Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #1

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Transit
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 78 Lug
(Newbie) idea's on a small water system

Like I stated first time jumping into this keep that in mind lol.

I want to keep this system small and cheap.... I am using this every other weekend out at the race track so a water source is close by but I can not hook directly to it no shower or toilet and maybe 5g of usage a day.

brianwells4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:04 AM   #2
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwells4 View Post
Like I stated first time jumping into this keep that in mind lol.

I want to keep this system small and cheap.... I am using this every other weekend out at the race track so a water source is close by but I can not hook directly to it no shower or toilet and maybe 5g of usage a day.
Small and cheap? You can, and my initial plan was to go this way, use out of hte car camping items to fit the bill... If you aren't full timing it might not be a bad idea anyway. FWIW, I have found for 2 people, 7 gallons lasts for 2 days if used right...

7 gallon blue Reliance "Aquatainer" cubes

Zodi "Hot Tap" instant hot water shower system. Provide plenty of ventilation, these are intended to be used in privy tents...

For the toilet. Reliance "Luggable Loo" toilet seat for 5 or 7 gallon bucket. Add your own bucket. 5 gallon tends to be a bit short. 7 gallon buckets offer a nice height.

You also want Double Doodie waste bags. They are the toilet liner bags for the bucket toilet system. Make sure you get the ones with Bio Gel. They act somewhat like cat litter and turn waste into a contained gel that will biodegrade, but not slosh around.
dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
Small and cheap? You can, and my initial plan was to go this way, use out of hte car camping items to fit the bill... If you aren't full timing it might not be a bad idea anyway. FWIW, I have found for 2 people, 7 gallons lasts for 2 days if used right...

7 gallon blue Reliance "Aquatainer" cubes

Zodi "Hot Tap" instant hot water shower system. Provide plenty of ventilation, these are intended to be used in privy tents...

For the toilet. Reliance "Luggable Loo" toilet seat for 5 or 7 gallon bucket. Add your own bucket. 5 gallon tends to be a bit short. 7 gallon buckets offer a nice height.

You also want Double Doodie waste bags. They are the toilet liner bags for the bucket toilet system. Make sure you get the ones with Bio Gel. They act somewhat like cat litter and turn waste into a contained gel that will biodegrade, but not slosh around.

Ok so maybe not that cheap and small lol here is what I have in mind so far...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007WXJDQ...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006WPQMWM...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 04-18-2018, 11:07 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Look for sprayer tanks, FDA approved for potable water. I bought two fifty gallon RomoTech tanks from Northern Tool. About $130 per tank. Shipping was not bad, and that's why I bought them. When you get out of the UPS package size limit, shipping costs become much, much more.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:08 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwells4 View Post
Ok so maybe not that cheap and small lol here is what I have in mind so far...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007WXJDQ...v_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006WPQMWM...v_ov_lig_dp_it
FWIW, I would think a tankless heater would be easier on the budget, on the propane use, and on the water. I've been looking at the various units, and the Ecotemp L10, and the Excel tankless propane heater seem to be coming out tops around here. You'd need a outside vented compartment I would think to house the heater, just like that traditional Atwood, but you gain the benefits of a tankless...

Not sure how well the Thetford works, but the reviews look pretty good.

You might want to look into the Porta Potti Curve as well. I've heard really good things about those!
dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:16 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I purchased a 5 litre boiler and a 30 litre boiler (both demand) from Amazon.de. They're 220 VAC, but this can be supplied by the inverter.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 04:31 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
I purchased a 5 litre boiler and a 30 litre boiler (both demand) from Amazon.de. They're 220 VAC, but this can be supplied by the inverter.
What kind of inverter are you running that produces 220VAC? Amazon.de is Germany. Are you still in Montana?
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 07:50 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Yeah, I'm still in Montana and I know that Amazon.de is in Germany, where I lived for a few years in the Army. I don't like keeping massive amounts of hot water when they just sit all day. I did order both and I have both. My power supply is in the basement and I have 12 VDC, 120 VAC and 220 VAC coming out of it. The inverter is 1450 watts and I have 3 solar panels for the roof, 140 watts each.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbhost View Post
FWIW, I would think a tankless heater would be easier on the budget, on the propane use, and on the water. I've been looking at the various units, and the Ecotemp L10, and the Excel tankless propane heater seem to be coming out tops around here. You'd need a outside vented compartment I would think to house the heater, just like that traditional Atwood, but you gain the benefits of a tankless...

Not sure how well the Thetford works, but the reviews look pretty good.

You might want to look into the Porta Potti Curve as well. I've heard really good things about those!

Thank you I am ordering the Eccotemp FVI-12-LP as we speak because of your recommendation. In the past week or so I have been doing much thought and I think I am going to turn away from the self contained toilet and do a black tank under the bus. Any suggestions there?