEX line, where it will trickle over evaporative cooling material and into a reservoir (using the induced wind from driving to evaporate the liquid). This reservoir will drain into a venturi valve, attached to the original PEX line, such that it will drain into the line, but the line will not drain into the reservoir.

Is this possible? Are there any premade solutions for this? I don't mind getting my hands dirty and making my own, but I figured I'd check here first.

TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArgobus View Post
Venturi valves use, in shitty layman's terms, differences in pressure to suction fluid, one way, through a valve. An example is an autobailer in small sailboats that suck water through a venturi valve in the bottom of the hull (the quick moving water in the lake has a lower "pressure" than the still water in the bottom of the boat). The KC-10 uses venturi valves all over it's many fuel tanks, which is what originally gave me this idea.

My shortie is too small for a generator/inverter/air conditioner, so I'm installing a swamp/evaporative cooler in the leading edge of the bus roof (where it used to say SCHOOL BUS). The idea is to use my massive water tanks (40 gallons) and the water pump for the house system to pump water up there using a PEX line, where it will trickle over evaporative cooling material and into a reservoir (using the induced wind from driving to evaporate the liquid). This reservoir will drain into a venturi valve, attached to the original PEX line, such that it will drain into the line, but the line will not drain into the reservoir.

Is this possible? Are there any premade solutions for this? I don't mind getting my hands dirty and making my own, but I figured I'd check here first.
sounds like an innovative idea that has some promise -
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:47 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Disregard, it looks like the sprayers are more efficient than the cooling pads (https://www.jaybird-mfg.com/applicat...s-fan-and-pad/) so I think I'm just gonna go the sprayer route. Although I think I'll have to install another pump at the top to keep the pressure up.
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
. For compactness I would choose a small 12v pump instead of rigging some sort of venturi system. You can get cheap, run-dry, low-pressure pumps all over the net.
Fun things to play with either way!
Old 04-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
While its always fun to reinvent the wheel, sometimes its just better to go with the known. Take a look at this evaporative cooler I found on Amazon and see what you think. Personally, I'll stick with standard AC because it functions well regardless of relative humidity and doesn't turn my bus into a sauna. Evap cooling is effective when the relative humidity hovers around 30% (Ca. desert) not so good in Mississippi.

Here is a link for your evaluation: https://www.turbokool.net/product-p/...amp-cooler.htm.

Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote