Almost There

Year: 1983
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: SV396 V-8, International
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinCoughlin
Re: How Much Water

Just a note no letting gray water dump out on the ground. Some jurisdictions get cranky about a drain hose, but find tossing a bucket of water perfectly fine. In my current bus I have a 5 gallon water jug and a hand pump thing (like the air pump coffee dispensers) that is next to and over the sink. The sink drains straight into a 5 gallon bucket. I can never over fill the bucket, since both my source and endpoint are equal. As for dumping the washwater, I just carry the bucket over to a handy bush and give it a toss (no mud under the bus for the dogs to get in, either).

That being said.... for the bus I'm building this summer I'm going with BIG tanks. I'm actually raising the floor almost a foot (to give me a flat floor over the wheel wells, plus room for a wiring run and insulation and heat ducting) and the roof almost twice that amount.... This will leave me room for some tanks sandwiched between the original bus floor and the new floor where they hopefully won't freeze.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:17 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84

Hi! I was a FNG here not too long ago, and now I'm a FOG. Doesn't seem to be much of a difference.

What you are probably thinking of, is that most commercially built camping vehicles have the two tank outlets connected into one drain outlet in such a way that you can flush the drain outlet flange, and the hose, with the gray water after you have dumped the black. That's simply the standard way of doing this.

I suppose you could arrange a black-tank-flushing-system with your gray water, but I'm not up on that. What I do know, is that some of the "real" campers have a "sprinkler" system in the black tank for flushing it -- I just don't know if they use gray or fresh water for that.

At the less expensive end of the spectrum, you can buy -- or make yourself -- a spray wand that you stick down the toilet and swish water around to rinse out the tank.
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:35 AM   #23
Almost There

Year: 1983
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: SV396 V-8, International
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via Yahoo to KevinCoughlin

The other bit for having some way of stuffing the grey water into the black is to give it a good bit of pressure. When you have a partially filled black tank (for example - you only put 25 gallons into your giant 100 gallon black tank) and go to the dump station, you might have some issues making sure that when you pull the valve handle it goes "whoosh" out into the dumper. If you kick 50 more gallons of grey water into the black tank first.... you have that much more ready and waiting and primed by gravity to give it a good push - and not clogging in the hose or valve body.

Commercial RV systems say that it should never be smaller than 3" openings on the way out. Big valves, big pipes, and no really fancy tight corners, so that when it is time, it really DOES "all flow downhill".

Then, after the first dump, you can rinse the potty tank with the wand through the toilet itself (and of course, you have a separate hose for that which is never used for filling your potable tanks, right?). Whatever is left of the grey is then dumped as well, clearing out the valves and lines.

In the next bus I'm leaning towards a pair or 40 gallon potable source tanks (already have them), one HUGE custom built black/grey tank (120 - 150 gallons), and a tap before the tank that lets me divert the grey water before it goes into the tank if I am at a place where I have the chance to hook up a drain hose. I can "top off" and help rinse the black/grey combo tank by just turning on the shower and letting it run until I fill the tank enough to give it the final dump. I like the idea of "sprinklers" built into the tank - I will have to look into that. If I am building the tank, I might as well add some bells and whistles.

Of course, currently out in the boondocks where I live, I use a thermophilic composting system - look up a "sawdust toilet" or "humanure handbook".... but this only works if you live on your own land, it does not translate well to something mobile, as it requires a properly setup composting bin.