Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2019, 05:09 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebuild View Post
Good to know. I guess nothing is completely impervious to freezing.

Mice will make a mess of Pex if they find a way in and nothing to eat. Found out the hard way myself. Never a problem with it breaking from freezing, just don't run the pump till it gets warm enough to thaw completely.

Bus has all copper but leaked when I couldn't keep it heated due to 2 torn rotator cuffs .

John

Old 01-10-2019, 07:19 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
our schoolie will be used for winter travel almost exclusively - we won't worry about grey or dark tanks, or even fresh water tanks - we'll pack our water in 5 gal ( 20 litre ) pails - a five gal pail and a scoop is the most efficient way when watering or feeding 20-odd sleddogs - if the floor of the bus is freezing, the 5 gal pails can be moved to higher ground ( a counter top ) so it doesn't freeze - same method for cooking or washing up, scoop water into a pot and heat it up for washing ) and a porta-potty or chemical toilet for those 'spending time alone' moments - at 40 below, there is little under the bus that won't freeze, so NOT having the convenience of indoor plumbing will be a lot more convenient than having it - I have old trailers, even an old motorhome (has a big dodge motor ( 440? ) with 58,000 miles on propane, complete with push button transmission if anyone is interested ) that have sinks, counters, cupboards, stove tops burners and ovens, propane furnaces with circulating fans, lots of 12v light fixtures, pretty much everything we need except bunk beds and mattresses that aren't mildewed - add an efficiently burning wood stove and we'll have a shelter every bit as good as a log cabin off grid in the woods - ( I can smell the cowboy coffee being brewed on the wood stove as I write - best coffee ever made - lol
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:12 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post

One caveat is that this is Michigan water which may be more resistant to freezing.

That immediately took me back to my youth.....walking on Lake Huron......in July.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:24 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Yup sleddgracer lots of ways to "skoolie". I'm too up town (and old) to much enjoy your style but you'd feel right at home with my coffee. Two heaping table spoons of ground coffee per cup and two more for the pot. Chuck it all together in a NEVER to be washed pot, bring to a rolling boil, remove from fire and sit pot on a cool surface for a minute or so to settle the grounds and pour. What's not to like?
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:58 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Lewis
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
Yup sleddgracer lots of ways to "skoolie". I'm too up town (and old) to much enjoy your style but you'd feel right at home with my coffee. Two heaping table spoons of ground coffee per cup and two more for the pot. Chuck it all together in a NEVER to be washed pot, bring to a rolling boil, remove from fire and sit pot on a cool surface for a minute or so to settle the grounds and pour. What's not to like?
Jack
Yup, I love hearing all the different setups and ways people use their skoolies! And now I want some coffee...
firebuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:15 PM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC
Engine: T444e, 7.3
Rated Cap: 12
We have two 32 gallon tanks under our bed in our shorty. Got them on amazon. Connected them together with pex at the bottom and t’d them off to the pump. Have a filler that is connected to one and then the vent pipes are connected to both.
consti2tion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:53 PM   #27
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Eldorado (REV)
Chassis: Chevy Express Cutaway g3500
Engine: Turbo diesel 6.5L
Rated Cap: 14
My shuttle was converted by prior owner. It had 2 of those water bottles under the sink and a 23 gallon tank for clear water and a 23 gallon tank for grey water. I gutted my shuttle, but am going to purchase new tanks. I have found tanks for $100-200.
Sharee100 is offline   Reply With Quote