Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444EIEIO
Rated Cap: 8 window?
hide-a-way sink ideas?

Hello All

I'm blown away by some very creative ideas and designs on this site, so I wondered if anyone has seen or built a retractable / fold-down / hide-away bathroom sink?? I decided there was no room in my 8 window bus to have room for a mini bathroom sink, however, if a sink folded down above the toilet, I could make it work. Something just for a hand rinse, toothbrushing and shave.

Maybe I could wire an actuator so when the toilet lid was down the sink was deployed; when the toilet lid was up the sink was up.

Google found a couple pictures of stainless steel folding sinks. Doubt I could ever find or afford anything like that.

Regards - MIke

The sink would need a flexible drain and water lines. Is that undoable?

Thanks

mrpincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
prison toilet/sink

I am using a sink/toilet that is all one piece. look at prison toilet/sinks. stainless steel, some used on ebay. there might even be someone here on Skoolie that has one for sale

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Here is a home constructed one that I am planning to copy for our short bus.

Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:23 PM   #4
Skoolie

That's brilliant.

I like that. He solved the flexible drain and water line problem. I could tuck all that away behind a door in a small cabinet.

Thank You.
Old 06-16-2018, 04:45 PM   #5

Some WWII Subs and post war subs had fold away sinks in the officers quarters and I believe that Chris Craft did the same on their custom commuters back in the 1920's or 30's.

Bill
Old 06-16-2018, 06:30 PM   #6
Skoolie

folding boat sinks

We have a genuine Prison cell at the College, where I work. (for one of the training programs) I faintly remember the sink and toilet...I'll go take another look at them.

The folding sink seems to be more popular on boats. I google folding boat sinks and Amazon popped up with a couple SS ones. $300 - $400 each.

I'm going to try to work the idea into my plans. Might try to build it out of Corian. I'll post pictures this fall when I get to the bathroom build.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:39 AM   #7
Bus Nut

http://a.co/fVCzbv4

$89 on Amazon.

I kinda like this idea - wash your hands, and the water from washing your hands helps flush the toilet later. (I think as you wash after you flush, it helps fill the tank rather then just using fresh city water.) Won't work with a lot of bus toilets though. . .

What's your goal with the fold-up sink - more countertop, or just a way to wash your hands in the bathroom? If you could install it on the wall over the toilet so it folded down over the toilet bowl, you could get dual functionality (just not at the same time.)

This might be a little silly, but what about hard-mounting a faucet to the wall, but making the sink out of plastic of some sort with a metal frame? Think of it like washing your hands in a giant ziploc bag - you un-zip it from the wall, and you've got a nice, wide "mouth" to catch the water, but "zip" it closed again, and it folds up flat. (I'm thinking about some of the people who've made showers from a large metal tub and a shower curtain - the solid part is the plumbing, the rest of the space is just a plastic curtain.)
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:44 AM   #8
Almost There

Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 72
to drain the graywater into the back toilet tank is a good idea. the space above the back of a flusher is often wasted anyway. and if you rode the toilet backwards, you can brush n poo at the same time!

realistically speaking, a fold down plus plumbing can be a challenge, especially if you want it to look good

when i am at a loss, i find objects that help me visualize what it is and sort of hold them, or tape them in place.

getting a sense of actual size and use scenarios.

cardboard and duct tape is great for fast and ugly mock ups.

speaking of which; it is time to utilize some masking tape to route some plumbing before i solder it all up.
Nachowarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:05 PM   #9
Skoolie

While not a bathroom setup, and probably not really a way to incorprate it into one, I still like it....
Attached Thumbnails
dillon_20130514_129[1].jpg  
ennonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 02:47 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennonne View Post
While not a bathroom setup, and probably not really a way to incorprate it into one, I still like it....
Now there are some cool ideas I'll need to contemplate, slide-out storage bins.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote