Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2019, 12:52 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Looking For A Water Counter?

I'm looking for something I can use to screw into a sink or shower spout to count the amount of water used in each shower/etc to then judge and calculate the amount of water I'll need for the build.

NavigatedChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:58 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Search for flow meter.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:02 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
You might try looking in Mcmaster-Carr as they do have flow meters. Whether it would just screw on a shower or not I am not sure. For reference a shower head is normally 1/2" NPT, so looking for a flow meter with this thread will yeild better results.

By the way 5 gallons per person per day, works out to be a good average for us, assuming short showers everyday, some dish washing, and normal bathroom use with an RV toilet.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:47 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Most fixtures have the gpm engraved on them.

You can easily measure the gpm by opening the fixture into gallon (for ex milk jug and measure how long it takes to fill. Then track how long you use the fixture.

If you currently pay your own waterbill there's already a water meter where the water enters the house.
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 08:55 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have used a 5 gallon bucket and a stopwatch to measure the flow of my shower.

With some conservation measures we averaged about 5 gallons per day per person. That sounds when we started using the clothes washer.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:05 PM   #6
Bus Nut

I have created a device that does just that, although it isn't powered yet. I installed this 1/2" flow meter (https://www.adafruit.com/product/828) just outside of my fresh water tank when I did the plumbing, and wrote some code on an Arduino that displays all the relevant information. Here's how it works:

- I inserted a liquid level sensor in the vent of the freshwater tank, so that when I'm filling it up, a blue LED will light up at the inlet telling me that the tank is full (so I don't have to fill until it overflows out the vent). My tanks have 40 gallons of capacity, so when the light turns on, I know I have 40 gallons and the Arduino changes the water level to 40 gallons (it'll be more than 40 gallons actually, but I have to ops test it to include all the water in the plumbing lines too).

- The Arduino is attached to the water pump circuit, so that if the water pump is on, so is the Arduino--and when it pumps water through, the flow meter registers how much water is flowing out of the tank. It's a simple calculation to subtract this water flow from the 40 gallon full level, giving me exactly how many gallons are remaining in my tank

- The 7 segment display automatically displays water flow when it starts pumping, so that we can see how many gallons per minute we're using as we run the sink or the shower. There's a large arcade style button that will cycle through the different fields, though, so I can see how much water we're using at the moment, the remaining water, how much water we're using per day, how many days we have left until we need to refill (at current usage), and I think that's it (I had to install a battery powered clock for this feature, but in hindsight I should've just used a GPS module for better accuracy and less batteries)

- It writes these values to its internal memory so that when we leave the bus and turn the pump off, it still knows how much water we have, and when we come back later and turn it back on, it'll still work

Unfortunately I don't have electrics in the bus yet, so I haven't calibrated or installed it, but I've built the Arduino device and ops tested it using a glass of water to simulate a full tank and everything works as advertised. Once I actually put it in, I'll have to calibrate it with a full tank of water, but that'll probably be a month or two away. I'll post the update with the code here or on my build thread when I do it.
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:18 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I have used a 5 gallon bucket and a stopwatch to measure the flow of my shower.

With some conservation measures we averaged about 5 gallons per day per person. That sounds when we started using the clothes washer.
Darn auto-correct!

Our water use doubled when we started using the clothes washer.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote